PDA

View Full Version : Lancaster Instantograph lens mount size

carbo73
15-Dec-2018, 16:14
I've recently bought a Lancaster Instantograph 1887 model, 1/2 plate size, my first XIX Century dry plate camera. In fact I bought this camera because it came with a full set of 3 double book-type holders and three brass lenses. So I thought it was a wonderful complete set. But the lenses are dissapointing. Two of them are of a larger diameter than the one in the camera (one is a Goerz, the other only says "Excellent"); and the only one that fits in the camera's thread is of the Waterhouse stops type, but without it's stops. So I can't use it except at full aperture.

What I'm planning is to buy a lens with the proper diameter thread (37mm / 1,45in. more or less) and it has to be a Lancaster set to be able to use it with a wonderful Lancaster rotary or see-saw shutter. The problem I have is that most lenses I have seen seem quite larger. Anyone knows if this kind of mounting has some special name or type of lenses? There's some kind of standard sizes in lens diameters of this era, like the plate sizes?

Thanks in advance

carbo73
17-Dec-2018, 14:06
This is the camera:

Bob Salomon
17-Dec-2018, 14:24
I've recently bought a Lancaster Instantograph 1887 model, 1/2 plate size, my first XIX Century dry plate camera. In fact I bought this camera because it came with a full set of 3 double book-type holders and three brass lenses. So I thought it was a wonderful complete set. But the lenses are dissapointing. Two of them are of a larger diameter than the one in the camera (one is a Goerz, the other only says "Excellent"); and the only one that fits in the camera's thread is of the Waterhouse stops type, but without it's stops. So I can't use it except at full aperture.

What I'm planning is to buy a lens with the proper diameter thread (37mm / 1,45in. more or less) and it has to be a Lancaster set to be able to use it with a wonderful Lancaster rotary or see-saw shutter. The problem I have is that most lenses I have seen seem quite larger. Anyone knows if this kind of mounting has some special name or type of lenses? There's some kind of standard sizes in lens diameters of this era, like the plate sizes?

Thanks in advance

Or, you could make, or have someone make new lens boards for the other 2 lenses.

Two23
17-Dec-2018, 14:33
For my 1925 gundlach korona I had zbimba1 (guy on ebay) make more lens boards with custom hole. I 'm going to see if he can make an adapter board so I can simply use my technika lens boards. You will drive yourself crazy trying to match flange threads.

Kent in SD

carbo73
18-Dec-2018, 00:55
Oh, I've seen. The lens board could be easily disassembled, and it's not a complex part, just three holes, one for the lens+flange, two for the lock screws and some velvet on the backside to guard for light leaks. Maybe I could find someone nearby to do it. Anyway I would need lenses WITH their flanges, and not much larger.