PDA

View Full Version : 13x18 cm wood holders

carbo73
17-Nov-2018, 08:47
Hi, I'm considering the adquisition of an early XX Century 13x18 camera, but it looks like it has no holder. Are they difficult to locate in eBay or other places? Are the wood ones compatible with different models of cameras? Because I'm not even sure if I could identify the type of camera (it looks unmarked in the pictures...)

Steven Tribe
17-Nov-2018, 09:20
There are a number of basic design types for European cameras. That said, there are often small differences between similar types! The external dimensions vary slightly. The locking system can be central or at the entry end.
It is still possible to get hold of the correct (or nearly correct/Useable) plate holders. But the availability of orphan plate holders on e*** is falling a lot these days and listers are not often that helpful - so there is degree of risk in buying cameras with no film/glass plate holders.

It is not quite as bad a buying a lens without glass - which some sellers believe should command 1/2 the price of a complete lens - but there should be a difference between a set and a lone camera.

pjd
17-Nov-2018, 20:55
13x18 holders are difficult to find even if the make and model numbers are known. EBay.de is your best bet. Unmarked holders are very difficult to find. I've spent years searching for a rather obscure 13x18 holder for an extension back I have, but it feels hopeless even though I have one holder and know exactly what they look like - because there's no part number engraved on the holder, so it's difficult for sellers to describe them, and few were sold in the first place. Even camera dealers make mistakes with continental formats, a couple of years back I bought what were described as some 5x7 plate holders from a seller in the US thinking they were misdescribed 13x18 but they turned out to be 10x15.

It's probably worth waiting to find a camera complete with a set of holders, the extra money paid will save a lot of time and effort searching for parts. Now and again a camera with holders in a case comes up for sale which appears to have been in storage since the 30s.

carbo73
18-Nov-2018, 13:38
Many thanks. I was already pondering the importance of buying together camera and holders, so you have all the set. Even if it's not your favourite (and I love to collect, but also to use cameras).