PDA

View Full Version : Michael A. Smith has passed away

Willie
19-Nov-2018, 07:46
I am posting this on my Nephew's page here.

We lost a great friend in the passing of Michael A. Smith. An excellent photographer and teacher. Opinionated, irascible and absolutely convinced Azo and Amidol was given from God for fine Photography - Michael will be missed.

He had not been in good shape as the result of a series of Strokes. Paula Chamlee, his wife - an excellent photographer, artist and teacher informed me of this as I have kept up with them as friends for some time. Both photographed with Large Format gear. Michael with the 8x10, 8x20 and 17x22. Contact prints were the goal - prints of the highest quality they could make.

http://www.michaelandpaula.com is their website. You might go on and check out the writings and images. No need to send flowers. Best thing one could do it buy a book or their cards to help with the expenses to come and to have some work of this fine photographer.

Michael was a friend and I am glad to have known him. He was abrasive at times and so sure that Azo and Amidol was the finest presentation of B&W photographs possible - later to be Lodima and Amidol - with Lodima paper the creation of He and Paula after Kodak stopped making Azo for B&W printing. His zeal and passion at times got in the way for some. For others it signaled his single minded dedication to printing of the highest order. Everything in life that could interfere with fine photography was discarded as he worked towards perfection in vision, technique and prints. A single minded dedication to excellence was what Micheal was about. In this he had the perfect Wife in Paula Chamlee - if anything - even a better photographer and teacher. To Michael's "East Coast Brusque" she is Texas laid back charm. Just as dedicated to the art of fine images she is a painter as well as a photographer, a truly talented artist.

They were a fine couple who lived from the Fine Art they produce.

Remember Michael as photographic excellence and support Paula during this time. And yes, buy a book or print rather than send flowers. The finest memorial to an excellent photographer is to have their work in your library and on your walls. I know Michael would approve. He was all about fine images.

I have been enriched tremendously from knowing them both.

Paula will put something up on their website shortly. I talked with her before posting this and have her permission to let folks know of Michaels passing.

Dan Smith

Two23
19-Nov-2018, 08:10
He was one of the greats.

Kent in SD

Tin Can
19-Nov-2018, 08:16
Godspeed Michael.

I almost met Michael and Paula last Fall at an exhibition and lunch for them.

Another Forum member and I pre-viewed the Highland Park IL exhibition and luncheon table.

We got out just before the event. So never saw them.

A life well lived.

Jim Fitzgerald
19-Nov-2018, 09:41
It is a sad day for everyone in the large format community and the art world as well. I never met Michael but when I got serious about my photography years ago Michael's writings were key to success. I'll miss him and my condolences to Paula and the family.

Vaughn
19-Nov-2018, 10:17
RIP. I heard tales of Michael from a friend who had a book published by him. A remarkable dedicated man.

John Kasaian
19-Nov-2018, 10:23
Sad news indeed.
Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei.

matthew blais
19-Nov-2018, 10:25
I first met Michael and Paula in Pasadena back around 12-13 years ago...he was attending the Silver Conference and stayed at Per Volquartz's place, as did I.
There was an informal showing of his portfolio as he and Paula were on one of their road trips for sales. We were shown at least 60 prints by both of them. I'd only seen the images printed in B&W magazine and the real deal was very impressive.

From saving Azo for over a decade to manufacturing his own brand, he did much for the community and will be missed.
My heartfelt condolences to Paula and family.

Drew Wiley
19-Nov-2018, 10:43
He certainly was dedicated to his craft and made many wonderful images. It's sad he is gone.

William Whitaker
19-Nov-2018, 11:19
This is very sad news. My sincerest condolences to Paula.
~Will

Thom Bennett
19-Nov-2018, 12:34
Sad news indeed. He lived his life dedicated to his art and cut no corners. A consummate perfectionist in everything he did. Glad to have met him and learn from him and Paula. A tireless worker. We saw him in August and, even though he was recovering from a stroke, he was talking about his next publishing adventure. A very generous soul who will be missed. RIP. Our thoughts are with Paula and family during this time of grief.

I found this video of an interview with him. https://vimeo.com/60522438?fbclid=IwAR3T4W0McZ3RkIUyFnoXj2gI-6aYRLynMq_C9n9xSD9XNyr352RfMbQn608

Merg Ross
19-Nov-2018, 13:20
It's a sad day. Michael was relentless in his dedication and passion for vision and craft. His contributions to the medium he loved were immense, and his knowledge generously shared. I fondly recall our good times together over the years. I will miss Michael.

My heartfelt condolences to Paula and family.

Merg

Michael Kadillak
19-Nov-2018, 13:21
Heartbreaking news. I had the opportunity to spend time with Michael and Paula at their home and also had them stay at our home here in Colorado several times. We had many marvelous times together with them that I will cherish and remember fondly. My heart and prayers go out to Paula and the extended Smith family.

Hugo Zhang
19-Nov-2018, 13:32
I met him once at Photo LA many years ago and we have lost another great photographer. RIP, Michael!

BILL3075
19-Nov-2018, 14:48
What a great loss ! My condolences to Paula. May his memory be eternal !

agregov
19-Nov-2018, 14:52
I had the pleasure of taking a workshop with Michael and Paula several years back. It was fantastic and I consider it one of the foundational elements of my photographic education. I will always remember Michael. And I will surely continue supporting the Lodima business. Condolences to Paula and all of Michael's close friends.

peter schrager
19-Nov-2018, 15:27
I cant add much to what's been expressed already. Michael was a dear friend and I spent a great day and lunch at their house not too long ago. He will be missed by the photographic community. You were a great inspiration to me and many others

pepeguitarra
19-Nov-2018, 15:41
Sad news indeed. He lived his life dedicated to his art and cut no corners. A consummate perfectionist in everything he did. Glad to have met him and learn from him and Paula. A tireless worker. We saw him in August and, even though he was recovering from a stroke, he was talking about his next publishing adventure. A very generous soul who will be missed. RIP. Our thoughts are with Paula and family during this time of grief.

I found this video of an interview with him. https://vimeo.com/60522438?fbclid=IwAR3T4W0McZ3RkIUyFnoXj2gI-6aYRLynMq_C9n9xSD9XNyr352RfMbQn608

Excellent video. Being new to the LF, I had no opportunity to hear about Michael and Paula until now. True artists worth studying, I could only get books by Paula in Amazon, but I have not been able to find a book by Michael. Their website link to purchase is not working.

Joe O'Hara
19-Nov-2018, 16:18
This is very sad news to me. Michael's feedback helped me greatly to become a better photographer. He was always generous with his time and perceptive in his comments and advice. My heart aches for Paula, who is a saint. A true, uncompromising original who made a real contribution. RIP.

Eric Rose
19-Nov-2018, 17:56
My heart goes out to Paula. A wonderful woman and artist.

drewf64
19-Nov-2018, 18:45
I had the distinct pleasure of attending one of Michael & Paula's Vision Workshops a few years ago.
I was blown away by their passion, dedication, incredible energy, and mastery of B&W large format photography.
Shortly after the workshop and with a decidedly new & enlightened approach I began my journey in 8x10 photography.
It is with great sadness that I read about Michael's passing.
Michael will be greatly missed by all who crossed paths with him in person or who know him through his work.
My deepest condolences to Paula, both families, and all other loved ones.
Michael's spirit will surely live on in his work for generations of photographers to come.
Drew Wagner

mdm
19-Nov-2018, 20:29
Condolences Paula. May you find a dark sky with stars to the horizon Michael.

prado333
20-Nov-2018, 05:45
Sorry to hear this news .
Condolences to his family and friends.

Michael Rosenberg
20-Nov-2018, 18:17
This is very sad news indeed. I took a workshop with over14 years ago. They gave me a great perspective on field photography. We had some great discussions. Michael and I worked very closely during the workshop on fixing a flat on their truck in Iceland. The two of them were great together, and my heart goes out to Paulaat this time of grief. He leaves behind a huge legacy, and in a sense a kind of immortality. I have several of their books, and will pull them out to study again. I found him to be very kind, stubborn, curious, and dedicated to the craft and to teaching.

Mike Rosenberg

Pere Casals
21-Nov-2018, 02:46
Yes, I'm also sorried to hear this news.
Condolences to his family and friends.

I'm pretty sure that the purity of his crafting way will be also exemplary for future photographers.

ljsegil
22-Nov-2018, 09:04
Friends,
The world of photography and particularly large format photography has lost a revered, important, and irreplacable member. Michael A. Smith passed away on November 16 at age 76. He is survived by his loving wife and fellow photographer Paula Chamlee. Michael was an outstanding large format photographer, working primarily with an 8x20 camera, most commonly portraying the landscape in a way uniquely his own. He was an equally fine teacher, mentor and friend and many of us have benefited from his workshops, writings, and guidance. The monographs that he and Paula produced from their travels and other projects are of unexcelled production quality and content. The works are available from Lodima Press (www.lodimapress.com) which also publishes works of other great and contemporary photographers, notably the Fiftieth Anniversary Portfolio of Edward Weston and the complete Portfolios of Brett Weston. Michael and Paula also personally developed Lodima Contact Printing Paper, a modern substitute with the characteristics of the long discontinued and lamented Kodak Azo Paper, and still available through their website, www.michaelandpaula.com. Michael’s final endeavor was the creation of a charitible organization, Arts of Our Time, dedicated to fostering creativity and scholarship in the arts in a way and a setting that would be uniquely the fruits of his and Paula’s lifetime of work in creating art. When brought to fruition, Arts of Our Time will be a unique creation, a great benefit to all who value art, and a tribute to all that Michael represented.
Those of us lucky enough to have known him will miss him dearly. His life’s work remains to enrich all of our lives.
Our thoughts are with Paula whose dearest companion has passed on. No one or nothing will ever replace him in her life, but she carries on to finish his legacy, striving to achieve their lives’ final goal to bring art to as many as possible.
I conclude with an emptiness that cannot be filled but a gladness in my heart that I had the opportunity to be his friend and pupil.
Laurence J Segil

ljsegil
22-Nov-2018, 09:15
My apologies, I did not see that this note was entirely redundant until the pre-existing thread came up when I inserted this note. Perhaps the moderators could combine my note with the existing thread and terminate this one. Sorry for any trouble that I may have caused, certainly none intended.
Larry

No problem, threads merged. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this sad occasion. - Oren

G Benaim
22-Nov-2018, 13:17
Amen, Larry, a bright light has gone out.

Andre Noble
22-Nov-2018, 15:48
I remember as while back he was contemplating destroying all of his negatives. I hope he reconsidered. I'm sure hes got a great body of work in his negatives and hope a home can be found for them. Wishing his wife peace and access to resources moving forward. I'm sure it's a tough time for her losing her life partner.

jnantz
22-Nov-2018, 21:45
sorry to hear this. my condolences to his family and friends.

D. Bryant
23-Nov-2018, 19:39
I just heard the news about Michael today. Dan Smith's post in the beginning of this thread characterized Michael very well. I was fortunate to have met and known Michael. Both he and Paula were dedicated to their work and Michael carved out a unique niche in his style and approach to photography. He will be missed.

Finally, I know there are those in the LF community that disliked Michael; some going so far as to accuse him of being a snake oil salesman. Never the less he was a giving individual and stood up for what he believed in. He will be missed by the LF community.

Michael Kadillak
23-Nov-2018, 20:52
I just heard the news about Michael today. Dan Smith's post in the beginning of this thread characterized Michael very well. I was fortunate to have met and known Michael. Both he and Paula were dedicated to their work and Michael carved out a unique niche in his style and approach to photography. He will be missed.

Finally, I know there are those in the LF community that disliked Michael; some going so far as to accuse him of being a snake oil salesman. Never the less he was a giving individual and stood up for what he believed in. He will be missed by the LF community.

It is quite apparent and obvious that your interactions with Michael were at the very best highly peripheral and inconsequential otherwise you would have never ever considered including the last sentence of your contribution to this notice of his passing.

Merg Ross
23-Nov-2018, 21:00
It is quite apparent and obvious that your interactions with Michael were at the very best highly peripheral and inconsequential otherwise you would have never ever considered including the last sentence of your contribution to this notice of his passing.

My thought exactly.

lab black
23-Nov-2018, 21:05
Along the road, Michael shared his rich and vast knowledge for which I am most grateful. He was a talented and curious artist that sadly, has left us too soon.

Andrew Plume
24-Nov-2018, 03:44
Truly sad news

I never met Michael but his contribution towards LF/ULF has been immense

Andrew

rgeorge911
24-Nov-2018, 18:25
I had the distinct pleasure of attending a workshop with Michael and Paula in September at their home in Pennsylvania. Not only did I learn more about how true creative artists work, I count them as my friends. I am grateful to have met Michael and wish that I could have continued the conversation.

Michael and Paula had a motto of “no secrets,” meaning that they shared everything, technical and creative.

Best to both of them.

Merg Ross
27-Nov-2018, 21:33
Received today.

https://www.lodima.org/

Andrew Plume
28-Nov-2018, 01:22

Surely the first sentence in the final para is more than a little inappropriate.......................??

Andrew

J Conrad
29-Nov-2018, 13:37
A friend, mentor and artist. A true loss on many fronts. Rest in peace.

aluncrockford
28-Dec-2018, 15:55
On Michael and Paula’s website it has been announced that Michael has passed away. I had the great pleasure of attending one of his workshops, it was an inspiration, as were both Paula and Michael, he was a fine photographer, educator and visionary. If ever you need an example of what can be achieved with vision, talent and hard work then look no further than Micheal A Smith.

My thoughts are with Paula in what must be a time of much sadness.

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/index.php

Merged with existing thread - Oren

seall
28-Dec-2018, 18:27
Goodbye dude!

Daniel Stone
13-Apr-2019, 16:37
Hi everyone,

I spoke with Paula this morning, and she asked me to remind people I know and interact with that the memorial event for Michael is tomorrow, Sunday April 14, 2019 from 2-4 pm

Michener Art Museum
138 South Pine Street
Doylestown, PA 18901
https://www.michenerartmuseum.org/

I spent 7 weeks with Michael and Paula, assisting them during their 2010 trip to Iceland. I sure learned a heck of a lot, looking back, and many of the methods I still use to this day were started due to their influence. I sure do wish I had the ability to attend this event. Alas, I'm on the opposite coast so I won't be able to go due to logistics.
However, I would encourage any locals who have gained something from Michaels(or Paulas!) writings, methods, or products such as Lodima paper, to attend.

Paula has a LOT on her plate, and is very busy maintaining not only the Lodima materials business(paper, archival supplies, etc), but also working on a book project of Michaels.

-Dan