PDA

View Full Version : Fujinon SWD 90mm f/5.6 Large Format Lens

Ed Vatza
26-Dec-2018, 14:19
I just purchased this lens for use with my Pacemaker Speed Graphic. I knew it was a large, heavy lens but I did not realize that the rear element is so large that it cannot be mounted on the camera. Any suggestions?

Ed

jim10219
26-Dec-2018, 15:00
Remove the real lens element, and the film holder back from the camera. Install the lens and insert your hand through the rear of the camera to screw on the real lens element. Then reinstall the film holder back. If you have a Graflock back, it should be fairly easy to remove and reinstall the back.

Bob Salomon
26-Dec-2018, 15:22
Remove the real lens element, and the film holder back from the camera. Install the lens and insert your hand through the rear of the camera to screw on the real lens element. Then reinstall the film holder back. If you have a Graflock back, it should be fairly easy to remove and reinstall the back.

Just be very, very careful that you don’t damage the len’s thread, they were not designed for this, or drop and break the gg!

Your other choices would be:

1, get another camera.
2, get a different lens.

Leigh
26-Dec-2018, 15:50
I have that lens, and have been very pleased with it on 4x5.

- Leigh

Jac@stafford.net
26-Dec-2018, 16:01
Try unscrewing the rear lens. Mount the front lens in the board and to the camera. Then remove the back and screw the rear lens to the front.

Mark Sampson
26-Dec-2018, 21:09
I don't recall that you can remove the groundglass back from a Pacemaker Speed Graphic- but it's been a long time since I used one.
If not, perhaps one of the f/8 90mm wide-angle lenses would fit. Of course no such lenses existed when the Speed was designed... a 90/6.8 Schneider Angulon, the Wollensak equivalent, or the Kodak 100/6.3 Wide Field Ektar would certainly fit.
Sharpness/contrast and coverage will not be the same... but a Speed has relatively few movements anyway.

Bob Salomon
26-Dec-2018, 21:13
I don't recall that you can remove the groundglass back from a Pacemaker Speed Graphic- but it's been a long time since I used one.
If not, perhaps one of the f/8 90mm wide-angle lenses would fit. Of course no such lenses existed when the Speed was designed... a 90/6.8 Schneider Angulon, the Wollensak equivalent, or the Kodak 100/6.3 Wide Field Ektar would certainly fit.
Sharpness/contrast and coverage will not be the same... but a Speed has relatively few movements anyway.
The Grandagon 90mm 6.8 N should fit.

Duolab123
26-Dec-2018, 22:24
I have one of these lenses, it's a beautiful lens. Not probably going to work with your camera. It would really look cool though!

Dan Fromm
27-Dec-2018, 09:11

Some, not all, Pacemaker Speed Graphics (all sizes) have spring backs. Most others have Graflok (= International) backs. A very few have Graflex backs.

Graflok backs' focusing panels are easily removed. They have to come off for Graflok accessories such as roll holders to be mounted.

Paul Ron
28-Dec-2018, 20:34
i just got that lens for my wista. its a pita screwing the rear cell in n out every time i use it, but the results are worth the trouble.

Havoc
29-Dec-2018, 03:13
i just got that lens for my wista. its a pita screwing the rear cell in n out every time i use it, but the results are worth the trouble.

Don't understand this, I got the same lens for my Wista and it is just on a regular lensboard. No need dismantling it each time.

Paul Ron
29-Dec-2018, 06:30
i have the metal wista. the front standard hole is just a tad too small to fit the rear cell through... it has to be screwed in from the back.

Bernice Loui
29-Dec-2018, 10:33
Risking damaging the rear lens cell, shutter threads and more each time this is done.

Why not consider a 90mm lens that fits within the limits of the camera?

Or, move to a camera without this front lens board limitation?

Bernice

i have the metal wista. the front standard hole is just a tad too small to fit the rear cell through... it has to be screwed in from the back.

Paul Ron
29-Dec-2018, 10:57
because i love this lens so much. plus im very happy with the camera i have.

it can be risky if you arent careful when setting up in the field. but ive got everything well organized. its just a matter of taking your time n be aware at all times. ive got the routine running so smooth, i can do it with my eyes closed.

Havoc
29-Dec-2018, 15:47

Even stranger. I have also a bog standard Wista 45 metal one (with the micro back adjustment) and a SWD90/5.6 and it just goes through the front hole. Are you sure you haven't inversed front and back elements? The front is even larger than the back. But it passes.

Paul Ron
29-Dec-2018, 16:53
no its on the right way. the front is 85mm n rear is 80mm.

i dont understand... if we have the same camera, why doesnt my lens fit through the hole? was yours filed?

Ed Vatza
29-Dec-2018, 18:22

Good to know. I haven't used it yet because it seems such a pita.

Dan Fromm
29-Dec-2018, 18:43
Good to know. I haven't used it yet because it seems such a pita.

Ed, you're lucky. If that pita is too much for you, there are other equally good 90s that will fit.

You could be unlicky. There are no alternatives to my 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon. If I want to shoot that focal length on 2x3 and 6x12 with one of my 2x3 Graphics (but not the Speed, its too long) or on a 2x3 Graphic board on my Cambo (I have an adapter), I'm stuck with fiddling. There are worse punishments.

Ed Vatza
30-Dec-2018, 02:27
Ed, you're lucky. If that pita is too much for you, there are other equally good 90s that will fit.

You could be unlicky. There are no alternatives to my 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon. If I want to shoot that focal length on 2x3 and 6x12 with one of my 2x3 Graphics (but not the Speed, its too long) or on a 2x3 Graphic board on my Cambo (I have an adapter), I'm stuck with fiddling. There are worse punishments.

I appreciate your sage comments and advice, Dan. As I said at the beginning I am new to LF. The pita is perceived right now since I haven't even tried to mount the lens at this point. When I finally get around to trying I may find it less of a pita than I am anticipating. There is a lot to learn when one is beginning a new venture. Right now I am trying to figure out where in the process of loading film in the holders through developing in a tank I am scratching the film. Once I get that figured out and corrected, I will move on to work with the SWD 90 5.6.

I see you're in NJ. I am in PA. I am headed to the North Shore (Asbury Park to Point Pleasant Beach) this morning to do a bit of shooting with the Speed Graphic and Rodenstock 150 5.6 APO Sironar S as well as some "street" with one of my Fuji digitals. Then it's back home to catch the Eagles at 4:25.

Ed

Havoc
30-Dec-2018, 03:38
no its on the right way. the front is 85mm n rear is 80mm.

i dont understand... if we have the same camera, why doesnt my lens fit through the hole? was yours filed?

I just looked at it and measured the hole in the front standard. It is clearly not filed and measures 83mm diameter. So you have to be a bit carefull putting the SWD90 on but I have no need to take it apart. ( just put it on to make sure)

Could there be more than one version of the front standard?

Paul Ron
30-Dec-2018, 08:10
I just took a closer look at my front standard. The bellows plate hole is 78mm, the standard's hole is 84mm.

A new bellows was installed on the camera just before I bought it.

That explains it.

Bernice Loui
30-Dec-2018, 10:15
Consider modifying the front frame of the replacement bellows? Adding a small radii to the front bellows frame can reduce significant lens grief and potential lens damage.

Know the very fine pitch threads used on lens cells are made of aluminum and not designed or intended to be cycled often. Constant cycling of the threads will result in serious wear and with each cycle potential for damage is very real. Beyond the toll being extracted on the threads, there is very real potential for damaging the glass on the lens cell.

Bernice

I just took a closer look at my front standard. The bellows plate hole is 78mm, the standard's hole is 84mm.

A new bellows was installed on the camera just before I bought it.

That explains it.