PDA

View Full Version : Manual developing with Jobo 2500

Luca Merlo
30-Sep-2005, 13:06
I have been experiencing major problems developing 4x5 films with a Jobo 2500 tank and manual rotation. The tank leaks heavily (I own three of them and they have all the same problem). On top of that I find the rotation really awkward. I have therefore decided to agitate the tank by inversion. The process is OK but the negatives were heavily underdeveloped. I am now wandering if by prolonging the development time I will be able to get proper results or the lack of head space is not allowing a proper agitation of the developer and therefore the negatives can only get a "physical" (superficial) development.

Nick_3536
30-Sep-2005, 13:55
The 2500 is a line of tanks. Which tank do you have? The only time I've seen 2500 tanks leak is if the lid isn't seated right or if it's a multi-section tank if the section isn't seated. Are you sure you've put the lid on straight? What volume of chemicals are you using? The smallest tank won't have much head room.

Luca Merlo
30-Sep-2005, 14:54
I have the smallest tank. The one that can accomodate only one 4x5 reel. When agitating by rotation I use 600 cc of developer and this is giving me good results. When agitating by inversion I use roughly 1,450 cc of developer. Thsi is allowing the complete coverage of the negatives and allows some head-space for the recirculation of the developer.

ronald moravec
30-Sep-2005, 15:32
Done it may times woth yourset up without problems. 1400 uses almost all the head room.

Put the reel in the empty tank without the top and measure how much developer to cover the reel and then you will need to add perhaps 50/100 more as you can`t cover the reel without the top.

Store top off the tank so you don`t stretch it. Also you will need the lid that takes the 3" dia cap for the lid for inversion. You do not use the cog lid for machine agitation. There is also a center filler down the middle of the reel required for light trap and proper filling.

Henry Ambrose
30-Sep-2005, 17:25
You need to use the larger tank that holds two reels. This will hold enough solution to cover the film and have enough space left over for agitation.

The small tank -barely- holds enough solution to cover the reel. Put a reel in the tank with the top off and fill it with water. Look at what space you have when its filled to the top - that's not what you want at all.

As for your leaks, I don't know - the Jobo tanks I have do not leak. Are you sure they are assembled correctly?

Luca Merlo
30-Sep-2005, 23:04
Thank you very much to all of you. I think that having 3 tanks I will follow what roland is proposing and, if it does not work, I will follow Ambrose. The leaking is a real problem and it is the same situation I have experienced for many years with the old Paterson tanks (the ones with the gasket and the grey lid). Due to their design, they were leaking. Here I face a similar problem. By rolling the tank on a table the lid tends to come apart and the tanks start to leak (not a lot but several drops).

Sanders McNew
1-Oct-2005, 07:16
I've used the 2500-series tanks to process 4x5 sheets for years now. I will shoot 24 sheets of TXP in a session and process them in two tanks.

They are not made for inversion. They want to be rotated. I understand you do not want to roll them on a countertop. Why not just buy a used Beseler or Chromega roller base for one of their tanks? They are easy to find, cost maybe $25 apiece and work fine with the 2500-series JOBO tanks. And they work well also with the 3000 JOBO expert tanks.

It is much more convenient than inversion agitation. Fill the tank, set the timer and go do something else while the tank rolls around and around on the base. Try it.

Sanders McNew

www.mcnew.net

paulr
1-Oct-2005, 08:37
i'm curious to know if you've ever been able to get even development, without streaks, using these tanks this way.

Luca Merlo
1-Oct-2005, 11:53
Sanders, thank you for your suggestion. I am an Italian photographer and here LF cameras, lenses and ancillary equipment almost disappeared several years ago..... we have so to rely on the American sources but when it comes to purchase electric equipment you have to uderstand that we have to alter the motors to adapt them to the European electical frequency. I have been developing B&W roll films for the last 30 years using Paterson tanks and inverting them. Once you are accostomed to a method you simply try to stay this way ...... the cost of the developing agent is not an issue since I use only Rodinal that is very inexpensive in the old Europe. By the way, this morning I realised that Jobo sells a module (N. 2560) that, attached to the tanks I own (2521) increase the capacity of the tank and in such a way one can accomodate 2 reels for 4x5 leaving a lot of space for the agitation of the chemicals. This should solve my problem. I will try and I keep you posted. Paulr, thank you for the message. Franckly I do not think that developing the sheet films by inversion you could have problems of even development or streaks. I will keep you posted anyway.

Thanks again and ciao to all of you

Luca

paulr
1-Oct-2005, 12:08
"Franckly I do not think that developing the sheet films by inversion you could have problems of even development or streaks. I will keep you posted anyway."

I asked you this because a while ago I asked a Jobo technician about agitation by inverting the tanks. I was looking for a way to use the jobo tanks without a processing machine. He warned me that I was in for trouble trying to use them as inversion tanks ... they are designed to provide a smooth flow of chemicals over the film in a rotating tank, not one that's being inverted on the other axis (which is how patterson tanks are designed).

The solution he suggested is a motor base, which has worked well for me. I never bothered testing what he said about hand-inverting, so I was wondering if you had.

Luca Merlo
2-Oct-2005, 00:13
Pauilr, thank you for the precisation. By examining the interior of the two tanks, it does not seem to me that there is a lot of difference. The inversion is just needed to move the developing agent inside the tank. I do not thik there should be any problem. Other people belonging to this forum seem to like the inversion development with Jobo tanks.

I will keep you posted anyway.

Ciao

Nick_3536
2-Oct-2005, 07:41
Jobo used to list inversion volume levels on these tanks. My oldest tank listed both the volume of chemicals required for rotary and inversion. I think the reason they stopped was the large amount of chemicals it takes. Wouldn't suprise me if somebody tried using the inversion chemical amount for rotary and busted a processor.

Luca if you add the extension it'll actually take a total of three reels. It's a big tank that way. I'm not sure you'll really want to run two reels inversion like this. Firgure 2.5 litres of chemicals. That's 2.5Kg plus the weight of the tank,reels and film.

You might want to check German Ebay. Seems to have more darkroom and LF stuff then Ebay.it.

Simple thing is to roll the tank in a sink full of water. Just spin it by hand. Some people spin it on a counter top. But it shouldn't be that hard to make a roller base. It's just a motor that reverse direction every so often. Two wheels driven by the motor spin the tank.

Luca Merlo
2-Oct-2005, 12:33
Thank you Nick. I will try also what you suggested. I keep you posted.

Ciao

Henry Ambrose
4-Oct-2005, 19:02
I've used inversion with the Jobo 2500 series tanks with good results. My agitation scheme was to -gently- turn the tank over once and sit it down. What ever you do don't agitate sharply! You can dislodge the film if you are too vigorous. Trust me on this! There's lots of fluid and lots of surface area unsupported in that tank. Gentle agitation combined with lots of empty room in the tank will produce adequate movement of developer. You must have a size larger tank to do this. One reel of film needs a two reel tank and so on.

I use a motor base now for 4x5 because its easier and it still gives good results. If I am processing 12 sheets I don't have to mix extra fix as one liter in the large tank works fine for rotary processing. My fix usually goes old before it is worn out so I don't like to keep it mixed in large quantities. I still process 35 and roll film in 1500 tanks using hand inversion and think that I get better results (perhaps some compensation) over the varying exposures on roll film as compared to constant rotation.