PDA

View Full Version : Galvin 2X3 view camers

James R. Babb
29-Sep-1997, 13:56
Anyone have experience with these Galvin babyviews they'd care to share? I need swings and tilts for some specific jobs but can't use larger than 2x3, and thes e things look like just the ticket--provided I can find a used one.

Gregory A Kriss
21-Oct-1997, 13:49
They're getting harder and harder to find lately and some people are trying to g et top dollar for them ($1,000+ since other 2x3 options are up in that range. Th ey were handbuilt by Mr. Galvin (California, you can find his addressa and phone # in VIEWCAMERA magazine). In comparison with current "machine/computer built 6 x9's they are no where near as smooth. They do however offer all the movement op tions you'll ever need, but with lock and unlock controls instead of geared move ments. I am curently adapting my Galvin to a 67 Bronica body for photomacrograph y (Micro Nikkor lenses in shutters... these lenses are current but not at all we ll known and actually few out in the scientific community. Anyways.. I use a 100 mm Symmar and a 150 Xenar withthe Galkvin to make the outfit ultra compact and r ugged and hell for backpacking.. Roll film backs are the way to go, I especially like the Horseman roll film backs which are not all that much $$$$ used. All in all the Galvin in like the old VW Beetle (yes I own one of these also) simple, always work, and get you there but wiothout all the bells and whistles or power windows or AC.

Greg

James R. Babb
21-Oct-1997, 17:46
Thanks for the information. I was afraid they might be trending toward cult stat us. I deja-viewed up some old ads and found them in the $250 range a year or so ago; what few ads I saw recently were way up from that.

But then, priced any VW Beetles lately?

I need to find something unfashionable to want.

David H. Sherman
3-Nov-1997, 17:31
I just bought a 2X3 Galvin for $700. I looked at one for $500 but was in poor c ondition and looked like an early model. The one I bought had two rails, a shor t and a long which can be used seperately or together. The only negative featur e is the teflon bushing that the front and rear standards ride on. They were wo rn so I reversed them and the camera movements are much tighter. These can be re placed with 1/32" thick teflon sheet stock. Peter Gowland also makes a 2X3 view camera that you might want to look at.