PDA

View Full Version : Timed Cable release Question

Chad Shindel
8-Oct-2005, 08:37
I'm looking to do a project in which I will often be in the photographs and won't always have the ability to bring someone along to trip the shutter on my view camera lens. So, I need either a timed shutter release mechanism or a wireless one that has a delay. The 40 foot air releases wont work because sometimes I'll be further away, and I don't want the cord in the picture. I've located three timed cable plungers, but the longest I can set any of them to is about 19 seconds, and I would prefer something in the area of a minute. Does anybody have or know of anything like what I am looking for. Any ideas would be welcomed. Thanks.

chad

Ole Tjugen
8-Oct-2005, 12:01
Autoknips.

These are old German mechanical timers, and were made in great quantities in a bewildering number of models. Some of them go up to about a minute (at least one of mine does), some thread onto the release socket, some are made to press the plunger of a cable release.

Chad Shindel
8-Oct-2005, 12:41
Thanks Ole Tjugen,

You don't happen to have any you want to sell do you?

chad

Ted Harris
8-Oct-2005, 14:45
Chad, Prontor also made one. I'd have to check mine but goes to at leas 30 seconds maybe longer.

Bob Salomon
8-Oct-2005, 14:48
Ole,

Most of those were self-timers not long exposure timers weren't they?

He is looking for something more like the discontinued Prontor Long Exposure Release from the Prontor Professional. Last list price was in the $600.00 range.

Chad Shindel
8-Oct-2005, 15:38
Actually, I'm not looking for the Prontor for long exposures. I am looking for the self-timer autoknips that Ole mentioned. I need something to trigger the shutter for me so that I can be in the picture. I'll be shooting at something close to 1/30th of a second so I don't need the prontor set up. Thanks all.

Ole Tjugen
8-Oct-2005, 16:16
At one time I had eight of the little thingies, but I'm down to two (different) now. They turn up on ebay.de so often that I got all of mine included with other gear I bought - they're so cheap the shipping is ususlly higher than the price. About $5 should get you a nice one :)

Brian Ellis
8-Oct-2005, 20:16
I used to own a gadget that screwed into the shutter and it delayed the release for up to about 30 seconds depending on the time you set. I bought mine from Adorama but I'm sure Porters and other similar places probably also sell them. I used it with a Pentax 67 camera but I assume it would work with any shutter as long as the shutter accepts a standard cable release. Cost about $10.