PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Dark Cloth

Peter De Smidt
12-Jan-2019, 14:36
The other day, I pulled out my 8x10 Darkjacket, and the fabric has deteriorated. It's sticking together. Anyway, what is the current state of commercial dark cloths? I'll probably stick to 4x5, and it's very true that I can just use a dark, heavy sweatshirt, but maybe there's a fairly new decent commercial option? I don't want to make my own, or use ones with velcro, ties, weighted corners.... It'd mostly be used in colder weather.

Jac@stafford.net
12-Jan-2019, 14:44
Peter, you might hate me for this. I described to my wife a desirable dark cloth one that would cover 8x10" or 4x5", stretch snugly over the ground glass and have a sleeve to allow film holder insertion/removal and she replied, "What about one of those stupid oversized Harley-Davidson T-shirts you never wear."

pgk
12-Jan-2019, 14:48
Well, there's this one: https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/product/?pk=07ab732d-34d3-4f0a-a548-64193008df0e

Sal Santamaura
12-Jan-2019, 15:01
Check out this supplier:

https://www.wandererphotogear.com/dark-cloths

Kerosene Hat
12-Jan-2019, 16:51
Another vote for Wanderer dark cloths. Reasonably priced, comfortable and highly functional.

asf
12-Jan-2019, 21:53
The newer hybrid Blackjacket no longer uses the silver material that breaks down
for me their design is still the best

I have 2 of the original hybrid models, I don't store them folded up so the aluminized material doesn't get sticky
like the Harrison products that use the same material proper storage is key to longevity (even though it's a pain)

Peter De Smidt
12-Jan-2019, 22:05
Yeah, that was the problem. It was folded up for quite awhile. I learned about some new options. Thanks!

biedron
12-Jan-2019, 22:58
Peter,

I use the BTZS hood: http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=675 and have been happy with it.

Bob

Tim V
13-Jan-2019, 01:14
BTZS is ok, but I had to modify mine extensively to fit over my 8x10 rear standard as the drawsting didn't pull out enough. Also added extra Velcro as found I was fumbling with it a lot. Wouldn't buy again.

mpirie
13-Jan-2019, 01:19
+1 for the Paramo Dark Cloth. It was made to Joe Cornish's specification.

It's light, showerproof, packs down really small, elasticated at the camera end and has both dome and zip fasteners down it's length for adjustment.

Mike

John Layton
13-Jan-2019, 06:53
Am designing one incorporating close up glasses and a face cowl so my nose and mouth are always outside the bag, so my breath won’t fog things up (which is the biggest pita, imho).

Peter De Smidt
13-Jan-2019, 10:06
Hey, John. Have you tried any anti-fog treatment on the viewing side of the ground glass?

Your project sounds like a Sinar bag bellows with magnifier board and eye shield.

Peter De Smidt
13-Jan-2019, 10:08
Peter, you might hate me for this. I described to my wife a desirable dark cloth one that would cover 8x10" or 4x5", stretch snugly over the ground glass and have a sleeve to allow film holder insertion/removal and she replied, "What about one of those stupid oversized Harley-Davidson T-shirts you never wear."

Not at all, Jac. I've gone that route many times, although I prefer a sweatshirt.

knjkrock
13-Jan-2019, 19:48
I have been happy with my Stone Photo Gear.