PDA

View Full Version : Actual formula for Pyrocat HD A and B solutions

Steven Ruttenberg
9-Jan-2019, 11:54
I am looking at Sandy Kings write up on mixing and the ingredients he lists do not match the ingredietns listed on Photographers Formulary site. I would like to try mixing my own from scratch. Are they just using different names? I am also trying to exchange my liquid they sent for the dry version as well.

aaronnate
9-Jan-2019, 11:57
I was referred to this site. I just ordered the chemicals from art craft chemicals to mix my own.

http://www.pyrocat-hd.com/html/mixing.html

Jim Noel
9-Jan-2019, 12:00
I am looking at Sandy Kings write up on mixing and the ingredients he lists do not match the ingredietns listed on Photographers Formulary site. I would like to try mixing my own from scratch. Are they just using different names? I am also trying to exchange my liquid they sent for the dry version as well.

Use Sandy's list. I have had trouble with Pyrocat fromPF.

Steven Ruttenberg
9-Jan-2019, 12:15
Sounds good.

Steve Sherman
9-Jan-2019, 14:13
Copied below is the exact formula that I have used since 2002 or there abouts. The Phenidone does not dissolve in water so it is recommended and I have done for years to dissolve Phenidone in a small amount of alcohol and then add to the rest of the solution, it works fine that way. The B component, Potassium Carbonate is also difficult to get into solution, add very slowly and be patient it will eventually all go into solution. Stored in brown stopper bottles A will last close to a year while B will
Last indefinitely

Part A
Distilled Water (50¡ C) 750 ml
Sodium Metabisulfite 10 g
Pyrocatechin 50 g
Phenidone 2.0 g
Potassium Bromide 1.0 g
Distilled Water to make 1000 ml

Part B
Distilled Water 750 ml
Potassium Carbonate 750 g
Distilled Water to make 1000ml

Alan9940
9-Jan-2019, 15:13
I use the same formula as Steve and mix up the same way, except I use propylene glycol for the A solution. Worked this way for many years without issue.

Steven Ruttenberg
9-Jan-2019, 15:37
That is the formula I am looking at now. Considerably different from PF. I am gonna order chemicals this week and make up a small batch.

Wayne
9-Jan-2019, 21:33

Actually the only difference between the 2 is sodium bisulfite vs metabisulfite which is no difference at all because meta become bi in solution. Formulary has the ingredients for Crawley's FX-1 figure prominently on their Pyrocat HD page for some reason, but if you click on the "Tech Info" link a pdf pops up that gives the exact same recipe as Sandy. Which makes sense, since he invented it.

Steven Ruttenberg
10-Jan-2019, 00:26
I will check that out in the morning.

Cor
10-Jan-2019, 02:47
I have been mixing most of my developers my self for ages, including PyrocatHD in glycol. For whatever mysterious reason a couple of years ago I got a white precipitate in the A solution, and could not get it working again (that is: the developer did still work, but I could not get the preciptate in solution again, and that worried me). I switched to PyrocatHDC, almost identical, and no problems since than...

Good luck,

Cor

Cor

jp
10-Jan-2019, 05:59
I switched to PyrocatHDC, almost identical, and no problems since than...

Good luck,

Cor

Cor

HDC works the same for me too. Fewer ingredients for DIY which is why I tried it. No problems with the Photographers Formulary pyrocat hd, shipping just got kinda steep for me

Greg Y
12-Jan-2019, 10:06
After working with PMK for many years, i decided not to mix my own pyro from dry chemicals. It wasn't worth the cost of a respirator etc to me. I switched to Formulary PyrocatHD & then HD in glycol. It is the only film developer i use except for a very brief foray w Xtol. I personally have never had development problems with Bud's products & use the 50 litre kits and leave them in their original plastic bottles. Of course this is one sample and your experience may be different than mine. I get consistently good negatives & haven't had the precipitate problem.

Steven Ruttenberg
15-Jan-2019, 23:06
The issue is not standard development times, it is the extended minimal, semi-stand and stand development where the developer just sits there for long periods of time so microscopic particles will wreak havoc with the film, but for normal development and agitation cycles, the developer can never sit long enough to cause an issue.

So, I will be experimenting with filtering for ma, ema and stand developing as well as mixing my own.