PDA

View Full Version : Moses Photography in New Orleans, old camera

GG12
13-Nov-2018, 09:43
I was visiting old family relatives in New Orleans, and found some roots to Moses Photography, a shop in New Orleans from the mid 1800s, up to about 1930. Rumor was that Moses had worked with Daguerre in Paris and knew the technology, which he applied in his shop in New Orleans. Familiar to anyone?

We found this old camera off to the side. Apologies for the pictures - wondering if anyone can recognize it, or its lens? There are some markings on the dropbed - not realized until getting home later. Wondering what the era is of the camera - seems c. 1900 or so?

Thanks for any help...

Geoff

Two23
13-Nov-2018, 09:50
Looks like a Gundlach Korona, c.1920s. I have one, nice camera.

Kent in SD

mdarnton
13-Nov-2018, 10:33
Agfa-Ansco view. The bed is on backwards, too.

GG12
13-Nov-2018, 11:04
Any sense of the Agfa-Ansco date for this puppy? And is the lens familiar to anyone?

Can see the bed is on backwards.... Thanks much!

Oren Grad
13-Nov-2018, 11:25
ca. 1926-1935, per...

http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/scovill/agfa.htm

Can't tell much about the lens with the cap on.

Thom Bennett
13-Nov-2018, 11:41
Interesting! Do you know where the shop was located? I do know that Jules Lion, a New Orleans lithographer, studied with Daguerre in Paris and returned to New Orleans to open the second photography studio in the U.S. in early 1840. Is there a connection between Moses and Lion?

https://64parishes.org/entry/jules-lion

Jim Noel
13-Nov-2018, 11:44
The lens is mounted in an Autex shutter, but the lens cap hides all linfo re the lens itself.

Louis Pacilla
13-Nov-2018, 12:29
I can at the least tell you your lens was manufactured by Wollensak who also manufactured the shutter and my guess is a 7 - 9" Velostigmat II or a 7-9" Verito. Take the cap off and shot a cell phone shot of the front cell/glass showing all writing on retaining rim around the front glass.

It was not at all uncommon for owners /users of the Ansco/Agfa Universals to turn the standards around so they had the extension track towards the front so it could be extended forward (they had their various reasons). I use and have my 5x7 Ansco/Agfa Universal in the factory correct direction & that's how I prefer use it but either direction is OK.

BTW- You have the Ansco/Agfa Portable Studio Stand head attached to the bottom of your camera which must be removed before it can be used on an other tripod. I would suggest if you don't already have the legs/bottom half of the Ansco/Agfa stand you try and locate it/one. I find it makes it a terrific match on smooth flat surfaces like city streets and in studio settings.

Two23
13-Nov-2018, 13:08
I my big screen I can see it's not a Korona--the lens board keeper is opposite of the Korona and there is a pendulum level. I think I see a tube on the front standard, suggesting it has a Packard shutter? Many of these cameras were fitted with Velostigmat 7.25 in. lens. They actually make nice portraits when shot wide open. I'm going to guess mid to late 1920s. Camera should clean up nicely. The metal is likely nickel plated brass.

Kent in SD