PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Angulon 90mm F/6.8 Lens in Linhof Synchro Compur Shutter

Ed Vatza
6-Jan-2019, 14:27
Looking at the above lens and wondering about the shutter. I did a bit of digging and saw that the Linhof Shutter is bigger than the regular Synchro Compur shutter. I just want to be certain that this combo will work on my Pacemaker Speed Graphic 4x5 and what size opening in the lens board is required.

And while I'm at it, any feedback positive or negative on the Angulon 90/6.8.

Thanks.

Ed

Bob Salomon
6-Jan-2019, 14:41
Looking at the above lens and wondering about the shutter. I did a bit of digging and saw that the Linhof Shutter is bigger than the regular Synchro Compur shutter. I just want to be certain that this combo will work on my Pacemaker Speed Graphic 4x5 and what size opening in the lens board is required.

And while I'm at it, any feedback positive or negative on the Angulon 90/6.8.

Thanks.

Ed

Basically the 90 Angulon does not fully cover 45 at infinity at any aperture. There are better choices, especially if you expect to use movements.

MAubrey
6-Jan-2019, 16:02
Basically the 90 Angulon does not fully cover 45 at infinity at any aperture. There are better choices, especially if you expect to use movements.

Do you have knowledge as to why the current Angulon coverage documentation shifts from 81 degrees to 85 degrees as you move up from 90mm to 210mm?

Ed Vatza
6-Jan-2019, 16:09

Thanks!

Ed

pepeguitarra
6-Jan-2019, 19:30

Bob: Does the Schneider Super Angulon 90/8 cover 4x5?

Mark Sampson
6-Jan-2019, 20:22
Nevertheless, the 90/8 Angulon was regularly supplied for use on Graphics, and used successfully. Coverage is indeed minimal on 4x5, but then a Speed doesn't have much movement capability anyway.
A search here will provide lots of opinions about the Angulon's usability... I wouldn't want to shoot architecture or interiors (not for clients anyway) with one but I'll say that for landscape work it should serve nicely.
Pepe- the 90/8 Schneider Super-Angulon succeeded the plain 6.8 Angulon and has much greater coverage... perhaps out to 5x7. A fine lens whenever manufactured, from 1956(?) on.

Bob Salomon
6-Jan-2019, 20:58
Bob: Does the Schneider Super Angulon 90/8 cover 4x5?

Yes, so does the Rodenstock 90mm 6.8 Grandagon N.

For less money the Rodagon Geronar WA also more then covers 45.

Corran
6-Jan-2019, 21:16
90mm Angulon covers 4x5 fine.
Whether or not it gives you excellent performance in the far corners...well no not in my experience with a couple copies and similar lenses of the Angulon design.

It's small and lightweight though and great for backpacking. If you need higher performance get something else.

As per your query it'll work on your Graphic with either shutter.

ic-racer
6-Jan-2019, 21:20
You might try the Graflex Optar 90mm if you want something that matches your camera.

Bob Salomon
6-Jan-2019, 21:21
Whether or not it gives you excellent performance in the far corners...well no not in my experience with a couple copies and similar lenses of the Angulon design.

It's small and lightweight though and great for backpacking. If you need higher performance get something else.

That’s why it is rated for 912 rather then 45.

Dan Fromm
6-Jan-2019, 21:35
You might try the Graflex Optar 90mm if you want something that matches your camera.

It is as good (or bad) as the 90/6.8 Angulon.

OP, you recently mentioned that you have a 90/5.6 Fujinon SWD. Why don't you use it? Why pursue a worse lens?

Corran
6-Jan-2019, 21:39
That’s why it is rated for 912 rather then 45.

You can quibble over the performance in the far corners but there is an image there, not black corners. This is a fact. At f/32 I find the lens acceptable (though I have read reports of varying performance - I have used 2 Angulons and a Graflex Optar and they all performed roughly the same in my usage).

Ed Vatza
7-Jan-2019, 03:39
OP, you recently mentioned that you have a 90/5.6 Fujinon SWD. Why don't you use it? Why pursue a worse lens?

Good question, Dan. I still haven't decided if I want to mess with the Fujinon in the field since I would have to remove the rear lens element, mount the front element and shutter, remove the back, and attach the rear element. So I am just thinking about a more compact alternative for use in the field. An Angulon or an Optar would cost around $100 so not a huge investment. Then I would have to decide whether to keep the Fujinon. In short, it all comes down to the ease (or lack thereof) of mounting the lens on the camera.

Ed

Dan Fromm
7-Jan-2019, 07:06
Ed, you're being silly. Mounting a lens whose rear cell won't pass through the lens throat is not that big a deal. I have to do it with, among others, my 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon. One learns to do it, and the lens feels no pain.

Jim Noel
7-Jan-2019, 08:30

Agree about the coverage. In addition, mine is a convertible with the rear element focusing at almost twice the focal length of he complete lens.

Ed Vatza
7-Jan-2019, 19:25
Ed, you're being silly. Mounting a lens whose rear cell won't pass through the lens throat is not that big a deal. I have to do it with, among others, my 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon. One learns to do it, and the lens feels no pain.

No doubt there is an element of silliness involved. I was out today doing a bit of shooting using my Rodenstock 150/5.6 Sironar S. In between photos I was trying to visualize how I would mount the Fujinon 90/5.6 while out in the field. I'm not necessarily the most graceful person but I think I will be able to figure it out.

Ed

Bob Salomon
7-Jan-2019, 19:43
No doubt there is an element of silliness involved. I was out today doing a bit of shooting using my Rodenstock 150/5.6 Sironar S. In between photos I was trying to visualize how I would mount the Fujinon 90/5.6 while out in the field. I'm not necessarily the most graceful person but I think I will be able to figure it out.

Ed

Just be very careful, those threads were not designed for this and can be damaged or cross threaded. You also must ensure that the rear group is stewed all the way in each time.