PDA

View Full Version : Is this a 4x5 or a 5x7 Burke and James?

Arg6442
11-Nov-2018, 12:46
Hello,

I’ve been shopping around for a 5x7 camera to play around with. I came across someone selling this camera as a 4x5 Burke and James, however, I suspect (due to the size of the ground glass) that it is a 5x7 with a 4x5 reducing back.

Can anyone more familiar tell me if I’m rigjt or wrong?

Thanks!

Alex.

Louis Pacilla
11-Nov-2018, 13:01
Hello,

I’ve been shopping around for a 5x7 camera to play around with. I came across someone selling this camera as a 4x5 Burke and James, however, I suspect (due to the size of the ground glass) that it is a 5x7 with a 4x5 reducing back.

Can anyone more familiar tell me if I’m rigjt or wrong?

Thanks!

Alex.

Yes it certainly looks to be a 5x7 w/ a 4x5 reducing back. Check to see if he has both the 5x7 back & more importantly check for the extension rail as that's one thing I would ALWAYS want with any rail bed camera. Finding a replacement can be a bitch & without the extension rail you'll be limited to shorter focal lengths & it will preclude the use of longer focal lengths.

BTW You may want to check the bellows for pin holes as B&J cameras can have bellows which appear to be hole free but can have pinholes in the corners.Have the seller do the flash light test if their not sure.
You can always replace the bellows or patch pin holes if present but take in into account when buying as it should lower the sellers asking price. IMHO if pinholes are present they are easy to fix and that would not necessarily be a deal killer "IF" the asking price is right and camera is complete.

You can read over the specs of this camera in this B&J catalog.http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/bj_1.html

Two23
11-Nov-2018, 16:38
Agree it is a 5x7 with a 4x5 back. If this is all that's in the sale, I'd pass. I'd want a longer focus and without the 5x7 back you basically have a bulky 4x5.

Kent in SD

Jim Jones
11-Nov-2018, 20:21
Keep in mind there were two versions of the extension rail. One uses one mounting screw while the one pictured uses two. I used a 5x7 model with both 5x7 and 4x5 backs for many years. There are better cameras, but mine did all I ever needed.

Arg6442
11-Nov-2018, 22:15
Hey, thanks for replying!

Fortunately, I’ve already got a Burke and James 5x7 back (it was given to me for free). Since I am moving to college soon, I don’t know if I’m crazy about bringing both a 5x7 and my very bulky 4x5 Cambo legend. Having a folding 5x7 field camera with a 4x5 back could solve the problem.