PDA

View Full Version : current options for backpacks that will carry up to 5x7

aaronnate
26-Nov-2018, 10:34
I need a backpack for my LF gear up to 5x7. I had a total knee replacement last December and things are feeling pretty good. I went on my first short photo outing 3 miles with DSLR gear a couple weeks ago. That was enough to know my over the shoulder bags have got to go.

I thought about a jogging stroller but my outings are 99% off developed trails.

What are current makers besides F64 that people are using? I did a search but, honestly there was a lot of wading through long threads that needed to be done and several of the options are no longer being made, such as photobackpacker. That looked like a great system.

jmontague
26-Nov-2018, 11:06
Check out this site. A friend has two of these and is very happy - he carries up to an 8x10.

https://fstopgear.com/products/packs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Schaller
26-Nov-2018, 11:23
You could search this site for many previous discussions of this topic. The most efficient way to do so is with Google, actually, then restrict the results to this forum. If you read a couple of threads you will see what different people here do.

Leigh
26-Nov-2018, 11:50
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/91694-REG/f_64_BPXB_BPX_Extra_Large_Backpack.html

I have several of these, one for my 4x5, one for 8x10 with a 5x7 reducing back, others for lenses etc.
Very nice packs with movable dividers.

- Leigh

aaronnate
26-Nov-2018, 13:03
@David Schaller - I have and there is nothing that just has current makers. Lots with stuff that no longer exist, and others that travel off into long tangents. Threads are like conversations and travel where they will.

aaronnate
26-Nov-2018, 13:08
Check out this site. A friend has two of these and is very happy - he carries up to an 8x10.

https://fstopgear.com/products/packs

Wow! those are $$$$$$$$$$. Look like an amazing system though.

jmontague
26-Nov-2018, 13:26
Not cheap, but if you are doing a lot of hiking, probably worth it. I am buying one after the new year, and will report back.

scheinfluger_77
26-Nov-2018, 14:10
Try http://tamrac.com they have a number of options with movable interior dividers.

NorbertNL
26-Nov-2018, 16:38
A current maker is mr. König in Germany. He's the one who makes backpacks for Linhof as well as Leica Academy. For my Linhof MTC 4x5" gear (including 2 lenses) I'm happy with their backpack no.1. See here on their website: https://www.koenig-photobags.de/fotorucksack/. Unfortunately I don't see an English website but google translate may give you a first impression. For 5x7" I assume the no.2 would be better. It is possible to have a custom-made interior produced for a small extra fee. Orders are preferably received in personal communication. But keep in mind they're in Europe and therefore, if you're in the USA, their products can best be acquired when traveling here.

Drew Wiley
26-Nov-2018, 20:12
I use real backpacks, as in actual backpack trips. Why does someone need a special camera pack? Plenty of past threads on this topic. 5x7 is no problem.

Mark Darragh
26-Nov-2018, 20:13
Have you considered a large hiking pack that is front loading? In my experience, the harnesses on a good hiking packs are much more suitable for carrying a decent load than those found on "photographic backpacks". The camera and lenses etc can go into padded inserts. For example, the are some fishing reel cases available which are pretty similar to the old Gnass gear and Photobackpacker lens cases.

Chester McCheeserton
26-Nov-2018, 20:48
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?128103-Again-about-bags-for-LF&p=1340515#post1340515

Chester McCheeserton
26-Nov-2018, 20:55
Bruce at photo backpacker was selling leftover interior cases on here last week. I got one and no complaints at all on the build quality or protection but the orange no name camera case I got from Hong Kong actually fits my 5x7 better.

aaronnate
28-Nov-2018, 13:34
Update.

I was talking with my wife about my predicament yesterday and how frustrating it was to not be able to hike with my big cameras, She started acting weird. The poor girl can't lie or keep a secret. She got on the computer and asked if she and my sons chose well. They ordered me a Manfrotto Pro Light 3N1-36 (https://www.manfrotto.us/pro-light-camera-backpack-3n1-36-for-dslr-c100-dji-phantom) for my birthday which is next week. Cyber Monday deal at Adorama.

Why did she buy this one? Apparently because it has lots of access points, holds a bunch of stuff, and three of my tripods are made by Manfrotto so I must like them.

My family is awesome.:cool:

John Kasaian
1-Dec-2018, 20:08
An old Jansport Equinox easily digests my 5x7 Speeder, film holders & other gear

Photobackpacker
2-Dec-2018, 09:50
When Drew uses the term "real backpacks" he is referring to true "technical backpacks." These backpacks have frame sheets (the load bearing spine of the pack) that have been engineered, re-engineered and refined to achieve a custom fit for the wearer, be light weight, and, most importantly, have an outstanding ability to transfer the weight of the payload to the shelf of the wearer's hips.

Unfortunately, finding a true technical pack in an oyster opening or full panel opening style is rare to non-existent. (Thus the reason for my starting Photobackpacker) The closest I can find on the market today is a pack with a narrow front panel access. Made by Granite Gear, the Nimbus Trace Access 60 has one of the best frame sheets available anywhere. I personally tested one of these during my collaboration with Granite Gear and it sets the standard for technical packs. It was, unfortunately, too expensive to incorporate into the Photobackpacker P3 line. Even though the 60 is larger than needed, I would choose it in a heartbeat over any camera backpack if I didn't have my P3 pack.

Kelty makes an external frame with no bag called the Cache Hauler. I would also consider this as a backbone to attach a panel loader pack or have a simple full panel bag custom sewn. This Cache Hauler is used to cart quartered elk out of remote hunting regions and is first rate for heavy loads.

Some caveats:
If you are significantly overweight, the belt will not be able to tie in with the shelf of the hips and the advantage provided by the frame sheet will be lost.
If you want in a rear opening pack, you need to be the perfect size for the pack that offers it. You cannot have an adjustable torso length feature AND rear opening feature.
There are no one-size-fits-all technical packs where one size truly fits all.
The Kelty Redwing has a lower-end technical frame system and panel opening but your body needs to fit the backpack. It has no adjustment for torso length.

Sal Santamaura
2-Dec-2018, 11:19
...Kelty makes an external frame with no bag called the Cache Hauler. I would also consider this as a backbone to attach a panel loader pack or have a simple full panel bag custom sewn. This Cache Hauler is used to cart quartered elk out of remote hunting regions and is first rate for heavy loads...I have one of those and use it with several photo packs that are well designed for camera equipment but not for humans. Unfortunately, the Kelty has hinged supports for its shelf that limit the width of what fit on it. After more than a year of trying to find a dealer that would ship to the U.S., amazon UK finally added this hauler

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tatonka-Lastenkraxe-Outdoor-Pack-Frame/dp/B00GNW1S50?th=1

to its offerings. Despite high shipping cost, I ordered one which arrived a few days ago. It not only doesn't limit load width (enabling me to lash my Zone VI field camera case or my Think Tank Airport Accelerator containing an 8x10 system to it), it also stands up straight when set on the ground.

I've tried many different camera carrying approaches, including Bruce's Photobackpacker system. None of them can compare with an external frame that transfers substantially all load to the hips and keeps its back away from the user's back.

Photobackpacker
2-Dec-2018, 11:31
You are correct. The frame pack is the freight hauler. It is not compact, elegant, easily stowed nor airline carry-on compatible. It is like comparing a SUV to a Mack Truck. Internal frame packs need to make too many rigidity sacrifices to keep the pack comfortable for the user.

Bruce

ibabcock
15-Dec-2018, 19:41
I got an old tubular aluminum frame backpack from Craigslist for 40.00 from a guy that backpacked across Europe with it. It's great. Photo backpacks are designed so you can open up and pull out just what you want. When you're taking LF gear, you are going to take out 1/2 the contents every time you stop to shoot so who cares if it's top loading. The frame pack's primary goal is keeping heavy loads on your hips and not your back. In my view this is most important and not how many pockets or access points the pack has.
Ian

David Schaller
15-Dec-2018, 19:53
When Drew uses the term "real backpacks" he is referring to true "technical backpacks." These backpacks have frame sheets (the load bearing spine of the pack) that have been engineered, re-engineered and refined to achieve a custom fit for the wearer, be light weight, and, most importantly, have an outstanding ability to transfer the weight of the payload to the shelf of the wearer's hips.

Unfortunately, finding a true technical pack in an oyster opening or full panel opening style is rare to non-existent. (Thus the reason for my starting Photobackpacker) The closest I can find on the market today is a pack with a narrow front panel access. Made by Granite Gear, the Nimbus Trace Access 60 has one of the best frame sheets available anywhere. I personally tested one of these during my collaboration with Granite Gear and it sets the standard for technical packs. It was, unfortunately, too expensive to incorporate into the Photobackpacker P3 line. Even though the 60 is larger than needed, I would choose it in a heartbeat over any camera backpack if I didn't have my P3 pack.

Kelty makes an external frame with no bag called the Cache Hauler. I would also consider this as a backbone to attach a panel loader pack or have a simple full panel bag custom sewn. This Cache Hauler is used to cart quartered elk out of remote hunting regions and is first rate for heavy loads.

Some caveats:
If you are significantly overweight, the belt will not be able to tie in with the shelf of the hips and the advantage provided by the frame sheet will be lost.
If you want in a rear opening pack, you need to be the perfect size for the pack that offers it. You cannot have an adjustable torso length feature AND rear opening feature.
There are no one-size-fits-all technical packs where one size truly fits all.
The Kelty Redwing has a lower-end technical frame system and panel opening but your body needs to fit the backpack. It has no adjustment for torso length.

Take a look at Mystery Ranch packs, Dana Gleason’s company, which you can get at a number of online retailers. They are not light, or inexpensive, but they are the best at hauling weight in my experience. There are many models that have an excellent full Y zip design. I’m still using my older Dana Design Bomb Pack for 4x5, even though it’s a top loader.

Drew Wiley
15-Dec-2018, 20:27
Among my packs, I have a REAL Kelty pack, made in Glendale, CA in the 70's. I can pull view camera (incl 8x10) or med format gear out of that and have it operative every bit as fast as any dedicated camera pack, and protect the gear better without a bunch of redundant cushion weight. I just drop in poly kitchen wastebaskets into the top with complete kits (though multiple-system accessory like filters, light meter, certain lenses, go in side pouches). Dividers are made with simple fomeboard (actually, Gatorboard because its more durable), and bubble packing protects items. Plus there's lots of extra room for jackets, lunch, etc. In fact, for over two decades I put a full Sinar system in one of these, 12 @ 4x5 filmholders, PLUS up to 10 days worth of food, mountain gear, tent, sleeping bag etc etc. Approaching Geezerhood, I now use an even bigger true external frame pack for more food room, and have substituted a little Ebony 4x5 folder for long trips. But on dayhikes, I take anything from my Phillips 8X10 to 4x5 Norma, to a P67 system with large telephoto. I suspect that the real rationale for internal frame packs is that they're cheaper to make. But there are lots of "vintage" domestically-made ext frame packs laying around in people's closets - some never even used! They were far better made than imported equivalents. If you take an airline, most of these kinds of packs can be made flat for transport; or stuff your suitcase contents in there, then into a haul bag for check in. The camera gear can go into your carry-on. I'm well aware of the hassle of digging things out in a big internal-frame pack. My nephew was sponsored by North Face and had their really nice $600 huge internal frame pack. After a week hauling that thing over Class 3 13,000 ft ridges, way up in the headwaters of the Kern River,
he finally discovered that I had stuffed a Duraflame log at the bottom of it. He wasn't amused. That night, when I tried crawl into my sleeping bag, I discovered it was stuffed full of foxtail pine cones!

aaronnate
15-Dec-2018, 21:14
I can confirm that the Manfrotto Pro light 36 does indeed hold a 5x7 Kodak 2D with 4 holders in the main compartment. If the shutter on my 180 did not crap out on me last night I would have gotten it in the top with my other stuff. Nikon 7100 with 35-80, and 18-55,and light meter.

I’m a happy photographer.

CreationBear
16-Dec-2018, 08:16
My nephew was sponsored by North Face and had their really nice $600 huge internal frame pack. After a week hauling that thing over Class 3 13,000 ft ridges, way up in the headwaters of the Kern River, he finally discovered that I had stuffed a Duraflame log at the bottom of it. He wasn't amused. That night, when I tried crawl into my sleeping bag, I discovered it was stuffed full of foxtail pine cones!

That's hilarious--hopefully you told him that youth is wasted on the young. (I deeply regret not getting into the Golden Trout Wilderness when I still had a reasonable amount of cartilage in the right places.:))

FWIW, for folks looking for a load-hauler for open country and/or maintained trails, another option to the Kelty would be a Bozeman-era Dana K2 external frame.

Drew Bedo
16-Dec-2018, 10:23
Check with Bruce at PhotoBackpacker. I think he still has some storage/transport boxes for lenses and some camera enclousers too. Send him a PM here. . .user name is "PhotoBackpacker".

Then you can use about any wserious hiker backpack.

Drew Bedo
16-Dec-2018, 10:26
My Ancient LowePro Trekker AW (mid 1980s) can hold my 8x10 Kodak 2D with a mounted lens and 4 film holders. I would think that any of their current Super Trekker line would too.