PDA

View Full Version : Unkown lens f2.5 Possible large format

scottmorgan
24-Dec-2018, 04:15
Picked up this lens which came with a Agiflex, it had a slide on collar so it could mount onto the camera.

Its got 15 blades and 82mm across the lens glass and is bloody heavy, Any idea?

ic-racer
24-Dec-2018, 09:07
Looks interesting, what is the coverage and focal length?

scottmorgan
24-Dec-2018, 10:41
Sorry it 32mm

pjd
24-Dec-2018, 12:59
Probably 80mm across. A few scrooges around, lighten up. It's Christmas 🎄🎅

Dan Fromm
25-Dec-2018, 12:13
Anti-Xmas spirit aside, when I first saw the picture I wondered whether it might be a lens from an aerial camera. Possible, but it lacks the stigmata. Most, not all, lenses for medium format aerial cameras have three pins at the front of the barrel, 120 degrees apart. These are for attaching spring-loaded filter holders. Aircraft vibrate, screw-in filters can and do unscrew themselves. Spring-loaded filter holders can't and don't.

I'm not acquainted with all of the likely ex-aerial camera lenses, but it is wrong for the ones I know. It has a diaphragm, so it isn't an adapted projection lens.

Bob Salomon
25-Dec-2018, 12:16
Anti-Xmas spirit aside, when I first saw the picture I wondered whether it might be a lens from an aerial camera. Possible, but it lacks the stigmata. Most, not all, lenses for medium format aerial cameras have three pins at the front of the barrel, 120 degrees apart. These are for attaching spring-loaded filter holders. Aircraft vibrate, screw-in filters can and do unscrew themselves. Spring-loaded filter holders can't and don't.

I'm not acquainted with all of the likely ex-aerial camera lenses, but it is wrong for the ones I know. It has a diaphragm, so it isn't an adapted projection lens.

Schneider and Rollei, among others, made projection lenses with diaphragms!

Pfsor
25-Dec-2018, 12:42
Anti-Xmas spirit aside, when I first saw the picture I wondered whether it might be a lens from an aerial camera. Possible, but it lacks the stigmata.

Christmas or not, I still have to see an aerial camera lens in 32mm of its diameter. Definitely not an aerial camera lens.

scottmorgan
25-Dec-2018, 13:32
Sorry not sure what I wrote before but the lens is about 82mm across the front optic and not sure where I got 32mm from :o

From a little more research it looks very similar to a kodak aero ektar 7" but the barrel and aperture ring look completely different.

Dan Fromm
25-Dec-2018, 13:48
Yep, I thought about the 7"/2.5 AE, and agree with you. The front of the barrel is wrong for that lens.

Pfsor, "aerial cameras" includes gun cameras that shot 16 mm cine film. Some of these used quite small lenses. Not what those of us who adapt lenses from aerial cameras for use on, e.g., Speed Graphics, tend to think of as aerial camera lenses but that's because we can't use them, not because they weren't fitted to aerial cameras.

Jac@stafford.net
25-Dec-2018, 14:35
Sorry not sure what I wrote before but the lens is about 82mm across the front optic and not sure where I got 32mm from :o

82mm is about 3.2 inches.

Pfsor
25-Dec-2018, 14:47
Yep, I thought about the 7"/2.5 AE, and agree with you. The front of the barrel is wrong for that lens.

Pfsor, "aerial cameras" includes gun cameras that shot 16 mm cine film. .

Dan, gun cameras are not aerial cameras, even if they shot in the air. No need to make even more confusion than it is with OP's mm, cm, and in measures.