PDA

View Full Version : Best affordable 4X5 Field camera

JimboWalker
17-Dec-2018, 16:51
I have been in 4x5 for 35 years, but so far, I have been in the studio or in close familiar places using older Calumet monorails. I want a field camera that will handle lenses from 65mm to 300mm. I have a Calumet slide in 120 holder that I use often. Something light weight but sturdy. I'm sure many of you have already figured this out. Thanks!!

Two23
17-Dec-2018, 16:55
Chamonix or Shen Hao. Can often be found used. I've had both, now have the Chamonix.

Kent in SD

bill2424
17-Dec-2018, 17:39
I have a Crown Graphic that I use and one I have for sale on this forum if you are interested. Its small light and easy to use not to mention inexpensive. Check it out under fs: Crown Graphic also with a 6x9 back

pendennis
17-Dec-2018, 18:52
I use both a Super Graphic and a Sears Tower (Busch) for field work. If I don't need a lot of lens movement, they work fine. I also use a Cambo 6x7 roll film back.

Right now, a fellow has a Toyo 4x5 AX, that I'm considering. It has quite a bit more movement, and I'd consider it first. I still like the all metal field cameras, even though they're a bit heavier.

hmf
17-Dec-2018, 20:40
I recommend that you take a look at the Canham DLC.
Tons of movements, accepts a wide focal range, packs up small (and quickly) and quite sturdy. Great support from Keith Canham, even if bought used.
You may read that the movements are not the most precise (though I think the model after mine has a ruled scale on the rails) and care must be taken not to move the standards once set up, but I have found mine to work great in the field.
I bought mine a good many years ago and never wished for anything else for field work.

Peter De Smidt
17-Dec-2018, 22:41
Toyo AX

andrewch59
17-Dec-2018, 23:38
I have a shen Hao, a horseman FA and a Prinzdorff, all are great performers the Shen Hao is a little heavier but its built like a tank

otto.f
17-Dec-2018, 23:40
I’m surprised that nobody mentioned Intrepid which is by far the cheapest with 250£. Max bellows extension is 320mm which is a bit short for a 300mm. But it is a way to see whether you like 4x5” at least.
https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/intrepid-camera

Alan9940
18-Dec-2018, 08:04
The Intrepid is a fine entry level 4x5, but I'd be concerned about camera shake with the bellows racked all the way out for a standard 300mm lens. I don't have the 4x5, but I do own the 8x10 and my Fuji C 450mm lens begins to push the boundaries of this camera.

Jim Jones
18-Dec-2018, 08:58
For many years I used a 5x7 flatbed B&J, usually with a 4x5 back. With the bed extension it could easily accommodate a 21.5 inch lens. It cost a fraction of what I eventually gladly paid for a cute little 4x5 Ikeda Anba.

minh0204
18-Dec-2018, 09:16
I’m surprised that nobody mentioned Intrepid which is by far the cheapest with 250£. Max bellows extension is 320mm which is a bit short for a 300mm. But it is a way to see whether you like 4x5” at least.
https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/intrepid-camera

The Intrepid is a fine entry level 4x5, but I'd be concerned about camera shake with the bellows racked all the way out for a standard 300mm lens. I don't have the 4x5, but I do own the 8x10 and my Fuji C 450mm lens begins to push the boundaries of this camera.

The intrepid is awkward at 300mm and unusable at 65mm. It's a great 75/150/210mm lens camera, but not at the extreme range that OP asked.

A Chamonix F2/N2 is a much better camera at those lengths.

Greg Y
18-Dec-2018, 09:56
I'd choose a Chamonix or Toyo..... both based on handling & build quality.

pepeguitarra
18-Dec-2018, 11:04
You will not go wrong with an Intrepid 4x5. Very light and economical.

angusparker
18-Dec-2018, 11:33
Another vote for Chamonix F2. While it's not the cheapest, you could probably sell it on for a moderate loss and chalk that up to a rental fee. Very capable and light. Great for the field. Not bad for most other uses too. Most all movements.

Mark Sawyer
18-Dec-2018, 11:45
The best 4x5 field camera is an 8x10... :)

jmontague
18-Dec-2018, 18:41
For entering 4x5, a press camera is ideal. While not a lot of movements, there are some brands that do provide enough for many of your needs. I bought a Burke & James which has front rise and fall, front axis tilt, a drop bed that can simulate rear tilt, etc. Not bad for starters. Plus they are very rugged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob Salomon
18-Dec-2018, 19:10
For entering 4x5, a press camera is ideal. While not a lot of movements, there are some brands that do provide enough for many of your needs. I bought a Burke & James which has front rise and fall, front axis tilt, a drop bed that can simulate rear tilt, etc. Not bad for starters. Plus they are very rugged.

Rear movements control subject shape as well as scheimpflug and, if available, film placements.
A drop bed does not do all that. Especially controlling shape.

Peter Lewin
18-Dec-2018, 20:19

The OP said he has been involved with 4x5 cameras for 35 years, just in the studio with a monorail. So when he asks for suggestions for a field camera it isn’t an introduction to LF. In this case the main argument for a press camera might be price. The wooden folders on KEH (just as examples) run between $600-$850 or so, while press cameras with more limited movements can be found for less.

Andrew O'Neill
19-Dec-2018, 11:43
I sure do miss my Linhof Tech IV... I picked one up used back in the late 90's. Used it for a few years until I moved to 8x10. Then it got stolen.

M.B.
19-Dec-2018, 11:46
The best 4x5 field camera is an 8x10... :)

That´s true...:cool:

John Layton
19-Dec-2018, 12:01
The best affordable 4x5 would be the best one that you can afford! :)

jim10219
19-Dec-2018, 12:19
The best affordable 4x5 would be the best one that you can afford! :)

That's true. And without knowing the budget, it's really hard to recommend anything. You're going to have to compromise somewhere. Depending on your budget and needs, I'm sure something can be suggested that will work.

Back when I was looking for a field camera, I chose an Anniversary Speed Graphic. I switched out the front standard for a Pacemaker version to get some tilt. The movements are limited, but it's always been enough for landscape work. It works fine with all of my lenses, including my 65mm and 360mm (which is a telephoto).

What really sold me on it was the focal plane shutter, rugged build construction, rangefinder, and price. It seemed like the perfect compliment to a monorail. So now I still have the monorail for when I need extreme movements, and have the press camera for everything else. Needless to say, it satisfied my field camera itch.

chassis
19-Dec-2018, 19:25
Agree the Toyo 45 series field cameras are mechanically solid and deliver good results. I use one with lenses from 58mm to 300mm. The OP didn't give a budget so can't speak to affordability.

otto.f
20-Dec-2018, 00:48
Like often with these questions the OP seems vanished after 3 pages of answers and responders are still debating about the original theme :)
But I can surely recommend the Chamonix F2 which I own but before I’d do that, I’d take a closer look at the H1 where the backs can be changed for 6x17, 5x7 or 4x10. I missed this option when I decided for the F2

aaronnate
20-Dec-2018, 10:09
Affordable is a relative term. My first 4x5 was a Busch Pressman D. Aside from my monorails I also have a prinzdorff. I have not paid more than $200 for any of my LF cameras. Including the 8x10. They are all work horses and will not win any form of beauty contest. As long as the bellows is light tight and, in the case of a field camera opens and closes you are good.

Your 65mm requirement is going to be a tough to fit into the affordable category..

Dan Fromm
20-Dec-2018, 10:35
Your 65mm requirement is going to be a tough to fit into the affordable category..

4x5 Crown Graphic's minimum extension is 52.4 mm. 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic's minimum extension is 66.7 mm. 65/8 Super Angulon's flange focal distance is 70.5 mm.

dodphotography
20-Dec-2018, 11:50
Probably the most affordable, but a little frustrating, is a Toyo 45A. I've always found operating field cameras to be fairly straightforward but that camera has knobs and levers that always confuse me.

Rod Klukas
20-Dec-2018, 13:56
I have been in 4x5 for 35 years, but so far, I have been in the studio or in close familiar places using older Calumet monorails. I want a field camera that will handle lenses from 65mm to 300mm. I have a Calumet slide in 120 holder that I use often. Something light weight but sturdy. I'm sure many of you have already figured this out. Thanks!!

The issue with the roll back is its weight. many wooden cameras do not have sufficient springs to keep the roll back in register. Graflok is better but requires removal of the glass if the cameras has this attachment system available.
The Arca-Swiss F-Line C Field camera would be an affordable and especially in 171 series. It has a great focus screen collapses down and is extremely precise.
But i admit I am biased. These are available used so a judicious search may turn one up. This series is only available used, as Arca-Swiss in 2004 moved on to the 141 series.

Just an idea.

Winger
20-Dec-2018, 20:39
I love my Chamonix. I hike as much as I have time for and can carry it fairly easily (and I'm not a big person). I use my 135mm and 210mm the most and it handles those well.

Willie
21-Dec-2018, 05:57
Older model Linhof Technika. Solid, enough movements for most field work and they just keep on working.

Paul Cunningham
21-Dec-2018, 09:20
I would look at the Toyo 45 CF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
23-Dec-2018, 01:33
Wista 45 N,D,SP,VX? Metal, rigid, 2-3kg, compact, sturdy, versatile, accessories, bellows from 65 to 300mm ...

Daniel Stone
23-Dec-2018, 01:43
If you prefer base tilts, Toyo 45A/AII
If center tilts(front standard only) are preferable, I would recommend Chamonix 45N1/N2 or the newer F2 series. Very lightweight, available used(post a WTB ad if you feel this is a camera that suits your needs).

-Dan