PDA

View Full Version : Gibellini ACN810

jesse1996
2-Jan-2019, 12:04
I recently acquired a new 8x10 from Gibellini Cameras, While I can't write a revise just yet so far the camera undoubtedly looks solid. I tried blowing on it very much with no play in the standards as well some verbal abuse to ensure it was stoic enough to get the job done in future travels.
Kidding aside, I'm still gathering necessary equipment to begin shooting, several film holders are on the way as well as a new head for the new Gitzo tripod I invested in to support this camera. Weight wise is surprisingly weighs less than my old Toyo 4x5 monorail which is a massive plus. Once all the remaining equipment is here all that is left is to spend my remaining 2019 salary on lenses. Luckily I already have a Nikkor 300mm 5.6 in hand with several others in mind. A Main thing to buy ASAP is a case for the camera.
Shooting in NYC with this will certainly present its challenges however given the lightness and sturdiness of the camera I've observed so far I should be fine on the various rooftops and observation decks of the city. More information to come!

Michael Graves
2-Jan-2019, 12:49
...Shooting in NYC with this will certainly present its challenges however given the lightness and sturdiness of the camera...

Not to mention you'll be able to pick it up and run like the demons were after you when the need arises.

Two23
2-Jan-2019, 12:50
I've been lusting for the version with the blue bellows, but at $6,000 it's not going to happen.

Kent in SD

Alan9940
2-Jan-2019, 16:26
I've got a blue bellows on my Intrepid 8x10 and it was slightly cheaper than 6K! :D Yeah, I know not even in the same league...

rorye
2-Jan-2019, 19:29
I'm very happy with my early model Gibellini 8"x10". It's a solid camera.

cdavis324
2-Jan-2019, 19:51
Although a little quirky I'm happy with mine - it's the model prior to the current 810gp. It's like a foldable monorail. My regular bellows are black, but the bag bellows(which are nearly permanently attached) are white.. The color's awesome in the sun/heat!

I didn't realize he was still making the acn.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

jesse1996
2-Jan-2019, 20:17
So far its pretty solid. I want to day with the camera, shipping, reduction back, I paid just over $3100

Tim V
3-Jan-2019, 01:40
How was customer service and wait time? I've got one of the early models too, an ACD and like it a lot now after some early niggles-I bought it second hand. It's a little unrefined in parts, but reliable and solid with easy setup. Have been toying with the idea of eventually 'upgrading' to the ACN for a few of its features. Is your camera all metal, or are there 3D printed plastic parts? Would love the new GP810 but that dream ain't free...

cdavis324
3-Jan-2019, 07:19
How was customer service and wait time? I've got one of the early models too, an ACD and like it a lot now after some early niggles-I bought it second hand. It's a little unrefined in parts, but reliable and solid with easy setup. Have been toying with the idea of eventually 'upgrading' to the ACN for a few of its features. Is your camera all metal, or are there 3D printed plastic parts? Would love the new GP810 but that dream ain't free...

I think he uses 3d printing for strategic parts of most cameras. Mine has plastic covers and such.

Tim V
3-Jan-2019, 14:14
Thanks. I was wandering about the white parts in the above picture that support the focusing slide / rails. It looks like the basic same design as my ACD, but better made and more refined details. All my parts are aluminium however (save for front and rear frames in mahogany), and those are the one parts I’d definitely not want to be plastic as they see a lot of pressure with the focusing lock.

cdavis324
3-Jan-2019, 20:31
I briefly had a wan prior to my current camera and looks to be the same chassis. The wan has the same chassis as the bellatrix. The "white" part you're talking about is actually silver and aluminum. The 2 horizontal pieces that slide on top of and connect the back to the base board are hard plastic.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

jesse1996
3-Jan-2019, 20:46
As far as customer service he was always quick to respond to questions. the only trouble I had was with Fedex that made the whole process difficult due to customs. They actually ended up sending it back to Italy briefly which is just ridiculous. Once it was resolved I got the camera in what might as well have been instantly.

jesse1996
3-Jan-2019, 20:50

Its 60/40 metal and printed materials. The extension rail, front standards, rear side arms, and parts of the rear standards are powder coated aluminum. The Bed and other parts of the rear frame are 3D printed. The parts that are printed are incredibly sturdy feeling, no play whatsoever in terms of stiffness and rigidity. With the new Gitzo tripod and head I'm getting I doubt this camera will have any issues in a decent breeze.

Tim V
4-Jan-2019, 01:20
Thanks. Looks / seems a ton like my ACD. Does the base have etched / marked measurement scales to aid in setup for different focal lengths? Wondering too about spirit levels on base and both standards?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying the GG back is 3D printed plastic? Is the GG glass or etched plastic? My ACD had a horrible etched plastic screen and replacing it with one from Steve Hopf was the best thing I did.

Thanks again.

(Edit: I wonder if Alessandro still offers parts to be made with carbon fibre. If money were no object I'd get the base made in CF as it's great at soaking up vibrations, and light!)

jesse1996
4-Jan-2019, 09:02
Thanks. Looks / seems a ton like my ACD. Does the base have etched / marked measurement scales to aid in setup for different focal lengths? Wondering too about spirit levels on base and both standards?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying the GG back is 3D printed plastic? Is the GG glass or etched plastic? My ACD had a horrible etched plastic screen and replacing it with one from Steve Hopf was the best thing I did.

Thanks again.

(Edit: I wonder if Alessandro still offers parts to be made with carbon fibre. If money were no object I'd get the base made in CF as it's great at soaking up vibrations, and light!)

As far as I can tell mine is glass, and the bale back is printed. The base has etched marks along the rear standard but I plan on making a few etching in cm myself to help do quick bellows draw calculations or just have a cheap tape measure in my bag for that. Both standards sport spirit levels which helps get everything zeroed out.

Tim V
4-Jan-2019, 14:16
Sorry for my ignorance, but is the 'bale back' the same as the GG back, including the GG frame and other associated parts (metal springs excepted of course,) that fit into the rear standard frame?

I'd really appreciate some more pictures of the camera, as at some point I'll either get one myself or alternatively a Chamonix. I am also contemplating modifying my camera to include some of the features of yours. For example, my ACD does not have the fine focusing gearing, relying instead on 'push-pull'. It's really easy to use, smooth and very reliable, but I still want the gearing. I also want to build a new back for mine at some point, as I think a slightly different design would make it smoother.

Thanks again.

As far as I can tell mine is glass, and the bale back is printed. The base has etched marks along the rear standard but I plan on making a few etching in cm myself to help do quick bellows draw calculations or just have a cheap tape measure in my bag for that. Both standards sport spirit levels which helps get everything zeroed out.

jesse1996
5-Jan-2019, 18:44
Sorry for my ignorance, but is the 'bale back' the same as the GG back, including the GG frame and other associated parts (metal springs excepted of course,) that fit into the rear standard frame?

I'd really appreciate some more pictures of the camera, as at some point I'll either get one myself or alternatively a Chamonix. I am also contemplating modifying my camera to include some of the features of yours. For example, my ACD does not have the fine focusing gearing, relying instead on 'push-pull'. It's really easy to use, smooth and very reliable, but I still want the gearing. I also want to build a new back for mine at some point, as I think a slightly different design would make it smoother.

Thanks again.

No Worries! I took some quick shots of the back and holder insert area for you.

Tim V
5-Jan-2019, 23:35
Thanks! Looks like a tidy, good design! I’m really keen to read a user report when you’ve got to grips with it. I love my ACD, but more for sentimental rather than practical reasons. It’s certainly a first generation product, but 100% reliable after I modified it. This N model looks streets ahead. Call me stupid however, I’d prefer metal or carbon over plastic for parts that might be put under any stress.

minh0204
6-Jan-2019, 06:41
Is there anywhere I can read about the spec of this camera, including prices, or is contacting the maker the only way?

Charles S
6-Jan-2019, 07:05
https://www.gibellinicamera.com/copia-di-products

Tim V
6-Jan-2019, 14:07
It’s a bit frustrating as Gibellini only show the more expensive GP model on their website, with no mention of their more modestly priced ACN.

jesse1996
9-Jan-2019, 22:43
It kinda is. I wasn't informed about the ACN810 until Alessandro reached out to me when he saw I was looking for an 8x10. I want say after everything mine was about 2500ish Euros.

Tim V
10-Jan-2019, 02:21
That's how I found out, too. I like my ACD enough to think I'd buy an N in the future as an upgrade of sorts. Seems well priced.

I'm wondering, are you able to accidentally slide the focusing rails off the tracks if winding back too far, or is there a stopper now installed?

Also, with regards to the etched scales on the base, are they on both sides to aid in assuring parallelism of the rear standard when moving it forward for shorter lenses, or is it just on one side of the base?

T

angusparker
10-Jan-2019, 07:33
How are their film holders? The price / quality ratio looks good. Plus they make up to 11x14. Are they light relative to a Toyo made of plastic? How is the function and film registration?

Tim V
12-Jan-2019, 01:19
Would be interested to hear about the holders too.

Also, is anyone out there using the new GP810?

jesse1996
12-Jan-2019, 17:33
There is a stopper on the focusing mechanism, its basically a nob attached to a very long screw with a stopper to prevent it from popping off. I haven't ordered any of their film holders yet as I'm still building the kit to be ready for the spring and I'm mostly focused on getting the lenses I want as some are hard to find. Though $200 isn't a bad price for 8x10 film holders in general.

minh0204
13-Jan-2019, 06:03
It kinda is. I wasn't informed about the ACN810 until Alessandro reached out to me when he saw I was looking for an 8x10. I want say after everything mine was about 2500ish Euros.

Can you post the spec here for reference as well?