PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Nikkor W 105mm f/5.6 S

Ed Vatza
26-Dec-2018, 14:43
Hello again. I am considering a Nikkor 105/5.6 lens for my Pacemaker Speed Graphic. I have seen this lens described as for a 6x9. I assume it will work on a 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic but just want to make sure after my experience with the Fujinon 90 5.6 which doesn't fit (see my other post). Thanks.

Ed

jim10219
26-Dec-2018, 15:09
Hello again. I am considering a Nikkor 105/5.6 lens for my Pacemaker Speed Graphic. I have seen this lens described as for a 6x9. I assume it will work on a 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic but just want to make sure after my experience with the Fujinon 90 5.6 which doesn't fit (see my other post). Thanks.

Ed

Eh... kind of. 6x9 is smaller than 4x5. 6x9 is measured in centimeters and 4x5 is measured in inches, so that's why the larger number is actually smaller in size. The Nikkor 105/5.6 you're referring to is probably the one that only has around a 155mm image circle when stopped down to f/22. That means you'll get dark corners if you open up the lens more than f/22, which makes it not very usable. It also means that you won't have any room for movements. So, while it technically would work, it wouldn't be a great choice considering it's limitations.

Ed Vatza
26-Dec-2018, 16:43
Eh... kind of. 6x9 is smaller than 4x5. 6x9 is measured in centimeters and 4x5 is measured in inches, so that's why the larger number is actually smaller in size. The Nikkor 105/5.6 you're referring to is probably the one that only has around a 155mm image circle when stopped down to f/22. That means you'll get dark corners if you open up the lens more than f/22, which makes it not very usable. It also means that you won't have any room for movements. So, while it technically would work, it wouldn't be a great choice considering it's limitations.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm new to large format and obviously there is a lot to learn.

Ed

Ed Vatza
26-Dec-2018, 16:49

Is there a 105mm that you could recommend?

Ed

Steve Goldstein
26-Dec-2018, 17:06
The 100mm f/6.3 Wide Field Ektar will cover 4x5 when stopped down. The 105mm Fujinon CM-W has a bit more coverage than the Nikkor, but not gobs more. There's the (relatively huge) 105mm f/8 Fujinon-SW, but I don't know if it will fit your Pacemaker Speed Graphic. The old Wollensak 4-1/4" (108mm) f/12.5 will certainly cover when stopped down.

Dan Fromm
26-Dec-2018, 17:37
Ed, 90 mm is more commonly used than 105 mm on 4x5. I shoot 2x3 and 6x12, not 4x5 so my experience isn't directly relevant. Nonetheless, 105 mm is a very slightly long normal lens for 2x3 and 90 mm is a slightly short normal for 2x3. I have a small pile of normal lenses for my 2x3 cameras, also a 90, and use the 90 very rarely.

On 4x5, a 90 sees a 71 degree angle (on the format's diagonal) and a 105 sees 80 degrees. Not a huge difference.

Steve, I just looked at the Fuji catalog on cameraeccentric.com. It shows the 90 SW with a larger rear cell than the newer 90 SWD. Go figure. Unfortunately Joe McGloin's outstanding compilation of Fuji LF lens data doesn't give dimensions.

Ed, this site has many resources. It also has many grumpy old men who'll tell you that LF helps those who help themselves. Since you're a new arrival here, odds are you're not acquainted with the site's resources that will help you help yourself. I find the link in the first post in this https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?138978-Where-to-look-for-information-on-LF-(mainly)-lenses discussion a good starting point for self-help.

ic-racer
27-Dec-2018, 11:34

Ed

If you have the 6x9cm (2x3in) film back then that lens should work fine. If you are coming to large format form smaller formats, you may find processing 120 film to be more familiar than processing 4x5in sheet film.

Film backs for these cameras can be confusing, here is some good information:
https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/gbacks2.htm

Ed Vatza
27-Dec-2018, 12:02
If you have the 6x9cm (2x3in) film back then that lens should work fine. If you are coming to large format form smaller formats, you may find processing 120 film to be more familiar than processing 4x5in sheet film.

Film backs for these cameras can be confusing, here is some good information:
https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/gbacks2.htm

My film experience is mostly 35mm with a bit of 120. (I have a Polaroid 110B that was converted for Polaroid pack film and Fuji Instax Wide. I added a Mamiya 6x9 120 back for it. Also use a Zeiss Ikon that my father brought home after WWII.) Otherwise I shoot digital with Fuji and Ricoh and am primarily a street photographer. LF is something I've wanted to do for quite a while. Now that I am just about 70 I figured it was now or never. But I've got a lot to learn about LF.

Huub
27-Dec-2018, 12:58
When looking for a 105mm like lens with a small back group i can recommend a 110mm Super Symmar XL. Image circle is plenty for 4x5, but it is a big and expensive lens.

Together with a 75mm it replaced my 90mm because I often had the feeling that the 90mm was either to wide or not wide enough next to my 150mm.

Mick Fagan
27-Dec-2018, 16:41
Steve, I just looked at the Fuji catalog on cameraeccentric.com. It shows the 90 SW with a larger rear cell than the newer 90 SWS. Go figure. Unfortunately Joe McGloin's outstanding compilation of Fuji LF lens data doesn't give dimensions.

Dan, is this the information you wish to know?

Mick.

Dan Fromm
27-Dec-2018, 17:34
Thanks, Mick, that's pretty much what I saw on cameraeccentric.

Mick Fagan
27-Dec-2018, 18:08
Dan, I just carefully re-read what you wrote, sorry......

Mick.

Pere Casals
28-Dec-2018, 04:46
6x9 vs 4x5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_format

See here "Single Image" section, you will find what sizes are in inches and what in cm, many times the " (inches) simbol is omited, and cm is near always omited, this leads to some confusion at the beginning

neil poulsen
28-Dec-2018, 06:31
I have the Nikkor 105mm for my 6x9 view camera. It works fine, from my perspective. If I weren't using that lens, I would opt for the Fuji 105mm for it's larger image circle. But, Nikkor lenses are known for their contrast.

As for rise, the Nikkor 105mm (155mm image circle) will enable about a 30mm vertical rise at f22. That's about 35% rise, compared to the format. (Horizontal rise will be greater.) That's quite a lot of rise, at least sufficient for my needs. (I always work on a tripod, so f22 or smaller is fine.)

Comparatively, the Fujinon 105mm will give you about a 40mm rise, which is near 50% of the vertical format. (Vertical format is 3.25 * 25.4 = 82.55mm.) That's large. Compare those numbers to the rise that your camera can achieve.

I would say that one of these lenses should work fine for your camera at f22. I'm not sure about larger apertures, because I don't have the relevant coverage stats. But given the above, I would question the assertion that you can't use a larger aperture than f22 without vignetting, when using the Nikkor 105mm.

Dan Fromm
29-Dec-2018, 07:37
Neil, the OP fessed up on graflex.org. He has a 4x5 Speed.