PDA

View Full Version : Toyo 810M vs 810MII visual differences

minh0204
18-Dec-2018, 05:48
I am aware that the MII has reversible front standards to add 10cm of extension; however, are there any other visual clues that can help us tell the two camera apart at a glance? I've been starring at photos of them online and have seen the following:

Color: New 810Mii only comes in black, old 810M can be found in tan/more interesting colors.
Knobs: New 810Mii has full black knobs; old 810M has silver-capped knobs.
Bubble level: New 810Mii has bubble levels on top of the rear standards. None on old 810M

If owners of the Toyos can chime in with their experiences, that'd be great!

dodphotography
21-Dec-2018, 13:15
I am aware that the MII has reversible front standards to add 10cm of extension; however, are there any other visual clues that can help us tell the two camera apart at a glance? I've been starring at photos of them online and have seen the following:

Color: New 810Mii only comes in black, old 810M can be found in tan/more interesting colors.
Knobs: New 810Mii has full black knobs; old 810M has silver-capped knobs.
Bubble level: New 810Mii has bubble levels on top of the rear standards. None on old 810M

If owners of the Toyos can chime in with their experiences, that'd be great!

Message ARI... he seems to know the Toyo very well.

Michael Kadillak
21-Dec-2018, 14:08
Seems like you are all over this issue from an esthetic perspective. I have the older tan version and do not miss having leveling bubbles on the camera at all. Just one more thing to worry about knocking off. I have levels in my tripod head and know that when I bring the back to vertical it is always square. The durability of the finish of the camera is exemplary considering how many times over the years I have taken an elastic BTZS dark cloth on and off of the camera. A bit heavier, but it never wobbles on the tripod under breezy conditions. the fact that it will take a 24" lens down to an 8" lens fits my requirements perfectly. She is my go to point and shoot in the field within a half mile of the truck.

Dustyman
31-Dec-2018, 10:47
The newer model actually has the words "Toyo 810MII" embossed right into the metal on the lower part of the front standard, directly in front of the locking knob. It's not easy to see, as it is black on black. The easiest way to spot the 810MII is certainly the black knob end caps.

Vaughan
15-Oct-2023, 00:29
I have both a black 810M and 810MII. I don't have a tan 810M but am using images from auction sites and elsewhere, including a pdf of the original user manual to spot the differences.

It appears that the tan version has no spirit levels on the back or front standard, but at least one example I have seen has the holes pre-drilled for the spirit level on the front standard. (A level wasn't fitted, not sure that matters.)

All the black 810M versions I have seen have spirit level holes pre-drilled on the front standard; not all have the level fitted. On the back standards the majority do not have spirit level holes pre-drilled, but some do (my 810M has the holes and had one fitted). Note that the back standards with holes have them in an area that has been made thicker from the older models, presumably to provide better support for the screw threads.

Regarding the extra extension of the 810MII version, the most obvious change is that front standard can be reversed to provide more extension. Apparently this modification can be made to the earlier standards either with a replacement part or by modifying the existing part, however the 810MII has additional changes that allow the double extension bed to travel further out: just performing the front standard mod will not get the full extension.

The extension bed has two metal studs that screw in from the bottom that limit the forward travel. In the 810MII these studs are mounted further inside than the earlier version to allow it to be extended further. If you just moved the position of the studs to a 810M camera the bed will extend further but the new position of these studs will prevent the bed from closing fully. This problem was solved in the 810MII by routing a slot through the reinforcing webs for clearance, and the main focussing shaft has reduced radiuses machined in it so the bed can be extended over them. See the pictures attached below, hopefully these explain.

To conclude, converting the front standard to be reversible will allow some increase of the bellows extension but the additional full extension of the 810MII can only be obtained with further modifications to the focusing bed and the main body of the camera.