PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 450mm M Availability

William Marderness
27-Sep-2005, 08:02
Does anyone know where I can buy a new Nikon 450mm M lens?

Wilbur Wong
27-Sep-2005, 08:28
Where have you tried?

Tom Westbrook
27-Sep-2005, 08:38
I was looking the other day for one of those and didn't find anything--but I wasn't looking all that hard. Neither Badger nor Midwest list it any longer. I think it was rumored to be discontinued in a post a few months ago.

Kevin M Bourque
27-Sep-2005, 08:55
They're back ordered at B&H but Robert White (UK) has 'em.

Hassle Vlad
27-Sep-2005, 09:54
Midwest Photo Exchange has seven coming in soon, around $1150. After those are gone, according to Jim, there will be no more. So get your name in.

evan clarke
27-Sep-2005, 10:12
The Fuji 450C might be a consideration. I use it on my 8x10 and it is really a performer and half the size of the Nikkor...EC

Michael Kadillak
27-Sep-2005, 11:06
I know that when you want to get what you have been waiting for and you get concerned about the supply the money is burning a hole in your pocket but relax. They have been making and selling these lenses for years and make no mistake that there there wil be plenty to go around for a long time. I have seen at least six of them in the used market in the last five months at great used prices. The key is to put that credit card away and have cash in hand and be disciplined enough to do your searching and wait until the right deal comes along. Could take a week or it could take a month +, but you will get what you want.

Secondly, why purchase new when you can get the same lens in mint condition for a savings of $300 - $400. My second 450M I got for $450 in absolutely mint condition from a huge re-seller on %$ay. Save you hard earned money for film and chemistry.

I have the Fuji 450 C and rarely use it anymore. The Nikon is such a fabulous optic that it is one of my first choices for 8x10 through 12x20.

Cheers!

evan clarke
27-Sep-2005, 12:13
Michael,
Would you make some comarisons between the Nikkor and the Fuji, please? The Fuji is pretty good but if the Nikkor is that much better I may try to find one..EC

John_4185
27-Sep-2005, 12:26
Check out item #7549356332 on that auction site. It's got a BIN of $850.

Ken Lee
27-Sep-2005, 13:25
Doesn't the Nikon 450M provide greater coverage ?

John Kasaian
27-Sep-2005, 13:46
I don't know anything about the Fuji, but the 450 M will certainly cover 12x20 with movements. An all-time great lens IMHO.

Michael Kadillak
27-Sep-2005, 13:54
I find the Nikon 450M has far greater coverage than the Fuji. How much more is really not a big deal to me. I can put the 450M on my 12x20 and I am constantly amazed at what it produces as far as a usable to the edge image circle.

Don't get me wrong, the Fuji 450C is a very sharp lens. But I find that the Nikon is optimized with to be a little less sharp and as a result it appears to me that they dialed in more contrast. With contact printing 8x10 and up, give me contrast until the cows come home. Even contacts at 15 lpm can look more than visually acceptable to the average viewer so this needs to be put into the correct perspective. If I were enlarging I might feel different about this subject. At the end of the day you need to carefully consider the results that the process you are working with.

I got the Fuji because it was so small and light and these days gladly lug the 450M anywhere because it just flat out smokes in the image making department - Copal #3 and all.

Cheers!

evan clarke
27-Sep-2005, 13:56
The Fuji has an image circle @ f22 of 486mm the Nikkor is 440, but if it's anything like my Nikkor 300m, the coverage is vastly understated..EC

tim atherton
27-Sep-2005, 13:57
The fuji C f12.5 covers 486mm and the CM-W f8 covers 520mm - both more than the Nikkor

I've yet to run out of movement with the Fuji C on 8x10

Michael Kadillak
27-Sep-2005, 14:09
Throw the manufacturing specs out the window as they are meaningless. Put the lens on a ULF camera and put it through its paces. Only then will you understand how marvelously the Nikon 450M shines.

tim atherton
27-Sep-2005, 14:17
I had one for a while Michael - just didn't like the look it gave. No doubt an entirely personal thing. Out of the several Nikkors I've used, the only one I really liked was the 90mm f8 which I still have. But I now have 4 Fujinons - all of which suit me very well.

Eric Leppanen
27-Sep-2005, 14:51
I currently own both the Nikon 450M and Fuji 450C. I agree that each lens has specific strengths. The 450M has more coverage and a smidge more contrast, and is an excellent ULF lens. The 450C is much smaller and lighter. Both seem to provide similar resolution (the Fuji might be a smidge sharper), based on inspecting chromes produced by each with a 10x loupe. While the Nikon has a larger maximum aperture, I find that it makes little difference when focusing with 8x10, at least with my shooting style.

If you shoot 8x10 or smaller, and don't need the extra contrast, then I suggest the Fuji is an excellent choice. Otherwise the Nikon should get the nod.

Michael Kadillak
27-Sep-2005, 14:54
I have similarly photographed with Schneider, Fuji, Rodenstock and older Kodaks and numerous Artars and agree Tim that it is a personal thing as it comes to the visual output.

The initial attractive to the Nikon line of LF lenses was the low price as compared to the German offerings, but there are acceptions to the rule as certain designs are simply in a class of their own.

This is one situation where a recommendation must be qualified with hands on experience to be valid. What I have done in the past is to let someone use a film holder in my camera with a particular lens I have to see how it looks to them in a print. It gives them an opportunity to try it before they buy it and I encourage other LF shooters to do the same if they can within their group of associates when in the field together.

Onward!

Edmund Sumner
27-Sep-2005, 15:51
Hi

Try mr Cad in croydon London

He has a wholeload of Nikon lenses

otherwise e-bay is always good

edmund

John_4185
27-Sep-2005, 16:07
Heck, the Caltar II 375mm with a circle of 468mm covers better than the Nikkor M 450 and it's brigher to boot. And less expensive! (to boot again)

Michael Kadillak
27-Sep-2005, 16:18
Maybe better on paper jj, but not even close in the actual world.

Christopher Perez
27-Sep-2005, 16:49
FWIW, the Fuji 450C just hits the corners of 12x20 at f/45 with acceptable (at least to me) contact print resolution.

Andrew O'Neill
27-Sep-2005, 19:02
I used to own this lens until it was stolen. It's an awesome lens. As far as I know, Nikon has stopped production of it, but that doesn't mean their not out there....somewhere...like mine.