PDA

View Full Version : Slowing down Ilford DD-X (going more dilute than 1+9?)

healyzh
30-Dec-2018, 09:00
I'm working on perfecting processing 8x10 and 11x14 film in a Jobo 2840 drum, using either a Uniroller, or a Simma Roller. I've tried DD-X at both 1+4 and 1+9, I'd like to get the development times slowed down further. Searching the web I'm unable to find any mention of anyone working with DD-X at a higher dilution.

I also have a question for folks doing drum processing like I'm attempting. Have you ever done a test shooting something like a garage door? In other words something that's basically a flat uniform colour. For my tests I'm photographing my garage door and part of the siding. I'm grading the results against how well each side, and the corners turn out, as well as if there is streaking (diagonal streaking has shown up as a problem), blotchiness, or issues as a result of the drum clips (those are just plain trouble). In processing 8x10 and 11x14 film this way, I've been frustrated by the fact that most negatives come out fantastic, but ones with a lot of sky, or sand, don't. With the ones that turn out great, 166ml of DD-X 1+4 is enough, for the troubleshooting I'm working my way through, I'm up to 1000ml.

I'm narrowing in on how to get the best results, and my next step is to increase the dev times even more than I did with DD-X 1+9. At this point, my primary challenge is random blotches (areas of uneven develoment), and diagonal streaks. I'm pretty sure that the diagonal streaks are caused by my adding in some manual agitation to take care of the rotational streaking with the Uniroller, or flipping the drum with the Simma Roller. The Simma roller seems more inclined to have blotches.

I did try Rodinal 1+50 last, and it resulted in two vertical streaks, as well as some other issues.

Zane

Michael Kadillak
1-Jan-2019, 20:55
Your objectives are wrought with problems. You do not want to dilute DD-X past 1:9 for any reason because of insufficient ionic interaction with the film. Tried the drums way back and I traded one defect for another over a three week period and bailed on the whole idea.

Learned how to tray develop (Michael and Paula) and all of the problems immediately went away. Wish you well in your objectives.

alfredian
1-Jan-2019, 21:09
Hello & Happy New Year - I've used JOBO 2840 tubes for my 8x10 & 4x10 negs - Kodak Tri-X 320 & Ilford FP4/HP5. I have used DDX (usually Rodinal) as well as Ilfosol. My only problems have been if/when the thinner-based Ilford films begin to flop around and end up on top of each other, preventing the one underneath from getting the chems. I us a Uniroller and about 200-220 mL of solutions. No radial/rotary streaking, at all, ever. The TX320 has a more rigid base & stays put so I can do 2 at a time. Even Ilford's 8x10 are big/rigid enough - the 4x10s are more "mobile", so I've gone to a Poilot for them. My DDX has been at 1+4, 20'C, & times as per Massive Dev table. The only major hassle (other than sheets flopping around, which I can hear), it took me a few goes to figure out that there is a tab/space arrangement on the 2840 jointed tube that needs to be lined up - otherwise drippage. I am about to try out the Cat-Labs reels for doing three 8x10s at a time in a JOBO 2550 with about 300 mL or so of sol'ns. Hope any of this helps, alfredian