PDA

View Full Version : The betterscanning.com business status thread

Laminarman
31-Dec-2018, 20:17
I ordered a betterscanning fluid mount adjustable plate for my Epson V850 and the fluid/mylar etc from Aztec. It's been a few weeks since I placed my order, an no emails have been answered or invoice sent for me to pay. Is service usually this slow? I don't see a phone to call. Thanks.

Alan9940
31-Dec-2018, 21:27
Assuming we're talking Aztek, Inc in Irvine, CA they have complete contact info on their website.

Laminarman
1-Jan-2019, 07:35
Sorry, no the Aztec stuff is fine. It's the betterscanning.com adjustable height scanning platform. I put an order in, never heard anything, was never invoiced for Paypal and no answers to my enquiries.

nbagno
1-Jan-2019, 08:36
Happened to me when they were on vacation. Took a couple of weeks to respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan9940
1-Jan-2019, 11:48
Sorry, no the Aztec stuff is fine. It's the betterscanning.com adjustable height scanning platform. I put an order in, never heard anything, was never invoiced for Paypal and no answers to my enquiries.

Ah, sorry. I've ordered from them a couple of times without issue. Perhaps busy over the holidays? Closed for the holidays?

Laminarman
1-Jan-2019, 12:02
Could be, I'll give it another week, thank you.

David Karp
1-Jan-2019, 18:35
My experience was prompt responses and good, helpful information. Probably time time of year.

Doug Fisher
3-Jan-2019, 09:44
Yes, we took some time off during the Christmas to New Year period but are back at work now. I believe I have responded to all pending enquiries, but if I missed your enquiry, please contact me directly.

Thanks!
Doug

Laminarman
3-Jan-2019, 17:22
Yes, we took some time off during the Christmas to New Year period but are back at work now. I believe I have responded to all pending enquiries, but if I missed your enquiry, please contact me directly.

Thanks!
Doug

I am the OP, you indeed did respond last night and YOU HAVE BEEN PAID : ) Thank you, and Happy New Year!

Steve C
7-Mar-2020, 18:55
Hi

Does anyone know if this company is still making film holders?

I've just placing a couple of orders since the beginning of Feb, sent follow up emails and haven't had any response at all. I've checked my junk, used a secondary email address but still no success.

Bit concerned since their reputation was top class. If not, is there anyone else who produces film holders?

Thanks

Kiwi7475
7-Mar-2020, 21:18
I’ve been sending Doug *many* emails trying to get some info on his ANR glass since December... and haven’t gotten a single response. In the past he’d always respond right away.

Hopefully he’s alright and will be back soon, but it’s been 3 months now....

Steve C
7-Mar-2020, 22:05
Something must be up then. Shame. Hope he's alright.

Guess we'll just wait and see

Steven Ruttenberg
8-Mar-2020, 17:45
Hope he is alright. I got several holders and glass from him. He may be working a lot. This is a side business for him I believe. Plus isn't he in the area where the latest tornadoes ripped thru?

Oren Grad
8-Mar-2020, 19:50
Plus isn't he in the area where the latest tornadoes ripped thru?

His corporate name traces to Atlanta, which has been OK. But I hope he is well.

Eric Rose
12-Apr-2020, 11:53
I placed an order two weeks ago and never received the confirmation email with payment instructions. I sent him a "what's up" email after a week, still no response. I tracked down his phone number and left a message. Again no response. Hoping he is well or just slammed with isolated photographers wanting to scan and needing his products.

Does anyone have any info on whether he is still in business? He's based out of Altanta Georgia.

Eric

Kiwi7475
12-Apr-2020, 13:09
It came up on another thread earlier this year that a few of us have not been able to reach out Doug.... I hope he’s well but at this point it’s been 4 months or so, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up...

Eric Rose
12-Apr-2020, 15:18
Bummer.

OldChE
1-Aug-2020, 18:26
I'd like to buy a new film holder from betterscanning.com for my Canoscan 8800f, but the owner of the site hasn't replied to my emails. I think his name is Doug Fisher, and I saw that he was a member of this forum. Does anyone know if they are still in business?
Thanks - Richard.

Kiwi7475
1-Aug-2020, 19:17
I'd like to buy a new film holder from betterscanning.com for my Canoscan 8800f, but the owner of the site hasn't replied to my emails. I think his name is Doug Fisher, and I saw that he was a member of this forum. Does anyone know if they are still in business?
Thanks - Richard.

Probably not. This has come up a few times:

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?157627-Betterscanning-is-he-still-in-business

Smorton
1-Aug-2020, 19:22
Is the The BetterScanning.com Variable Height Mounting Station still available? The larger one?

I emailed the fellow and I have not heard back from him.

Thank you.

Smorton

Oren Grad
1-Aug-2020, 19:55
Threads merged.

Steven Ruttenberg
2-Aug-2020, 17:42
Could be the stupid virus got him locked down.

unityofsaints
2-Aug-2020, 19:41
Could be the stupid virus got him locked down.

I fear even worse :(

Steven Ruttenberg
3-Aug-2020, 21:57
Lets hope and pray not..

DQL
9-Aug-2020, 12:07
Has anyone been able to reach betterscanning.com? I've been sending emails since May with no response. Thanks for any help.

Oren Grad
9-Aug-2020, 12:15
Another thread merged.

grat
19-Aug-2020, 17:45
Update on the betterscanning.com website:

Thank you for visiting BetterScanning.com!

We hope to resume production on approximately August 27, 2020. At that time, we will be able to start processing orders and answering emails. Please understand that we probably will not be able to process orders or answer emails sent before that date. Thank you for your understanding!

Fishjump
20-Aug-2020, 18:55
Sorry to dig this thread back up, but has anybody gotten a response? I broke my ANR glass and need a replacement.

Oren Grad
20-Aug-2020, 20:07
Another thread merged.

StevenHolden
21-Aug-2020, 13:38
I'm another that has been trying unsuccessfully to make contact for a few months now.
I noticed on some other threads that he used to be fairly active, but not for a while now, hope all is good.

Wonder if anyone is willing to part with their mounting plate? Probably worth their weight in gold now :p

Kiwi7475
21-Aug-2020, 14:08
Sorry to dig this thread back up, but has anybody gotten a response? I broke my ANR glass and need a replacement.

There’s many other places to get an ANR glass, like scan-tech.net. They’ll even cut it to whatever size you need it if not a standard size without additional cost.

Kiwi7475
21-Aug-2020, 14:09
I'm another that has been trying unsuccessfully to make contact for a few months now.
I noticed on some other threads that he used to be fairly active, but not for a while now, hope all is good.

Wonder if anyone is willing to part with their mounting plate? Probably worth their weight in gold now :p

As said above on the website it now says “hope to resume production August 27”, but to not contact them before then.

unityofsaints
28-Aug-2020, 14:19
Well, the 27th has passed. I'll re-place my order and see what happens.

StevenHolden
1-Sep-2020, 22:00
Tried again as well, but no response as yet either. Fingers still crossed.

Kiwi7475
1-Sep-2020, 22:17
I’d wait until the front page message changes, it still says “We hope to resume production on approximately August 27, 2020. “ so i guess there’s no hope for the 27th but hopefully soon.

Eric Rose
3-Sep-2020, 11:54
I wouldn't trust the site until I saw a photo on the front page of the owner holding a current newspaper. Could be someone has taken over his site. The whole thing from when he disappeared to suddenly popping up again is fishy.

grat
3-Sep-2020, 12:56
I wouldn't trust the site until I saw a photo on the front page of the owner holding a current newspaper. Could be someone has taken over his site. The whole thing from when he disappeared to suddenly popping up again is fishy.

I understand the idea of being cautious, but most people seem to skip past cautious straight into nation-state mind-control lizard-people conspiracy territory.

Given an international pandemic, people dying, and apparently, according to one poster, Doug having medical issues as far back as January, cut the guy a break.

Either he'll show up and start taking orders again, or he won't.

StevenHolden
16-Oct-2020, 09:25
Still no response or website update.
Anyone got one I can buy? If not buy, at least borrow, and see how it's constructed? Or if someone has some good, high quality pictures and measurements that might be a good start too...
Thanks

grat
19-Oct-2020, 19:23
I sent an email recently, and have heard nothing.

:(

JimboWalker
7-Dec-2020, 16:08
I am interested in a film holder from BetterScanning. Are they still around and are their products good? I am primarily interested in a variable height film holder for my 120 format film. My Film holder for my Epson 4990 does not fit the ANR glass I got from Scan-Tek, Inc. I may get a 120 holder for a V500 or V600 that the glass does fit. I presume they will fit my 4990. Thanks for any tips!

OldChE
12-Dec-2020, 11:23
I am interested in a film holder from BetterScanning. Are they still around and are their products good? I am primarily interested in a variable height film holder for my 120 format film. My Film holder for my Epson 4990 does not fit the ANR glass I got from Scan-Tek, Inc. I may get a 120 holder for a V500 or V600 that the glass does fit. I presume they will fit my 4990. Thanks for any tips!

I don't have any of their products, but I understand that they are good. I would like to buy one of their negative holders for my Canoscan 8800f. Unfortunately, it seems that betterscanning.com may have gone out of business. If you are successful in contacting them, please let us know.

Kirk Gittings
12-Dec-2020, 15:24
I sent an email recently, and have heard nothing.

:(

Me too. No response.

Jim Andrada
23-Dec-2020, 09:41
At age 80
The woods were lovely, dark and deep
And promises I forgot to keep
Miles I've gone, it's time to sleep
More miles I've gone. I'm half asleep

lunafilm
6-Apr-2021, 19:25
Has anyone been able to get in touch with him or order anything recently? I sent an order in February but never heard back :(

Or does anyone know of any alternatives?

RZuazua
12-Apr-2021, 22:05
Call credit card company and charge back the orders.

Tin Can
13-Apr-2021, 03:15
Love this Jim

Truth

At age 80
The woods were lovely, dark and deep
And promises I forgot to keep
Miles I've gone, it's time to sleep
More miles I've gone. I'm half asleep

Jim Andrada
13-Apr-2021, 18:19
Thanks. I have a lot of days when this really seems to be true. I've been learning how to drive my fancy new wheelchair - must have done $1k or more damage to the walls and cabinets by now. Chair weighs 500 pounds without me in it. I'm trying to build a camera mount that can attach to the chair and hold my 5 x 7 Linhof and MF stuff. I'll post photos when I get it put together.

Skaartc
9-Jun-2021, 05:31
I’ve been trying to get some 35mm glass for my epson v600. I can’t get any contact from either scan tech or better scanning. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

yeolde
10-Jun-2021, 16:06
Use museum anr glass and cut it to your size jus like dat ipsun dillaz

Skaartc
11-Jun-2021, 02:58
Use museum anr glass and cut it to your size jus like dat ipsun dillaz

Does anyone know what the measurements are?

John Hartman
6-Jul-2021, 11:21
Have we officially given up? Does anybody know anything? I would still really like a fluid mounting station.

StevenHolden
6-Jul-2021, 17:33
Seems so…
Jim Andrade and Tin Can might be able to shed more light than their previous cryptic conversations do, but sadly it would seem the owner has up and vanished. I would still be interested in taking it over, or producing a copy if someone has one I can look at, but until then but until then I’ll just keep faffing around with the Epson holder.
Covid affected people different ways I guess! I finally got off my behind and tried to improve my film game, while betterscanning decided it was a good time to disappear.
Such is life.

Steven Ruttenberg
6-Jul-2021, 18:24
I’ve been trying to get some 35mm glass for my epson v600. I can’t get any contact from either scan tech or better scanning. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

http://www.glennview.com/index.htm

Can also order what you need from glass supplier and either cut yourself or get cut.

Steven Ruttenberg
6-Jul-2021, 18:32
His page shows a 2021 copyright so I am guessing he is around?

If he is truly gone and the patents and copy rights can be worked out. I can manufacture the film holders from Aluminum with improvements. My .02 cents. I did ask once if he would let me make a personal copy and he politely said no. It would be a lot of reverse engineering if drawings were not available. If one could get them legally then it wouldn’t be too hard.

I might try to figure out my own that would not infringe upon his copy rights and patents and offer for sale.

John Hartman
8-Jul-2021, 17:43
I was pretty surprised to wake up to an email and Paypal invoice from Doug this morning. I've send off 117 dollars and I guess we'll see what happens. I will paste below the relevant bits of the email I got if anyone is interested:

"Thanks for your order! I want to be upfront and let you know that due to
the current production queue (holders require multiple days to
create/complete), order fulfillment is often taking approximately 6
*business* days. I rely on a "first paid, first order filled" policy so I
just want to be honest about the timeline and make sure everyone understands
the policy to get placed into the queue."

Moderator's note: I've removed the snail-mail address and phone number that were here. It appears that Doug operates the business as a sole proprietor and that these could well be his home address and personal phone. Doug doesn't have them posted on his website, so unless he has given explicit permission to post them here I think we should assume that he would prefer not. -- Oren

Steven Ruttenberg
9-Jul-2021, 09:02
Reads like same order response I got in the past from years ago. We will see.

StevenHolden
9-Jul-2021, 10:43
Yep, got the same email and have my order pushed through now too. Hopefully he’s not overwhelmed by the backlog of the past 12 months. But glad to see he’s up and running again.

John Hartman
19-Jul-2021, 11:14
I got my scanning station last Friday, much faster than I expected. I ordered the fluid only version and I received a piece of the ANR glass so it appears that I got an upgrade, I got quite a few more pieces of the masking material than i ordered as well.
I've only done one scan so far but I have to say I'm very happy with it. I did a pretty poor job: used too much fluid, didn't get all the air bubbles out, I haven't really dialed in the height and I didn't bother with a mask and it's still a bigger improvement over the Epson 850 holder than I was expecting. I'm really excited to dial in the process and see what this can do.

pozzello
19-Jul-2021, 18:46
I’ve been trying to reach out to him for months. If someone is in the middle of getting an order processed and could order one for me as well I’d be eternally grateful !

Paul

DiscoShrew
15-Aug-2021, 17:01
Placed an order maybe a month ago, got an email as described above on 8/13/21, paid on that day. I will update this post when I receive my mounting station

Update 8/26/21: It shipped yesterday and is due to arrive in a day or two. Two Weeks, all things considered, is not bad.

Received 8/27/21

Steven Ruttenberg
27-Sep-2021, 21:32
Glad he is okay and still producing.

Wichersham
13-Dec-2021, 18:45
Hi all. I placed 3 separate but identical orders between 1-2 months ago and the last week, early Dec, 2021. No reply no nothing yet. I sent 3-4 emails to check the order status(es) and no reply yet.

Wichersham
15-Dec-2021, 23:27
A quick update. Doug reached out me through this forum (thank you, Doug). Meaning Betterscanning.com is definitely up and running.

toyoboyo
8-Jan-2022, 13:02
Has anyone else heard from Doug at BetterScanning? I'm thinking about buying a v850 soon, and it would be great to have a betterscanning station to go with it

drarmament
24-Jan-2022, 14:06
I placed a order in and waiting for an email. Hopefully, I will get a reply soon to purchase a mount.

drarmament
28-Jan-2022, 06:25
I placed a order in and waiting for an email. Hopefully, I will get a reply soon to purchase a mount.

Update:
Doug emailed me.

stealthlightphoto
29-Jan-2022, 18:23
Update:
Doug emailed me.

Hi Everyone, new member here. I wrote betterscanning about a year ago and never heard back. Wrote again a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard back. I'm thinking my email went in the junk/spam folder, so I just tried again with another email address which will hopefully make it to Doug. I've been really needing something like this for a while now. Hope this email makes it through!

drarmament
30-Jan-2022, 07:31
Hi Everyone, new member here. I wrote betterscanning about a year ago and never heard back. Wrote again a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard back. I'm thinking my email went in the junk/spam folder, so I just tried again with another email address which will hopefully make it to Doug. I've been really needing something like this for a while now. Hope this email makes it through!

100%

drarmament
6-Feb-2022, 11:52
Update:
Doug emailed me.

Update:

Thank you Doug from Betterscanning. He is very communicative, it shipped out. Just in time for me to expose a wedding and will be able to use it to scan the film in.

JerryGreer
9-Feb-2022, 12:23
Doug, I've been trying to order for a few months now. I just requested another this morning.

JerryGreer
14-Feb-2022, 07:03
I've tried for weeks to buy a holder for my V850 but can get no reply from Doug. I've filled out the form and submitted it successfully at least 5 times. I've emailed Betterscanning.com as well as Doug directly about the same number of times but still nothing. Doug, I want to purchase a holder. Please contact me at mountaintrailpress@gmail.com or jerrydicksongreer@gmail.com.

hmcqueen
17-Feb-2022, 07:20
I am in the same boat, I have submitted an order for a holder online several times, emailed several times, and no contact. Hopefully this is temporary as my scanner is sitting idle until this arrives.

Two23
17-Feb-2022, 15:32
I just need some ANR glass to scan 120 film. Any place I can just buy that?

Kent in SD

Kiwi7475
17-Feb-2022, 16:15
I just need some ANR glass to scan 120 film. Any place I can just buy that?

Kent in SD

I’ve bought from Scan-Tech in LA before and they’ll cut it to your spec if you need something non standard, at no extra cost. Their website , scan-tech.net seems down though — not sure if it’s a temporary issue or if they’re in business still after the pandemic. I’d give them a call directly : 323-7989201

(No affiliation)

jkober@mac.com
18-Feb-2022, 15:14

Thanks!
Doug

Hi Doug,
I realize I'm a bit late to the party, but I've been trying to buy from your website and have not received any replies. Is there some way to purchase your products?
thanks
Jeff Kober

hmcqueen
18-Feb-2022, 18:25
quick reply from Doug, and my order is in process. Thanks

agHalides
23-Feb-2022, 13:36
I have been emailing the general email from Doug but I haven't gotten a response yet, just put in another couple orders today - would be tremendously disappointed as it looks like "Scan-Tech" is no longer operating (and thus not an alternative at the moment).

jjames
24-Feb-2022, 09:38
You can add me to that list, multiple orders online and at least 2 emails. Still waiting for an invitation to send my money in.....

agHalides
24-Feb-2022, 15:30
I’ve bought from Scan-Tech in LA before and they’ll cut it to your spec if you need something non standard, at no extra cost. Their website , scan-tech.net seems down though — not sure if it’s a temporary issue or if they’re in business still after the pandemic. I’d give them a call directly : 323-7989201

(No affiliation)

Are there other sources for ANR glass like this? I noticed on Google that a family friend had posted that he's (Scan-Tech) dealing with terminal illness and were struggling to take down the website :(

Kiwi7475
24-Feb-2022, 18:11
Are there other sources for ANR glass like this? I noticed on Google that a family friend had posted that he's (Scan-Tech) dealing with terminal illness and were struggling to take down the website :(

You could try Negative Supply, they sell them in 4x5 and 8x10, although it’s expensive.

There’s also Focal Point, fpointing.com

agHalides
1-Mar-2022, 14:04
You could try Negative Supply, they sell them in 4x5 and 8x10, although it’s expensive.

There’s also Focal Point, fpointing.com

Thanks for the suggestions, sadly I looked into Focal Point and believe they are no longer in that business (ANR) either :(

agHalides
6-Mar-2022, 12:52
Hi Doug, if you see this message - could you kindly please help me complete this order? Have submitted a variety of orders - really appreciate your help. Have a large set of family items I would like to archive for my father.

bmikiten
14-Mar-2022, 12:49
Did you just email at the scanning@ address?

Brian

MCohn
3-Apr-2022, 07:54
I've tried the scanning@address a couple of times with no success. So Doug If you're still monitoring this thread, drop me a line! Would love to buy some holders.

HalideReducer
17-May-2022, 22:15
Me too. I hope all is well.

fuchs_berlin
23-May-2022, 07:00
I just got my scanning station few weeks ago. All was fine, Doug came back to me few weeks after i first emailed him. It all took a while but i received everything.

Steven Ruttenberg
23-May-2022, 17:06
Strange. Has he given any indication o. What is up?

RZuazua
23-May-2022, 19:19
I've tried the scanning@address a couple of times with no success. So Doug If you're still monitoring this thread, drop me a line! Would love to buy some holders.

Maybe get a refund. Random people saykng they got one. Seems like criminal enterprise and racketeering.
Better Business Bureau and a Credit Card charge back cost them money. You oiad for something ajd nit even a simple email no update. Reads scam m all day

RZuazua
23-May-2022, 19:20
Who are you? 1 post.
Scam to say you got one

fuchs_berlin
24-May-2022, 01:14
Hi, I'm new to this forum. What do you wanna hear from me? And who are you to ask?
Its definitely no scam, a lot of people having betterscanning mounts in use for years.. why its taking so long and why there is no communication i don't know either, and it's not nice as a customer.. i was just sharing my experiences and that he got back to me after few weeks..

@steven he didn't say anything why it's sometimes taking so long to get back. i tried two different email addresses and on one i got a email back and could place my order

Steven Ruttenberg
24-May-2022, 07:54
It is strange on this. You did receive your items. Can you post a pic of the stuff? I am curious if it matches my stuff. He has been mia for so long, I may put my version out there. It us a custom piece made from Al with superfine adjustments. I needed a spare and no joy getting a hold of him so I designed and machined it.

fuchs_berlin
25-May-2022, 02:53
ya it is very strange, we were also curious if we get our stuff after reading this thread here.

Your version sounds good, you may have some potential buyers here in this thread! Do you have a photo of yours?

Here are the photos of the one i received (wet scan bundle with anr for v850)

Steven Ruttenberg
26-May-2022, 08:07
That is the one. I have two.

I also received an email last night out of blue with my some of my previous emails attached asking for information because I supposedly stated in forums I was waiting on a frame I said I ordered. I hadn’t stated thator at least not in two years. I was looking for a second ANR glass though, but again about 2 years ago.

I still have some things to tweak on it and give it a go. It is all aluminum.

MCohn
26-May-2022, 08:10

Update: Doug got in touch, the purchase went smoothly, and my holders arrived. Fortunately, if shooting LF has taught me anything, it’s patience. All worked out in the end.

ChristianHolemy
26-May-2022, 08:34
Hello everyone, I tried ordering these twice I think and ne response every time.

I’d be so delighted if you could get in touch, Doug! ��

Your reports make me feel somewhat optimistIc and I place my order a couple of minutes ago again. Fingers crossed. Also that Doug got back to you in Berlin makes me hopeful. I’m in Vienna and apparently international orders are fulfilled as well.

Wichersham
26-May-2022, 17:45
Hello everyone, I tried ordering these twice I think and ne response every time.

I’d be so delighted if you could get in touch, Doug! ��

Your reports make me feel somewhat optimistIc and I place my order a couple of minutes ago again. Fingers crossed. Also that Doug got back to you in Berlin makes me hopeful. I’m in Vienna and apparently international orders are fulfilled as well.

Hope he gets in touch with you soon. I bought a MF mount many years ago and a wet mount last year from Japan. He sure will fullfill the international orders. As long as you hear from him (a hard part), everything should go smoothly. If you do not hear from him, try to send emails from time to time. He sees this forum from time to time and that is how he reached out me through a direct message.

RyanDandelion
2-Jun-2022, 03:56
Hey Doug, if you happen to see this I've tried emailing you twice requesting some ANR glass holders.

Please get in touch when you can :) I'm ordering a v850 this week. Many thanks!

ChristianHolemy
10-Jun-2022, 03:11
I still have some things to tweak on it and give it a go. It is all aluminum.

I am also thinking of making one myself and have it lasercut. I am not so sure about the material yet. Since I own an Epson 4990 the focus distance is usually smaller (more on the 1mm side than the 4mm of later models) so I have to make sure the notches holding the glass are not too thick. Tricky.

bmikiten
10-Jun-2022, 05:10
I have access to Solidworks and a full machine shop. It would be interesting if BetterScanning would release either drawings or the rights to produce some of the products for a limited run or on a Group Buy type of purchase. It would allow the product to be made without any IP issues being broached.

ChristianHolemy
10-Jun-2022, 07:33
Hope he gets in touch with you soon. I bought a MF mount many years ago and a wet mount last year from Japan. He sure will fullfill the international orders. As long as you hear from him (a hard part), everything should go smoothly. If you do not hear from him, try to send emails from time to time. He sees this forum from time to time and that is how he reached out me through a direct message.

Doug just got intouch with me and sent me an email and invoice :). Wohooo! I am very happy!

Steven Ruttenberg
12-Jun-2022, 19:11
I have access to Solidworks and a full machine shop. It would be interesting if BetterScanning would release either drawings or the rights to produce some of the products for a limited run or on a Group Buy type of purchase. It would allow the product to be made without any IP issues being broached.

i do as well. I have designed a prototype. I run solidworks too. Mine has much finer adjstments and will eventually be modular, ie can do glass plate. Downside is it is heavier since I made mine from aluminum. I use 3/16x100tpi threaded adjusters for focus setting. But would not be cheap. Not nearly as cost effective as the ones Doug makes.

Steven Ruttenberg
12-Jun-2022, 19:15
I am also thinking of making one myself and have it lasercut. I am not so sure about the material yet. Since I own an Epson 4990 the focus distance is usually smaller (more on the 1mm side than the 4mm of later models) so I have to make sure the notches holding the glass are not too thick. Tricky.

The key is to avoid warping. Aluminum if not machined properly will warp. l had mine ground/lapped after machining and it still has a slight, ever so slight high corner, about a couple of tenths (.0002 or so)

bmikiten
23-Jun-2022, 14:39
Update - I got an email from Doug, ordered some accessories and a tray and got great responses, regular emails and updates and my order shipped today. Good to see him back and shipping!

Steven Ruttenberg
23-Jun-2022, 18:20
Cool

nelson_chan
23-Jun-2022, 20:49
Unfortunately, I've placed a few orders this year and have emailed Doug, but still haven't heard a word yet. I hope I'll get the chance to place finally place an order.

FredrickSummers
5-Jul-2022, 09:43
I came to the thread hoping to hear more recent good news. I've had 2 from Doug in the past before I quit and sold everything. I have a 4870 now and was hoping to get the plate before it came in. My order was placed 3 weeks ago and I've send him 2 follow up emails and not a word, not PP invoice, nothing.

Are there any good alternatives yet then? I may have to find an Epson one as my scanner came with no holders so I have no options currently.

lassethomas
7-Jul-2022, 12:29
I have a betterscanning holder but was never really pleased with all that glass.
I designed and printed a glass-less holder for 5x7, 4x5 and 9x12 for my V700 and posted about it here on another thread

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?166379-Show-your-3D-printed-LF-photography-related-thing&p=1650251&viewfull=1#post1650251

FredrickSummers
10-Aug-2022, 08:20
I came to the thread hoping to hear more recent good news. I've had 2 from Doug in the past before I quit and sold everything. I have a 4870 now and was hoping to get the plate before it came in. My order was placed 3 weeks ago and I've send him 2 follow up emails and not a word, not PP invoice, nothing.

Are there any good alternatives yet then? I may have to find an Epson one as my scanner came with no holders so I have no options currently.

So I wanted to follow up on this. A couple days after my post Doug PMed me to get my info and email. I guess found the order as it shipped another 2 days later. I have the holder and trying to remember how I used to do this, haha. So cudos to Doug for getting it sorted out.

v.kapoor
9-Sep-2022, 00:52
Hi Doug! If you see this, I just bought an Epson V850 and would love to purchase one of your holders for a long-term project I'm working on. Thanks for making such a solid piece!

v.kapoor
22-Sep-2022, 21:32
Anyone have luck recently with Doug?

toyoboyo
25-Sep-2022, 08:26
Hard to say. I was able to order one of the variable height mounts from Doug a few months ago. I submitted an order for one of the medium format holders as well, but haven't heard back. It's been about a month.

nkw007
30-Sep-2022, 12:55
Hello, has anyone heard from better scanning? I am looking to purchase ANR glass for epson v600

Cosswen
16-Oct-2022, 23:57
Hello Doug, I have sent emails to your store and submitted the complete forms as well but got no luck. I would appreciate it a lot to buy a wet and dry mount for my V800. Thank you.

Capocheny
19-Oct-2022, 14:47
I've also submitted an order for my Epson 850 (wet/dry mount with additional mats) and have not yet heard back.

So, I'm awaiting an invoice for payment.

Would you kindly reach out and get in touch with me Doug?

Thank you.

Lav-Fred
27-Oct-2022, 21:15
Hello Doug, I've read that you still take some orders from this forum.
I'd like to order a wet and dry mount station, I submitted an order on the website around one month ago and got no reply.
Are you still in touch ?

Regards.

vincent the beast
4-Dec-2022, 05:52
Hello Doug,

I hope you'll see this! I've tried quite a number of times to contact you by e-mail over the last couple of years, and also placed an order a few months ago, but haven't heard anything back. I actually successfully ordered one of your Dual MF Film Holders a number of years ago, but it seems to have gotten lost getting to me in Japan - it never arrived, and I was never able to track it down. I'd really like to be able to obtain your products so I can work on scanning my 120, 110, 126 and 5x7 negatives on my Epson scanner. I hope I can make contact with you soon!

Thank you!

vssoutlet
21-Dec-2022, 11:10
Hello,

Any updates on availability? I'm very interested in a dual MF holder for Epson V850.

Cosswen
22-Dec-2022, 15:01
No updates for me so far. Haven't been contacted yet. I will update you guys if I get a response.

jallee55
9-Jan-2023, 15:17
I left him a message on December 30th. It is the holiday season so I will give him some time. I will update the thread as well.

vincent the beast
19-Jan-2023, 09:13
I have tried contacting him twice since my last post in early December - no response yet. He has a well-thought out product that people want - I hope we can all get in contact with him soon! I have a bunch of negatives I would love to be able to get good scans of!

Sven1965
20-Jan-2023, 07:01
Same situation here! Came here looking for answers and found a lot more of the same. Placed my order 1/4/23. No response to order or follow up emails. From the sounds of it this is not uncommon. Guess I'll wait....

TrevanM
11-Feb-2023, 14:47

Thanks!
Doug

Hey Doug! Are you still taking orders/in business?

vincent the beast
15-Feb-2023, 21:54
Hey, TrevanM, you had me excited when I first saw your post - I thought maybe Doug was replying to you.......until I realized that it was a quote from a post from January 2019. Let's hope we will hear something from him soon! I have a bunch of negatives I want to get good scans from!

drfunk
5-Jul-2023, 11:17
Anybody heard from Doug? I've submitted an order request and emailed him at scanning@betterscanning.com and haven't heard anything.

I'd prefer not to go the route of producing my own scanning mount, but it's looking like he's not selling them anymore.

MrAJ
8-Jul-2023, 05:09
Same here, I submitted an order request 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.

Do we know if Doug is still in business or does he just prefer to process orders in batches from time to time?

drfunk
13-Aug-2023, 10:48
Still haven't heard anything from him. I assume he produces them in batches and simply isn't fulfilling orders right now because he doesn't have any to ship.

His LLC registration appears to still be active, so it seems he hasn't officially closed up shop.

The last time anybody reported successfully purchasing one of his mounts was a year ago. I'm not sure I want to wait that long before pursuing alternatives. And that's assuming he's going to produce more.

Fungus
17-Aug-2023, 14:34
I'll chime in here too... I submitted two orders on the site a few weeks ago and have heard nothing. I regularly check my spam folder and nothing in there either.

I'm hoping they're just on summer holiday.

Assuming the worst, and they're out of business, does anyone know of another replacement film holder for the Epson V850 (for 120 and 4x5) that's as good as the one betterscanning.com sells (or used to sell)? The ones that come with the scanner are pieces of junk.

Wichersham
17-Aug-2023, 17:23
Hi

Does anyone know if this company is still making film holders?

I've just placing a couple of orders since the beginning of Feb, sent follow up emails and haven't had any response at all. I've checked my junk, used a secondary email address but still no success.

Bit concerned since their reputation was top class. If not, is there anyone else who produces film holders?

Thanks

Hi there,

I managed to purchase a 120 film holder back in 2021 but then Doug seems have gone quiet since then.

Alternative film holders I considered besides Betterscanning include: Negative-Solutions custom film holders found at Esty or his/her website (negative-solutions.com), and JJS film holder which you can find it at Aliexpress. I tried neither so no idea how good they are but JJC looks promising. You can find a similar (same) products at Amazon USA or Japan. I tried Lomo's DigitaLIZA but the quality was not great.

Hope this helps.

lloyd goode
18-Aug-2023, 02:40
Heading towards the lonnngest thread ever. Good luck to all involved.

Fungus
18-Aug-2023, 14:45
Hi there,

I managed to purchase a 120 film holder back in 2021 but then Doug seems have gone quiet since then.

Alternative film holders I considered besides Betterscanning include: Negative-Solutions custom film holders found at Esty or his/her website (negative-solutions.com), and JJS film holder which you can find it at Aliexpress. I tried neither so no idea how good they are but JJC looks promising. You can find a similar (same) products at Amazon USA or Japan. I tried Lomo's DigitaLIZA but the quality was not great.

Hope this helps.

I think it's JJC, not JJS. Looks interesting, though. Their ad is funny: "Decreases the coming into being of the Moires".

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005625306864.html?pdp_npi=2%40dis%21GBP%21%EF%BF%A148.72%21%EF%BF%A121.62%21%21%21%21%21%402103011116923950167923948edf88%2112000033819318784%21btf&_t=pvid:f565b535-0349-4773-9739-6a003256e3db&afTraceInfo=1005005625306864__pc__pcBridgePPC__xxxxxx__1692395017&spm=a2g0o.ppclist.product.mainProduct

Len Middleton
3-Mar-2024, 12:35
Any updates?

Sent an email last week to the address on the website, but no response.