PDA

View Full Version : Linhof III board measurements

fist
13-Nov-2018, 07:10
Hello

Trying to find these measurements for a Linhof III board, if someone could help out.

This is what i got this far :

93.5mm x 99.9mm
1.5mm thick
0.5mm ring depth

LabRat
13-Nov-2018, 10:37
What are you looking for, you have a board in front of you???

Note there are at least 3 variations of the III board, with the early having a flat bottom edge, then one that looks the same but with a small triangle cut out on the bottom center, then a new style with 2 rectangles, some other cutting and a completely different light trap seating that is the same as the modern boards...

The early second version can be fairly easily be adapted to the early earlier version, but the last is a different animal, but the last is the one that is reproduced today...

Steve K

fist
13-Nov-2018, 11:36
What are you looking for, you have a board in front of you???

Note there are at least 3 variations of the III board, with the early having a flat bottom edge, then one that looks the same but with a small triangle cut out on the bottom center, then a new style with 2 rectangles, some other cutting and a completely different light trap seating that is the same as the modern boards...

The early second version can be fairly easily be adapted to the early earlier version, but the last is a different animal, but the last is the one that is reproduced today...

Steve K

Yes, i'm aware that there are few different versions of this. But the one i posted a picture of, is the one i'm looking to get the measurements.

And no, i dont have one. Its just a picture i googled. I marked the things i need measured in red on it for the sake of clarity.

But forgot that i also need the diameter of the ring.

I did get preliminary measurements from the picture, but not sure how accurate they are :
3.5mm for the width of the ring, and 72mm diameter for the ring.
18mm ring displacement from the top

LabRat
13-Nov-2018, 20:06
Yes, i'm aware that there are few different versions of this. But the one i posted a picture of, is the one i'm looking to get the measurements.

And no, i dont have one. Its just a picture i googled. I marked the things i need measured in red on it for the sake of clarity.

But forgot that i also need the diameter of the ring.

I did get preliminary measurements from the picture, but not sure how accurate they are :
3.5mm for the width of the ring, and 72mm diameter for the ring.
18mm ring displacement from the top

Your measurment are fairly close, but not exact;

Ring OD is about 78mm

Ring is about 3.2mm wide gap

Board thickness can be about 1.5mm on earlier, but also 1.8mm on next later model board....

Ring depth is about 0.5mm, but shouldn't be critical as just felt sticks into gap...

It is about 18mm from top to ring top...

Outside is about exact what you posted...

So that we can help you, do you know exactly what camera era you have, are you trying to buy or make lens boards, trying to adapt something, etc???

My camera is an early III, (1951/52) that uses the thinner boards, but have adapted the thicker boards with a little filing, as I have found boards over the years that could fit... The thicker board camera also has a little triangle cut out on the bottom edge that prevents the thin boards from seating in the bottom FS holder lip, then they changed the light trap seat to a ring that enters the camera FS they still use today...

I think the CameraQuest site has a detailed description of the camera styles, and you should exactly ID your camera, and the picture of the lensboard might be a little different than what you exactly need... Or post you serial # here so Bob can date it for you, but still finding exact lensboards can be tricky if you don't know exactly what to look for... Making them is not hard, except they are thin, and need a good milling machine to cut the gap evenly, and a way to hold the thin material flat and without bending...

Hope this helps you!!!

Steve K

fist
26-Nov-2018, 10:10
Your measurment are fairly close, but not exact;

Ring OD is about 78mm

Ring is about 3.2mm wide gap

Board thickness can be about 1.5mm on earlier, but also 1.8mm on next later model board....

Ring depth is about 0.5mm, but shouldn't be critical as just felt sticks into gap...

It is about 18mm from top to ring top...

Outside is about exact what you posted...

So that we can help you, do you know exactly what camera era you have, are you trying to buy or make lens boards, trying to adapt something, etc???

My camera is an early III, (1951/52) that uses the thinner boards, but have adapted the thicker boards with a little filing, as I have found boards over the years that could fit... The thicker board camera also has a little triangle cut out on the bottom edge that prevents the thin boards from seating in the bottom FS holder lip, then they changed the light trap seat to a ring that enters the camera FS they still use today...

I think the CameraQuest site has a detailed description of the camera styles, and you should exactly ID your camera, and the picture of the lensboard might be a little different than what you exactly need... Or post you serial # here so Bob can date it for you, but still finding exact lensboards can be tricky if you don't know exactly what to look for... Making them is not hard, except they are thin, and need a good milling machine to cut the gap evenly, and a way to hold the thin material flat and without bending...

Hope this helps you!!!

Steve K

Perfect! Thanks a lot!

Nice to also see that my measurements from pictures were almost perfect, never had though about it before.. but seems it works quite well, all i had to do was a bit of photoshop to get it squared.

Chauncey Walden
30-Nov-2018, 12:00
I make mine out of .060 sheet aluminum and don't worry about the ring.

LabRat
30-Nov-2018, 15:26
I make mine out of .060 sheet aluminum and don't worry about the ring.

I also figured that might be possible and had gotten some sheet stock, but obtained a grab bag of odd Linhof stuff that included a few lensboards, so went to work on them (but some needed modification)...

But I'm running out of them, so back to the shop... :-)

Steve K