PDA

View Full Version : Are any medium format lens circles large enought to cover 4x5?

ruilourosa
8-Jan-2019, 04:51
Hello

I know that most lenses for bayonett mount, rigid cameras will have a very small excess of lens circle around the frame of their intended formats, but... some may go a bit further...

most medium format lenses will fit directly onto #00, #0 or #1 shutters and i could use them in some DIY cameras...

is there some tables or i just have to check...

thanks

Rui Lourosa

Dan Fromm
8-Jan-2019, 07:33
A few shortish lenses for MF cameras -- the 58/5.6 and 60/5.6 Hexanon/Omegon come to mind, also the 4"/2.0 TTH as fitted to Vinten F.95, AGI F.134 and F.139 -- will stretch to 2x3 but not to 4x5. Longer lenses might (great stress might) stretch to 4x5 but you'll have to try them to find out. The 12"/4 TTH telephoto fitted to those aerial cameras is said to cover 4x5, barely.

I take it you're looking for cheap thrills. Good luck.

Oslolens
8-Jan-2019, 11:03
The 127mm Mamiya for Polaroid is said to cover 4x5". Long time since I had it. Sold as it could not be fitted to Cambo SC.

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small Chamonix

Oslolens
8-Jan-2019, 11:07
The 127mm Mamiya for Polaroid is said to cover 4x5". Long time since I had it. Sold as it could not be fitted to Cambo SC.

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small ChamonixHere it is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Near-Mint-Mamiya-Sekor-P-127mm-f-4-7-For-Universal-Press-From-Japan-8331/123579430007

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small Chamonix

Corran
8-Jan-2019, 12:53
I have seen images from Pentax 67 lenses that appear to have much larger image circles than the 6x7 frame. I believe I have seen an image from the 105mm f/2.4 covering 4x5 at portrait distances IIRC. Of course corner performance is probably not good, but if that was your concern, you probably wouldn't be adapting MF lenses!

I am sure that any typical shuttered lens that could fit into a normal shutter and adapted to LF easily has been tried. Google is your friend here, or if you have them already, just try it.

ruilourosa
8-Jan-2019, 14:33
I have a lot of lenses for lf...

since the shutter size is a camera standard, i could use a bronica lens or mamiya lens on a diy camera or in a view camera fitted with a medium format back.

just wandering :) cheap thrills are welcome :D

Dan Fromm
8-Jan-2019, 14:44
As long as your DIY camera has short enough flange-focal-distance, you can trigger the lens' shutter on it (not possible with some MF lenses), and you don't need the lens to cover more than its native format, you'll be fine.

If you want to use MF lenses in barrel, e.g., Pentax 67 system, look into getting a 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic.

There are adapters for using RB67 lenses on view cameras, there's a hint about what can be used, not about coverage. Published coverages for these lenses give the size of the subject at the lens' closest focusing distance. Not what we think of as coverage.

Jac@stafford.net
8-Jan-2019, 14:55
Hold on. I am confused. Are their common shutters that accept 39mm (Leica) threads?

Bob Salomon
8-Jan-2019, 15:11
Hold on. I am confused. Are their common shutters that accept 39mm (Leica) threads?

No.

But Linhof offered their Macro board system with a specially modified Copal 0 to accept Macro Componon lenses in Leica thread mount after they discontinued the version for Zeus’s Luminars.

Havoc
8-Jan-2019, 15:13

You're not alone. I'm very sure that most MF lenses will not fit in any standard LF shutter. Even the lens parts of a GX680 that is internally build like a LF lens don't fit in a standard #1 as the threads of that electric Seiko is different. And as far as Mamiya Press or Fuji 690 lenses are concerned I think it will be a lot easier to just mount a spare body coupling to a lens board.

Some TLR lenses might be adaptable to standard shutters work just like those of old 6x9 folder cameras.

Maris Rusis
8-Jan-2019, 16:45
The 127mm f3.8 for the Mamiya RB67 covers 4x5 at infinity when I shoot it on my Tachihara 45GF. By the way the 37mm f4.5 fisheye for the RB67 doesn't cover 4x5. Tried it day before yesterday and got 80mm diameter circular images.

Dan Fromm
8-Jan-2019, 16:49
Hmm. 38/4.5 Biogon will do 84mm. 6x6 is its limit, but on 2x3 it offers very interesting opportunities for cropping.

ic-racer
8-Jan-2019, 16:54
Are any medium format lens circles large enought to cover 4x5?

Horseman/Topcor 120mm (for 6x9 medium format camera) will cover 4x5 with a tad to spare.

https://sunrise-camera.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/products/5933_TOKYO%20KOGAKU_SUPER%20TOPCOR%20120mm%20F5.6/5933_7.JPG

ic-racer
8-Jan-2019, 17:04
As mentioned above, lenses that DON'T cover can still be used if one does not mind the dark corners. For example this is the Horseman/Topcor 75mm used on 4x5". The nice thing about the Horseman/Topcor 6x9cm Medium Format lenses is that they come in Seiko shutters.

MAubrey
8-Jan-2019, 17:07
Some of the Fuji GX680 lenses have image circles that cover 4x5 without movements. They were designed to have substantial movements for their original 6x8 format.

The main challenge is that their shutter is electronic, so you either need to find that weird/non-standard sized Seiko #1 shutters and then struggle to loctite-glued lenses out of their mounting holes. After that though, it's smooth sailing. I have the 180mm f/3.2 mounted on my Speed Graphic.

Dan Fromm
8-Jan-2019, 17:09
The nice thing about the Horseman/Topcor 6x9cm Medium Format lenses is that they come in Seiko shutters.

The not so nice thing about those infernal objects is that they don't have cable release sockets. They rely on a cable holder that's attached to the Horseman lens board.

MAubrey
9-Jan-2019, 13:50
Some Fuji GX680 have image circles that do, since they were designed for substantial movements on on MF.

BUT, it isn't easy or simple. They use electronic shutters of the non-standard Seiko #1 variety. So first, you need to find the correct size mechanical shutter, then you need to struggle to remove cells from the original shutter (which Fuji makes extremely difficult). If you can succeed in doing both of those, you'll have some thing quite nice.

Still, if you put in the effort, the Fuji 180mm f/3.2 makes for a lovely poor man's Xenotar.

ic-racer
9-Jan-2019, 16:11
The cable release socket for the Seiko SLV is mounted on the lensboard. The OP is building a camera, I suspect he won't give up because he can't figure out how to trigger a shutter.

Tin Can
9-Jan-2019, 16:19
I bought an eBay Mamiya RB lens adapter board that enabled the shutter, put a RB 50mm on a 4x5, but got bored.

I touched the setup today, maybe next lifetime I will get back to it. :)

linhofbiker
9-Jan-2019, 16:33
I have a Mamiya 50mm f/6.3 which is designed for 6x9. I have it in a copal 0 shutter. It purported to be a similar design to the Biogon. I am setting up my 5x7 Kardan Bi to check out the image circle of many lenses for digital and film use. Hopefully I can provide answers to questions like "what is the coverage of this lens" at least for the lenses I have accumulated. I hope to have an answer for many lenses such as my Schneider 120/2 cinelux-ultra projection lens. Stay tuned, because I must drag myself away from my car building project. Too many projects in retirement!

ruilourosa
10-Jan-2019, 03:01
Hello!!

I also have some mamiya press lenses, but my focus here would be transplanting some bronica etrs, sq or gs into copals... probably i will be stuck in the format they are intended to, but i will give them a try...

thanks!!!

Rui Lourosa

Havoc
11-Jan-2019, 12:15
Some Fuji GX680 have image circles that do, since they were designed for substantial movements on on MF.

BUT, it isn't easy or simple. They use electronic shutters of the non-standard Seiko #1 variety. So first, you need to find the correct size mechanical shutter, then you need to struggle to remove cells from the original shutter (which Fuji makes extremely difficult). If you can succeed in doing both of those, you'll have some thing quite nice.

Still, if you put in the effort, the Fuji 180mm f/3.2 makes for a lovely poor man's Xenotar.

Good to know it is worth it. I took apart a cheap GX 125mm. The idea is to get the electronic shutter working if I ever find enough time to get to it. But taking it apart wasn't hard using one of those "Zyliss Strongboy" jar openers and a rubber glove. But items should be in any toolbox.