PDA

View Full Version : How do E6 3-bath kits work without reversal bath, etc

Dhuiting
6-Jan-2019, 14:33
I’m trying to figure out how a three-bath E6 kit could still develop somewhat properly by completely skipping the reversal bath step, as well as the pre-bleach conditioner step?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interneg
6-Jan-2019, 16:17
I’m trying to figure out how a three-bath E6 kit could still develop somewhat properly by completely skipping the reversal bath step, as well as the pre-bleach conditioner step?

Essentially it's got an extremely powerful reducing agent (SnCl for example) to fog the silver - as I understand it, the CD & reversal agent can go bad at different rates (and the reversal agent in a combined CD/ reversal bath apparently can have to be nastier than in separate baths) - keeping them apart apparently allows better process control & replenishment. The blix step is apparently also not ideal either. If you head over to Photrio, Ron Mowrey ('Photo Engineer' is his username) who worked on blixes at Kodak has explained their shortcomings in 3-bath E6 extensively.

Pere Casals
6-Jan-2019, 16:26
"There are two versions of the E-6 process. Commercial laboratories use a six-bath chemical process. The 'hobby' type chemistry kits, such as those produced by Tetenal, use three chemical baths that combine the color developer and fogging bath solutions, and the pre-bleach, bleach and fixer bath solutions. The three-bath process has a discrete color developer step in between."

So Colortec is not skipping steps, just if makes several steps in some single baths. Not that rare, Monobath processing for BW negative films do combine developer and fixer baths in a single one.

Dhuiting
6-Jan-2019, 17:10
Essentially it's got an extremely powerful reducing agent (SnCl for example) to fog the silver - as I understand it, the CD & reversal agent can go bad at different rates (and the reversal agent in a combined CD/ reversal bath apparently can have to be nastier than in separate baths) - keeping them apart apparently allows better process control & replenishment. The blix step is apparently also not ideal either. If you head over to Photrio, Ron Mowrey ('Photo Engineer' is his username) who worked on blixes at Kodak has explained their shortcomings in 3-bath E6 extensively.

So it’s added to the 1st Dev. Makes sense! Thanks!

interneg
6-Jan-2019, 18:24
So it’s added to the 1st Dev. Makes sense! Thanks!

The First Developer contains the silver solvent (KSCN or similar) & the Colour Developer contains the fogging agent (SnCl) in a 3-bath formulation. 6-bath E-6 also has the silver solvent in the first developer.

Dhuiting
6-Jan-2019, 18:50
Ah I see, the reversal bath is in with the the 1st dev, and the pre-bleach conditioner is in with the color dev then?

interneg
7-Jan-2019, 02:56
Ah I see, the reversal bath is in with the the 1st dev, and the pre-bleach conditioner is in with the color dev then?

Reversal/ fogging agent is in the 2nd or colour developer, the pre-bleach is in the blix (if it's there at all).

Dhuiting
7-Jan-2019, 02:58
I see! Makes sense. Thanks!

Duolab123
30-May-2019, 23:49

Dan, are you around??? I've tried PM to you but box is full . I'm the one that bought your 3005 tank. Haven't heard a word from you in a week
Mike