PDA

View Full Version : The Adventure Begins

Shutterbug57
19-Dec-2018, 16:05
I got my Intrepid 4x5 in the post today. I have yet to shoot it, but that is on tap for tomorrow.

Two23
19-Dec-2018, 16:59
Make a written check list to follow for your first few shoots. It will make your life easier.

Kent in SD

Shutterbug57
19-Dec-2018, 18:02
Make a written check list to follow for your first few shoots. It will make your life easier.

Kent in SD

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

chassis
19-Dec-2018, 19:26
Congratulations! Let's see the first image.

Shutterbug57
21-Dec-2018, 18:30
It was a dreary day today with a solid, flat overcast and off & on drizzle - but I wanted to put at least a few shots through the Intrepid. The lighting was blah, so I went to the local graveyard and shot an interesting marker. I know nothing of the guy beneath, but his marker was unusual, hence interesting.

peter schrager
21-Dec-2018, 18:35
interesting grave for sure...maybe a sea captain??

Mark Sawyer
21-Dec-2018, 23:17
The Adventure Begins
It was a dreary day today with a solid, flat overcast and off & on drizzle ...

One does not simply walk into Mordor...

John Kasaian
21-Dec-2018, 23:59
Well done!
What's next?

Randy
22-Dec-2018, 06:01
I know nothing of the guy beneath, but his marker was unusual...
"Philip H. Carey of Cincinnati, head of the Carey Asbestos Manufacturing Company, and very wealthy, committed suicide by drowning.
Austin Daily Herald; Austin, Minnesota.
June 12, 1896"

Shutterbug57
22-Dec-2018, 08:07
"Philip H. Carey of Cincinnati, head of the Carey Asbestos Manufacturing Company, and very wealthy, committed suicide by drowning.
Austin Daily Herald; Austin, Minnesota.
June 12, 1896"

Ok, so his next of kin had a macabre sense of humor. I was envisioning a ships captain or a sailor that went down to the sea, hence the anchor. I was not thinking of a guy that may have tied himself to the anchor and jumped. How did you find that?

Two23
22-Dec-2018, 08:31
An anchor was a fairly common symbol at the time--I've seen them too. I think in this case it meant an untimely end to life. A similar symbol was a gravestone craved like a tree stump, which interprets as "cut down in the prime of life." Where's what I found about the anchor:

"The anchor was regarded in ancient times as a symbol of safety and was adopted by Christians as a symbol of hope and steadfastness.

The anchor also represents the anchoring influence of Christ. Some say it was used as a sort of disguised cross. The anchor also serves as a symbol for seamanship and may mark the grave of a seaman, or be used as a tribute to St. Nicholas, patron saint of seamen. And anchor with a broken chain symbolizes the cessation of life."

Kent in SD