PDA

View Full Version : Artifex beta 8x10 daylight tank

pau3
6-Dec-2018, 12:13
I’ve seen this new developing tank, up to six sheets at a time. Has anyone tried it? It seems very interesting, but I’m specially concerned about the ability to obtain even development. I’d appreciate any first hand opinions.

Best,
Pau

aaronnate
6-Dec-2018, 13:01
I have not used it but I would be concerned with the length of time it would take to fill the tank. I used a combiplan 4x5, which looks like a similar design, for several years and did not have uneven development. An 8x10 sheet is a lot bigger. This would concern me. Now, if you filled it with chemicals first then loaded the film in darkness, and put the lid on that uneven development concern would vanish.

williaty
6-Dec-2018, 20:54
A googling didn't turn up much. Can you provide some info on whom you're talking about and in what country they're doing business?

If they're inside the US, their due diligence research should have turned up the fact that there's an existing business working in the photo trade called Artifex. If they're in Zimbabwe or something, no harm no foul.

esearing
7-Dec-2018, 06:14
20 seconds to fill and about 10 seconds to drain in the video - so in practice one might use this with dilute development and extended time so you get more even development.

Fred L
7-Dec-2018, 06:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdJWozMqpCs

looks interesting and it fills faster than I thought it would.

Tin Can
7-Dec-2018, 07:57
The film sheath is not a new idea. The back slots may be.

Calumet offered Stainless Steel film sheaths for film processing in their Gas burst system.

Calumet filled the tanks first then put the film in.

Not sure why this new tank fills after. It most likely could be used either way.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4917/44400247140_f9b1eafb7a_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2aDuSAq)810 Film sheath SS Calumet (https://flic.kr/p/2aDuSAq) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

pau3
7-Dec-2018, 10:34
In fact, my main concern is the following. Combiplan uses 1 liter of chemistry to develop 6 sheets of 4x5 film, aproximately
(in fact, a little more). This tank uses 2 liters to develop 6 sheets of 8x10 film. This means that Artifex tank is proportionaly thinner
than the Combiplan. It seems that this is achieved by pairing sheets. But the tank has to be still rather thin. So my question is: is there enough
room to let the developer move around without creating surge marks? Another related question: which would be the right agitation pattern,
in the non continuous setting?

As I've said, it seems an interesting tank. The ability to develop 6 sheets at a time would make my life easier. I've done a lot of tray developing,
but it's a method I don't enjoy to use. I also prefer conventional, non continuous agitation patterns, which rules out many other options as well.
So this tank seems to be a good solution. But, since its price is not particularly low (around 500 euros, 440 sterling pounds), I'd like to hear the opinion of someone that has used it before buying it.

I'll try to ask the same questions to the manufacturers, but I'd like to read an independent opinion.

Tim V
7-Dec-2018, 14:12
Interesting tank, but like others I'd be concerned about the length of time it takes to fill and the agitation scheme such a tank allows, especially because I prefer to use PMK (or other pyro developers) that are finicky.

John Earley
11-Dec-2018, 07:08
$570 + shipping from Italy???

I've using an SP-445 successfully so I'd love to try one but considering the price I think there are enough other options that are already proven.

MartinP
11-Dec-2018, 15:09
Can you try a dip-and-dunk cage in a deep tank? Great agitation (with decent hangers that fit the cage, no swirling) and replenishable developer possibilities. No filling or draining time problems. I spent years developing sheets at work using this technique and was very happy with it. Now I'm rarely doing 8x10"anymore (just a few pinholes) I use a slosher in a tray for one sheet at a time and that works too, but much less efficiently for any quantity greater than one of course.

I suppose really my meaning is that developing in the dark is simple, cheap and effective and there is no need to be scared of it or to write-off the technique.

Roger Beck
12-Dec-2018, 17:12
Nice product, being able to process more than one sheet of 8x10 without flow marks or developer anomalies would be good. If anything, maybe have another device, to stack the film sheaths horizontally in a tray on top of each other, use more solution for a large tray such as a wash tray.

minh0204
10-Jan-2019, 04:45
I failed to see how this overpriced Stearman Press clone is better than any of the proven solutions. Also agitating 2.2kgs of solution plus however much the tank and accessories weigh will be challenging if not impossible.

Marco Annaratone
17-Nov-2020, 04:12
I have put on line Part One of a review of the Artifex Beta vertical tank on my youtube channel. Part Two will go online on Nov 21st.

Link to Part One: https://youtu.be/FPfX9Yuu6v4

Enjoy.

Tin Can
17-Nov-2020, 04:41
Excellent!

Looking forward to next video!

Tin Can
17-Nov-2020, 06:37
My mistake

Just looked at Calumet Catalogs and their dipping baskets were for Color PAPER not film

The vented sheaths are a good idea.

jmdavis
17-Nov-2020, 10:35
I've used the combiplan in a dip and dunk configuration for almost all of my 4x5. It provided the best development for me.

I wonder if HP ever produced an 8x10 version. I know from read Bob S's posts that they had a 5x7 version. I believe that the combi's plastic film holders are far superior to the normal stainless hangers. They are certainly easier to load without an scratching for me.

It would seem that what we really needed was an 8x10 combi-style film holder that one could use in existing 1 Gallon steel tanks. Since I use Pyrocat exclusively, I'm not too worried about the developer costs and with the SP-810 that I am using now in a community darkroom I would go through ~4 liters for 4 sheets anyway.

Mike

Bob Salomon
17-Nov-2020, 11:58
I've used the combiplan in a dip and dunk configuration for almost all of my 4x5. It provided the best development for me.

I wonder if HP ever produced an 8x10 version. I know from read Bob S's posts that they had a 5x7 version. I believe that the combi's plastic film holders are far superior to the normal stainless hangers. They are certainly easier to load without an scratching for me.

It would seem that what we really needed was an 8x10 combi-style film holder that one could use in existing 1 Gallon steel tanks. Since I use Pyrocat exclusively, I'm not too worried about the developer costs and with the SP-810 that I am using now in a community darkroom I would go through ~4 liters for 4 sheets anyway.

Mike

No, just two versions of the 45; the TAnd the L. And the same in 57.
The T versions were made for daylight processing and there was no way that we could design a lid that would not fall off from the weight of the chemistry in a T version.

Marco Annaratone
21-Nov-2020, 03:41
Excellent!

Looking forward to next video!

Thank you!

Part Two of the review is online:

https://youtu.be/yOagLYmLotY

Tin Can
21-Nov-2020, 05:53
Just watched part 2 and the addendum

Thank you!

Thank you!

Part Two of the review is online:

https://youtu.be/yOagLYmLotY

peterle
12-Oct-2021, 13:22
Hello,

I bought the artifex 8x10 tank last year in Hamburg /Germany for 490 €. Expensive, but worth buying. Why ? 6 sheets in a volume of 2.2 liter ( 75 oz). Fast charging (about 6 min for 6 sheets : Time from filmholder opening up to closing the 8x10 tank)

Only one issue: you had to prewash about 10 min to disslove the "film protective layer", so I use FOMA film and I only fill in the developper if the water is absolutly clear ! (appr. 10 times fill /refill). If not,
you will get after developping the film areas of blue isles in contact to the sheet holder. If you have this issue, dissolve 5 ml RODINAL developper in 20 ml water, put your finger in this developper solution after fixing bath and discard these areas while rubbing with your finger on the blue isles (these isles are NOT on the emulsion side !!)

Handling is very easy, i do not regret this investment - expensive - of course but you can make stand developpement with only 2.2 liters of developper. I used Jobo paper drums before: 4200 liter (!) of developper for 2 sheets (stand developement) The jobo expert drum 3005 is expensive (670 € and only for 5 sheets, no stand developement)

For 4x5 users I think Artifex tanks are to expensive - they do not worth the monney.

Peter, Dortmund (Germany)