PDA

View Full Version : Delivery of film (8x10 and 4x5) and archival sleeves covered in Hypo-Clear powder. Fi

l2oBiN
13-Dec-2018, 01:40
An order of several 8x10 and 4x5 boxes of film, along with archival film storage sleeves arrived absolutely covered in Kodak Hypo Clear powder from a broken Kodak Hypo Clear packed that was also housed within the same package. The powder has made its way throughout the package and is even between the film box cover/seam.

Is the film salvageable? (Not sure whether it is fully sealed or just sleeved within the film box?)

FP4 8x10 - 25sh
HP5 8x10 - 25sh
FP4 4x5 - 100 sh

Print File Archival Storage Page for Negatives, 8x10 - 100 Pack
Print File Archival Storage Page for Negatives, 4x5 - 100 pack

Jim Noel
13-Dec-2018, 01:43
development of a sheet from each box will answer the question. If boxes are still sealed there should be no problem.

l2oBiN
13-Dec-2018, 01:50
Is the film within the tri/double light lock cardboard box packaged in a sealed paper/foil package or is it simply in a light tight unsealed plastic sleeve?

If it is fully sealed I am tempted to open all the boxes and thoroughly remove the powder from the tri/dual light lock cardboard box and sealed film packaging. If now it might be a more delicate situation and the powder might have made its way through into the film packaging.

David de Gruyl
13-Dec-2018, 12:54
Ilford films are in triple boxes and black (light tight) plastic bags that are folded over.

Kodak uses foil lined paper packets that are sealed. Also in light tight triple boxes.

Tin Can
13-Dec-2018, 13:17
Complain to seller

John Layton
13-Dec-2018, 13:45
Return all of this asap! Don't even think of salvaging! Ilford bags are folded over...and in the dark you will have no way of ascertaining that no powder has made its way into one or more of these bags. Yeah...maybe the one sheet you process might be ok - but the next ten might not be!

l2oBiN
14-Dec-2018, 04:33
Looks like I will receive a refund, and can still keep the film. Surely, the powder could not have made its way all the way into the folded film packaging...?

David Schaller
14-Dec-2018, 07:11
Thank you for posting this. I have always worried about just such an incident, and try to order film and paper separately from chemicals for this reason.

jp
14-Dec-2018, 13:28
Usually whenever I have ordered chemicals they will bag them in a ziploc type bag for extra protection of the other goods.

Louis Pacilla
14-Dec-2018, 14:42
looks like i will receive a refund, and can still keep the film. Surely, the powder could not have made its way all the way into the folded film packaging...?

win win!