PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice regarding Chamonix n-1 vs n-2....

gphoto120
30-Oct-2018, 06:50
I’ve been considering a move to 4x5 format and have settled on either the Chamonix 45n-1 or n-2. After reading reviews and checking prices, would anyone care to share their opinion/advice as to whether the n-2 improvements warrant the $ 200-400 extra cost that it looks like I would have to spend for a used or even new n-2 over buying a used model 1? This would be used for landscape almost exclusively.

Thanks in advance for any advice.......

Gary P

Corran
30-Oct-2018, 09:06
I have an N-1 model, but I've also played a little bit with an N-2 that another forum user has. There's some slight differences on the back end where you can adjust the rear standard forward and back. The differences are small and I decided it wouldn't be worth selling my N-1 and "upgrading" to the N-2. Not to mention my N-1 is beat to hell from usage so value is very low.

However the more pressing issue on the N-1 was an initial production problem with the ground glass, or more specifically the fresnel. I don't have a handy link to the discussions about it but basically the fresnel messes with the focus point for shorter lenses (where you need it most). I took my fresnel off and just let it be dimmer. I one day need to upgrade the GG on my camera to a nicer, brighter screen w/ fresnel. Doing that would likely bridge the gap in cost, so, overall I think I would recommend the N-2 since you are buying one or the other, unless you found a steal on an N-1 and didn't mind this issue.

andreios
30-Oct-2018, 11:10
I'm no expert on Chamonix,just unpacked my first one,but I would say the more decisive matter would be between the F and the N models.

cp_photo
30-Oct-2018, 11:13
About a year ago I bought a new 045-N1 "classic" model directly from Chamonix. Although it does not have all the movements of the later models it is a very good camera and I am very happy with it. Hugo was very helpful and the camera was shipped immediately with accurate tracking.

Two23
30-Oct-2018, 20:49
I've been quite happy with my 045n1. Have not felt a need to get another. Am considering getting a wide angle bellows.

Kent in SD