PDA

View Full Version : Need direction with older HC-110

photobiker
14-Dec-2018, 16:35
As you will notice I am sorta new here. Was a member a number of years ago and just fell off the map. Looking to branch out and try some new techniques. I have some I'm going to say an old version of HC-110. It's 16 fl oz bottle dark red and thick. I have had these for at least 20 years and I think they are from the 70's. I have 5 or 6 bottles. None of the have been opened.

I'm questioning the dilution measurements of this developer. First you have to make a stock solution, adding the 16 oz of developer to 48 oz of water to make 64 oz. From there you make your working solution. Their direction, on the bottle, for working solution B is 1 part of the stock solution to 7 parts of water. How if at all does this relate to the solutions of today, 1 to 31? Another example is 1 to 11 for solution E.

Thanks

alexmuir
14-Dec-2018, 17:02
I think you can make a working solution directly from concentrate by using 1+31 for B and 1+47 for E.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

photobiker
14-Dec-2018, 18:15
So your thought is instead of making Kodak's stock solution go straight to a working solution. Without crimping my brain the proportions seem reasonably close. Lets do this. 16/48=1 to 3 ratio. Now a "B" solution is 1:31. Their direction is stock solution, 1:3, diluted to 1:7. Would this not yield 1:21?

Nodda Duma
14-Dec-2018, 18:29
I use HC-110 almost exclusively, every time I shoot B&W film and plates. I don’t dork with stock solution. 1 oz of concentrate in 31 oz of water, mix and go.

Btw the math is (1+3) * (1+7) = 32 = (1+31)

photobiker
14-Dec-2018, 18:55
Help me with the math. I knew it wasn't that simple when I typed it but I don't see how you got there. Your not taking me back to my days of calculus are you? Maybe I do. Holly crap I still remember this stuff. 1x1+1x7+3x1+3x7

Nodda Duma
14-Dec-2018, 19:31
No lol it’s not calculus... based on my kids’ homework it’s 5th grade math! :)

The important point is that, for example, you’re adding 1 oz concentrate to 3 oz water (3+1), resulting in 4 oz total stock solution. Then you’re combining each oz of stock solution to 7 oz of water (1+7) for 4 * 8 = 32 total ounces of working solution.

Do the additions in parenthesis first, then multiply.

(1+3) * (1+7) = 4 * 8 = 32

photobiker
15-Dec-2018, 06:23
Thanks

Keith Pitman
15-Dec-2018, 07:07
This website has a lot of info on HC110 including several different dilutions from stock solution:

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

otto.f
16-Dec-2018, 01:27
I think you can make a working solution directly from concentrate by using 1+31 for B and 1+47 for E.
Alex

That is not advisable unless you need a lot of working solution, like 2 liters or so. The syrup has to diluted and shaken very well to get an even dilution. The quantities of the very thick syrup are too small to be accurate for working solutions in 1 step.

Doremus Scudder
16-Dec-2018, 14:07
That is not advisable unless you need a lot of working solution, like 2 liters or so. The syrup has to diluted and shaken very well to get an even dilution. The quantities of the very thick syrup are too small to be accurate for working solutions in 1 step.

It's easy to mix smaller quantities of working solution directly from the concentrate by using a syringe or graduated pipette to measure the syrup. Rinse the syringe well in the solution, mix well and top up with water to make the total. Yes, you have to mix well, but a few minutes of stirring does the job just fine.

Use half-ounce of syrup for 16 oz. of working solution 1+31, or one oz. of syrup for 32 oz. of working solution. If you like metric, then 15ml of syrup for 480ml of working solution, etc., etc. Other dilutions are just as easy.

Best,

Doremus

Daniel Stone
16-Dec-2018, 15:31
Mixing with (warm) water helps mix the solution faster. instead of standing there stirring for a couple minutes.
In the past, I've mixed HC-110 like Nodda, using squeeze-out-the-air storage bottles to hold the mixed, warm solution.
Did this in the morning before leaving the house for work, then it has all day to cool down and when I'm home, I open the bottle, and process film. Never had a problem doing this method.

-Dan

alexmuir
16-Dec-2018, 16:04
It's easy to mix smaller quantities of working solution directly from the concentrate by using a syringe or graduated pipette to measure the syrup. Rinse the syringe well in the solution, mix well and top up with water to make the total. Yes, you have to mix well, but a few minutes of stirring does the job just fine.

Use half-ounce of syrup for 16 oz. of working solution 1+31, or one oz. of syrup for 32 oz. of working solution. If you like metric, then 15ml of syrup for 480ml of working solution, etc., etc. Other dilutions are just as easy.

Best,

Doremus

Thanks!
Alex

photobiker
16-Dec-2018, 16:59
Keith, I found that page but wasn't sure it applies to this older stuff.

photobiker
16-Dec-2018, 17:05
Doremus, it's making more sense. I wasn't sure the solutions I was seeing for todays available HC-110 were the same as this red thick stuff. I guess what they are selling today is the equivalent of "stock" solution to be prepare from the bottle. I picked the 1:31 for not particular reason, it was just in front of me and seems to be a common mixture.

alexmuir
17-Dec-2018, 01:32
Keith, I found that page but wasn't sure it applies to this older stuff.

The stuff you have will have turned a darker colour due to age. Having said that, the current product starts off a lighter colour than the older version (to my eye, anyway). The standard dilutions for the current version are the same as for the bottles you have. Actual working development times may vary between new and old, however, and you may want to do some fresh tests for standard development times if you exhaust your supply and decide to buy some of the current version.
Alex

docw
18-Dec-2018, 13:03
I mix HC-110 directly from concentrate, as needed, and use it only one-shot. I have been told that HC-110 lasts forever in concentrate. Some claim that usable bottles were discovered in ancient Greek shipping vessels, along with jars of olive oil and wine. I can't vouch for that but it does last a long time, even if it changes to red.

The Covington page that several people have already mentioned should be your starting point. So many of us have used it and downloaded it just in case it disappears from the net. It is very useful.