PDA

View Full Version : Calumet C1 8x10 tight focus. Adjustment? Lubricant?

Dustyman
29-Dec-2018, 15:47
One of my two Calumet C1 cameras is a tad tough to focus and the action isn't as smooth as the other. Has anyone experience this, and, if so, what did you do to fix the problem? Camera is clean. I was thinking of white lithium grease but it is gear-less and focusing seems friction based, so not sure what to use.

Suggestions?

joem
29-Dec-2018, 20:22
Perhaps you'll find that the track the back moves on to focus is dirty/sticky or that one of the focus locking screws is dragging.

j

Dustyman
29-Dec-2018, 23:40
Cleaned it thoroughly and locking screws are ok. Lubed grooves with white lithium grease but still feels tight, almost grinding. It's as if the wheels (which are thin, like washers) are too tight for the rail slots. Not sure if that's it though. It's better if I focus by turning both left and right knobs, but difficult turning only one at a time. Which is a drag, as you have only one free hand while holding your magnifier.

One of my two Calumet C1 cameras is a tad tough to focus and the action isn't as smooth as the other. Has anyone experience this, and, if so, what did you do to fix the problem? Camera is clean. I was thinking of white lithium grease but it is gear-less and focusing seems friction based, so not sure what to use.

Suggestions?

Dustyman
30-Dec-2018, 12:18
Well you were on the right track (no pun intended).
Although the locking knobs weren't dragging, the three inch plate that they screw into (and grab the rail to lock) was sticking to the rail from old lube on the right side. This resulted in the right side dragging causing uneven left and right focus movement and, thusly, a grinding feel. When nothing else made sense I had decided to remove the locking mechanisms from both sides, cleaned each part and reassembled. It couldn't have been anything else, such a simple camera design.

All smooth as butter now : )

Thx for your input.

Perhaps you'll find that the track the back moves on to focus is dirty/sticky or that one of the focus locking screws is dragging.

j