PDA

View Full Version : Stand for a 24x24 Chamonix

rosshj
23-Nov-2018, 20:59
Any suggestions for a stand for a 24x24 ULF Chamonix camera? I’ve looked at miter saw tables, scissor lifts, standing desks and hydrolic lifts, but I wanted to see if you guys had any other suggestions? Needs to be rock solid, go up and down and ideally have wheels (or I could add wheels). Thanks!

Tin Can
23-Nov-2018, 21:11
Studio or field?

Show us the donuts!

(camera)

Two23
23-Nov-2018, 21:32
Mount it to a gun swivel on a 1950s Jeep.

Kent in SD

rosshj
23-Nov-2018, 23:10
Hahaha.

Randy, it’s a 24x24 Chamonix field camera, but I’ll primarily be using it in the studio. I’ll be shooting wet plate with it.

I don’t have it yet, but it should be here (along with a 30” Dallmeyer and lots of chemicals) in about a week.

Now I just need to find a stand. ��

Tin Can
23-Nov-2018, 23:34
Just order an Erector Set from 8020.

You know, copy the 20x24 Enlarger in St Petersburg.

Cameron Cornell
24-Nov-2018, 08:24
You should get in touch with Lindsey Ross in Santa Barbara, CA. She shoots wet plate on a 24x32” Chamonix and a 20x24” Mammoth Camera in the field and in the studio. Look her up. Her contact information is on her website and her Instagram. I’ve been to her studio. She’s a fantastic photographer as well as a warm and friendly person.

Cameron Cornell
Washington State
www.analogportraiture.com

rosshj
24-Nov-2018, 08:31
Thanks for thinking of that Cameron. I follow her on Instagram. She’s great.

I reached out to her over a week ago and no reply unfortutnely. From what I can see in her photos she uses a Dewalt miter saw table. This would be a great portable outside solution, but unfortunately doesn’t go high enough for portraits in studio.

I’ve come across a few other lift tables as well, but nothing is quite right.

I’m hoping a stumble across a very large century/centennial camera stand.

The search continues... 🙂

You should get in touch with Lindsey Ross in Santa Barbara, CA. She shoots wet plate on a 24x32” Chamonix and a 20x24” Mammoth Camera in the field and in the studio. Look her up. Her contact information is on her website and her Instagram. I’ve been to her studio. She’s a fantastic photographer and human being.

Cameron Cornell
Washington State
www.analogportraiture.com

Tin Can
24-Nov-2018, 08:46
Tracy Storer

http://www.mammothcamera.com/

Monty McCutchen
24-Nov-2018, 09:10
For my ULF wetplate work—20 x 24 Ebony—I use the heaviest biggest Ries/biggest Ries head. It works fine but is not the best solution. The camera weighs 55 lbs in and of itself. I use a Dallmeyer 8D (37 inch lens 17 lbs) that I put a second tripod under. In retrospect I would have purchased a commercial grade video camera tripod that can handle 250 lbs—more expensive but sturdier. Right now I am living with a workable solution albeit not the best. In the studio I am in the process of modifying an ironcast based studio stand that I was gifted. 100 lb base with a pedal to lift the roll around on castors. The rise and fall is geared. I’m in no hurry on the project so it’s a unknown future based result! I never liked the table options as I found them difficult to work around. Good luck and congrats on a beautiful camera and process to work with in large sizes. 20 x 24 plates are stunning when hit in the sweet spot. Look forward to seeing your work

Monty

ic-racer
24-Nov-2018, 13:59
I'm surprised Randy Moe does not have one of these transmission jacks. Holds >1000Lb and can be had for about $250. If not taking pictures, you can change your transmission too...

Tin Can
24-Nov-2018, 14:08
I'm surprised Randy Moe does not have one of these transmission jacks. Holds >1000Lb and can be had for about $250. If not taking pictures, you can change your transmission too...

I did when I changed transmissions for a living. Far better than doing it on your back with the front wheels on a curb...and that tiny thing would collapse with the shit I was doing.

Gave that crap up 10 years ago when I retired.

Never again...

I want robot cars and robot mechanics ASAP!

jnantz
24-Nov-2018, 17:29
In the studio I am in the process of modifying an ironcast based studio stand that I was gifted. 100 lb base with a pedal to lift the roll around on castors. The rise and fall is geared.
Look forward to seeing your work

Monty

hey monty !

i was gonna suggest looking for a semi centenial stand ( like yours ? )
i don't know the #-system but they are pretty gigantic
has a bed that slides forward with the front standard
and a counterbalanced system to rise / lower the camera...

OP sometimes they are sold for not too much money they can be broken down into
a shipping crate but they weigh a ton .. not quite the $25 shipped! they sold for new back in the day ...

good luck !
john

alfredian
24-Nov-2018, 18:36
Check out the "Uline" catalog on line - they have a wheel-mounted scissor jack lift for a bit over US$500. Quick glance at the specs mentions 51" extended height (platform deck level). Definitely a studio item, though it looks like it could handle patios/sidewalks/pavement.

I have a lot of top quality heavy gauge steel-wire shelving from Uline for my photo gear, house plants, etc. Great place to do business. You might also check out their steel-wire shelving, which can be fitted with wheels/dollies, though the scissors jack is totally adjustable.--alfredian

brucetaylor
24-Nov-2018, 19:46
Perhaps look into motion picture support. The larger models with 150mm bowl or Mitchell tops will easily support 150lbs or more. If you use a Mitchell top there are inexpensive (eBay of course) risers to get more height. I have an old obsolete tripod with a Mitchell friction head that would hold up a car! Tripod dollies are cheap too. I always thought the O’Connor Hydroped was very cool. They are also obsolete and not expensive if you can find one, uses a gas charge for the column.

Steven Ruttenberg
26-Nov-2018, 22:08

I like that solution. Looks cool. And if tyranny goes out, you got a lift to help fix it.

Steven Ruttenberg
26-Nov-2018, 22:10
I did when I changed transmissions for a living. Far better than doing it on your back with the front wheels on a curb...and that tiny thing would collapse with the shit I was doing.

Gave that crap up 10 years ago when I retired.

Never again...

I want robot cars and robot mechanics ASAP!

Lol. That is why I got life time warranty from manufacturer for my truck.

rosshj
27-Nov-2018, 17:20
This looks promising for sure. Some of them even look like they can tilt. The trick is finding one with a good range for subjects sitting and standing.

I like that solution. Looks cool. And if tyranny goes out, you got a lift to help fix it.

Greg
27-Nov-2018, 17:38
I'd keep my eyes out for a Linhof DE LUXE CAMERA STAND or similar other brand. These are so large and heavy that shipping costs are prohibitive, so sellers are more prone to offer only "you pick it up". Over the years have seen several go for only a few hundred dollars with again that caveat "will not ship, must be picked up". Well worth a day or two or even three of driving, could be well worth the road trip. Seriously considered buying one about 10 years ago, but at that time my daily driver was a restored 1974 VW Beetle... no way it would have ever fit inside the Bug.

Tin Can
27-Nov-2018, 17:58
I agree and once saw 2 of those really nice Linhof stands, but not FS, just passing through.

I want one also, but I do wonder if it is wide enough between the uprights for a 20X24 camera.

Don't buy transmissions stands, most are very wobbly and real pieces of crap. It will never work for a big wood camera.

Maybe OTC. I had one of these...OTC The Revolver. (https://www.mile-x.com/otc-1750a-6-000-lb-revolver-diesel-engine-stand/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhdfSlvD13gIVR9bACh1giw-6EAQYBSABEgIYUfD_BwE)

I needed it, but obviously not good for wood cameras.

I'd keep my eyes out for a Linhof DE LUXE CAMERA STAND or similar other brand. These are so large and heavy that shipping costs are prohibitive, so sellers are more prone to offer only "you pick it up". Over the years have seen several go for only a few hundred dollars with again that caveat "will not ship, must be picked up". Well worth a day or two or even three of driving, could be well worth the road trip. Seriously considered buying one about 10 years ago, but at that time my daily driver was a restored 1974 VW Beetle... no way it would have ever fit inside the Bug.

Tin Can
27-Nov-2018, 18:03
Here IS the money answer. They look like a trans jack.

Take your pick! (https://www.google.com/search?q=Sachtler+System+90+Studio+Pedestal+System&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiKk-zJ8fXeAhVNpIMKHa0bBLAQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1396&bih=692)

Greg
27-Nov-2018, 18:12
How about a vintage heavy duty video camera stand? Have seen these going for peanuts or even given away for free.

Tin Can
27-Nov-2018, 18:13
As some know i have a Deardorff S11 with the OE BiPost stand. http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/s11/s11.html

It has only 24" clearance between the uprights and would not be quick to modify. But possible!

It has the advantage of allowing full rotation, so you can turn your camera upside down to shoot from floor level.

Done that and posted it here some years ago.

rosshj
28-Nov-2018, 12:58
My god that's beautiful. Wonder where I could ever find one of those!

As some know i have a Deardorff S11 with the OE BiPost stand. http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/s11/s11.html

It has only 24" clearance between the uprights and would not be quick to modify. But possible!

It has the advantage of allowing full rotation, so you can turn your camera upside down to shoot from floor level.

Done that and posted it here some years ago.

rosshj
28-Nov-2018, 13:00
Those look great as well! Only issue is it costs almost the same amount as the camera.

Here IS the money answer. They look like a trans jack.

Take your pick! (https://www.google.com/search?q=Sachtler+System+90+Studio+Pedestal+System&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiKk-zJ8fXeAhVNpIMKHa0bBLAQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1396&bih=692)

Tin Can
28-Nov-2018, 14:39
My god that's beautiful. Wonder where I could ever find one of those!

500 were made in Chicago, 20's to 70's for perspective control studio product shots for Montgomery Wards and Sears catalogs.

I wanted one and found it, in Chicago, but more are around.

Seldom found without a camera, not visa versa.

A hack machinist like me could expand the post width and lengthen the control shafts.

All parts except castings are off the shelf. I got new OE Bakelite knobs from McMaster Carr.

At least 3 members here have one.

A few years ago a NYC studio sold about a dozen.

Montgomery Wards may have had 100 in one massive building that still stands.

Jim Andrada
28-Nov-2018, 20:15
Well, there's always the Linhof Gigant stand if you can find one.

Tin Can
29-Nov-2018, 06:19
I wonder how many were made. They are so rare, I haven't found anything about them online even in Germany.

I wanted one as soon as I saw that catalog, about 6 years ago.

As they used hydraulics to operate they may have all failed and leaked a big mess in studio. Hydraulic fluid is nasty. Out damn Spot!

I have a puny Linhof 8X10 that Gigant grasps in it's massive hand. I can't lift my camera without taking it to bits.

Have truck will travel for a Gigant.

Well, there's always the Linhof Gigant stand if you can find one.

rosshj
29-Nov-2018, 11:08
I really like the transmission jack option, but the fact the saddle/platform spins freely doesn't really work. I wonder if there is a model where it won't spin, or if there is a way to stop it from spinning? ��

I was hoping to buy this one and modify the base to make it wider/less tippy https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-1100LBS-2-Stage-Hydraulic-Transmission-Jack-w-360-Swivel-Wheels-Lift-Hoist/183500326670

Jim Andrada
3-Dec-2018, 20:58
You might also find something like the stands they use for the large studio video cameras - they raise and lower with fingertip pressure. I played with one at the big Broadcasting show once. Beuatiful gadgets

Here's a link to a little beauty that's rated for a 231 pound load

https://www.adorama.com/vov38520003.html

There's a smaller unit on the auction site for only $2k - plus shipping