PDA

View Full Version : Bergger BPF200 - Jobo Drum and +/- development

jantman
3-Oct-2005, 17:32
I recently came into posession of some BPF200 in 11x14. I exposed four sheets and am deciding how to process.

I have a box in 8x10, which I've shot some of, but I don't have any record of my development time (I'm at school now, and the notes are back home...)

I processed in a Jobo Drum, a 2080 I believe, which worked fine for the 8x10. I used the CPE, but am now going to use a Unicolor Uniroller.

Any suggestions? I know that pyro has been reccomended, but I'm thinking about D-76, XTol, something like that. Any recommendations for developer and more importantly time for the rotary drum? I'd like to run some tests this week, but don't have much time, so I'd like to know if anyone has a recommended starting point.

Also, what are your experiences with +/- development, and how much adjustment are you using for N+1, N-1, etc.?

Thanks.

Robert Ley
3-Oct-2005, 18:39
Jason, Try this web site http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html It is a great source for starting developer times for many developers and films. I have used the Uniroller for many years for B&W film and It works great for 4x5 and 8x10, have never used it for 11x14 film. The only thing that I can add to the uniroller, is to make sure that you use enough chemistry. I would use atleast 12oz to 16oz of chemistry per film. Depending on your choice of developer you may be able to reuse the developer and add 10-15% on your time. Developer is cheap, so you should probably use fresh for each sheet. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Don Wallace
4-Oct-2005, 09:30
I don't have an answer to your question, but I am curious about using Jobo print drums for 8x10 negatives. Does this really work? Is there something special I need to know?

jantman
4-Oct-2005, 11:13
It works beautifully.

Place the film in the drum facing in (with the emulsion away from the wall of the drum). Two sheets fit in the drum I have - the 2080 I believe.

The ridges on the drum allow chemistry to contact the base also.

Just make sure the drum is clean and relatively dry when you put the film in.

And run tests with your chemistry and film before you try it.

tim atherton
4-Oct-2005, 11:23
Jason, I haven't used the Bergger in a while, now, but my notes show

Xtol 1:1 @20c for 10.5 minutes

and

D23 1:1 @20c for 9 minutes

5 minute presoak in both cases

all in Jobo or Unicolor drums on a Unicolor base

I don't see anything I wrote about speed, so I must have used 200iso

I didn't do any N+ or whatever, just straight

Make sure to use enough volume of developer