PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Hedgerows at Sea Ranch

Jim Fitzgerald
9-Dec-2018, 19:19
Has anyone photographed the hedgerows at Sea Ranch? It looks like there is a lot of private land and I'm trying to find out where the hedgerows are as I'm finding them very interesting. I may try to head down that way this April on my way to Yosemite.
Thanks.

Peter Langham
10-Dec-2018, 12:44
Hi Jim,
I have spent time photographing the hedgerows at Sea Ranch. I have done it while staying at Sea Ranch, which gives you access to all the areas where they are. Sea Ranch is a private development that is fairly heavily patrolled. Staying on site (house rental) gets you a parking (and walking)pass for the entire place I can't recall for certain, but it is possible that some of them may be on the public access paths to the beaches. A stay at Sea Ranch is always a treat. In addition to the hedge rows, there is great coastal access as well. Be aware, light can be tricky. When it is sunny during the day, it can be a mess. Best is in the fog, I think. Ground fog occurs in Winter. Very early morning and late evening can work. Anyway, the hedgerows are beautiful, sometimes a little spooky and in general a wonderful place to spent time. Also other wonderful sights to photograph in the area. (Salt Point, Bowling Ball Beach, etc) All in all that section of coast is a favorite.

Jim Fitzgerald
10-Dec-2018, 13:35
Peter, thank you. I thought that a stay might be necessary. Bright sun in the forest is no problem for me and my carbon printing and the coast is a nice addition to the hedgerows. More research is needed and thanks again.

Andrew O'Neill
11-Dec-2018, 10:16
I'd love to photograph there on a foggy day...

Peter Langham
11-Dec-2018, 11:11
Jim, I've spent a fair amount of time in the area. Let me know if I can help.

Drew Wiley
11-Dec-2018, 13:16
Salt Point, nicknamed, Pt Lobos of the north coast, is not far away and has a good campground when not overwhelmed by abalone divers. Weather is obviously a bit unpredictable in winter; but it can be quite calm between storms, with wonderfully crisp light.

Hugo Zhang
12-Dec-2018, 21:38
Jim, I've spent a fair amount of time in the area. Let me know if I can help.

Peter,

Can you give me some ideas how to get in? Sea Ranch Lodge is closed for the season and house rental runs about $800 per night. Winter seems to be the time to go.

Thanks.
Hugo

Peter Langham
13-Dec-2018, 11:14
I've always rented houses. For lowest price, there are places on the east of Highway 1. Look for small 1 bedroom, or whatever you need. There are some really small places available. Its been a few years since I've been there, but I never paid anything like 800 a night. I just glanced at VRBO and it says average per night is about 250 (maybe optimistic), meaning there are lower prices available. I have never been there at a bad time of year. Winter can be days of watching storms move through, sunny and warm or whatever. The ground fog is not easy to predict and I suspect good result for fog require real commitment or good luck.

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Dec-2018, 13:02
Peter, thanks for this information. I'm planning a trip here at some point in the coming year. Hugo, let me know your plans maybe we can hook up. PM me.

Drew Wiley
13-Dec-2018, 14:17
Incidentally, it's just been announced that abalone season is closed the entire coming year, so that removes that particular crowd from public campsites, if that option is chosen.

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Dec-2018, 16:55
Drew, thanks for the heads up. I'll check out some campgrounds. Any recommendations?

Drew Wiley
13-Dec-2018, 18:49
I wouldn't camp back in the woods, though I know one or two good spots. It's narco country. There are a number of State Parks, with Salt Point being my favorite. It was around $20 per day last time I was there. Rocky coastline rather than beach, but highly photogenic. Beware of leaving food out. The raccoons are expert burglars. There are also private campgrounds nearby, which might have the advantage of hot showers. I just don't like the way private campgrounds sometimes look like parking lots for RV's. But if you don't use the official park campground at Salt Point, it's easy to park on the road and walk in. Best odds of finding a camping spot is off-season, though wildflowers are best in May and June. I realize you're interested to ULF b&w shots, but flowers are enjoyable nonetheless. I've got some Salt Pt prints to drymount tomorrow. But you can probably reserve campsites online in advance. Ft Ross is also in the area. I wouldn't bother driving way down here for the hedgerow at the Coast Guard facility at Pt Reyes. It's just too well known, though on a wet winter morning the herd of snapshooting tourists would be unlikely to be around. There are some magical natural tree "tunnels", but they're a bit of work to get to - distinctly uphill.

Hugo Zhang
13-Dec-2018, 19:13
Drew,

I have heard it's a gated community. how do you get in if not renting a house there?

Thanks.
Hugo

Drew Wiley
13-Dec-2018, 20:07
I haven't been at Sea Ranch itself for quite awhile. There are designated trails toward the beach open to the public by law. Whether these are proximate to cypress tree rows, I can't remember. But I had friends living there, should access have hypothetically been a problem. The gate restriction must have transpired since I was there last. One could simply e-mail the association and ask permission in advance. Include a picture of what you're working with - a great big serious camera. That should allay any fears of obnoxious tour bus herds armed with selfie sticks. There are so many old cypresses around this part of the coast that I don't think about them much. I got some lovely cypress shots two days ago just 15 miles from my house.

Merg Ross
13-Dec-2018, 22:57
Hi Jim and Hugo,

You have good tips from Peter and Drew. Back in the day, I spent a lot of time at Sea Ranch on commercial architectural assignments. Being prmarily a second home community, I often stayed in the vacant homes I was photographing. Otherwise, I slept in my van at Salt Point, or a cheap motel in Gualala north of Sea Ranch.

I would suggest checking with the HOA for permission to photograph, as Drew mentioned. The biggest concern of the roving patrols is home break-ins. Accommodations will be less expensive on the east side, in the woods. Check for studio units, currently in the $125-$150 a night range. Of course, season and location will determine price. For photography, I don't think there is a bad time of year at Sea Ranch. I would say the same for Salt Point, which is a destination in itself.

Oh, Jim for other campgrounds check around Gualala.

I look forward to seeing your results!

Jim Fitzgerald
14-Dec-2018, 00:59
Merg, thanks for the advice. I'm not sure on my timing but I'd like to put the new 14x17 through its paces. I'm used to sleeping in my van even now so that is a possibility but a place to stay that's affordable is always a good thing as well.

Jon Shiu
14-Dec-2018, 09:52
You might check for tips with Paul Kozal at Studio 391 or Jim Alinder, local photographers and gallerists. Sea ranch is not gated, but you need a parking pass to park if not in one of the few public access lots.

Jon

Jim Fitzgerald
14-Dec-2018, 11:11
Jon, I'm familiar with Paul's work and yours for that matter hence my interest in the area. I will check with these contacts when the time comes. Thanks so much to everyone.

Drew Wiley
14-Dec-2018, 11:18
One last minute piece of advice - always check road conditions in advance in rainy season. Parts of Hwy 1 are prone to slides. There were multiple slides two years ago, some of which are still undergoing major reconstruction. Another slide occurred just a couple weeks ago during a big downpour, but in the southern half of Hwy 1 below Big Sur, ironically in a repair zone.

Peter Langham
14-Dec-2018, 11:41
Camping is a good option. Salt Point is awesome, but no showers. As I recall, Gualala River Campground is nice as well. As Drew stated, no Abalone diving this year. There are multiple parking lots along Highway 1 that provide access to Sea Ranch public access trails. These don't require a permit (public beach access is required, there were huge long battles about this in the 70s). The access is for limited areas in Sea Ranch. How far you want to push it is a personal choice. They do have security throughout, but I have never been approached.

Jim Fitzgerald
14-Dec-2018, 11:46
Peter, thanks. I'm thinking I'll have to do this trip on the cheap so to speak and camping is the way to go. We will see. Salt Point sound great and I'll check into a campground with showers or hit one in Oregon on my way back. Just have to get my time figured out. Thanks.

tgtaylor
14-Dec-2018, 11:54
I just drove-in and no one was there:

https://spiritsofsilver.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Sea_Ranch.308105656_large.jpg

Thomas

Jim Fitzgerald
14-Dec-2018, 12:22

https://spiritsofsilver.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Sea_Ranch.308105656_large.jpg

Nice!

Thomas

Merg Ross
14-Dec-2018, 17:00

Thomas

Steep Ravine Cabins. Great place, Thomas, if you're lucky enough to get a reservation! That's where Dorothea Lange made the photographs for her book, "To a Cabin."

Louis Pacilla
14-Dec-2018, 17:09
steep ravine cabins. Great place, thomas, if you're lucky enough to get a reservation! That's where dorothea lange made the photographs for her book, "to a cabin."

Awesome info Merg!

rorye
14-Dec-2018, 18:51
I've spent quite a bit of time at Searanch, renting a house with the family and also just passing through. I've never seen a security guard. That's not to say they're not there, just not when I've been photographing.