PDA

View Full Version : Any guidance on substituting 85% TEA solution for pure TEA in pyro formula?

lungovw
20-Nov-2018, 10:03
Hello, I've been using 510 Pyro for quite a long time. Specially with HP5 20 min 20ºC stand development, it has given excellent results. But for some time now, in Brazil, where I live, it is forbidden to sell
Triethanolamine (TEA) in pure form. I can only get 85% solution. Does anybody have any experience with that? I guess the impact will be mostly in stock developer shelf life. Otherwise I could just make some adjustments in order to obtain the same final concentration of all reagents in working solution, as it will be diluted anyway. Of course I can just try it out, but wouldn't like to waste a batch before checking any helpful hint from the experts.

koraks
21-Nov-2018, 00:38
Just try it out. You may have to slightly increase developer concentration or increase development time to make up for the loss of alkalinity in the working solution, but it will most likely still function.

Alternatively you can make a 2-part Pyro by leaving out the tea (mix up the Pyro in eg glycol) and use a carbonate as the activator.