PDA

View Full Version : grain/reticulation in type 55

Tom Krahn
25-Sep-2005, 09:58
I have been trying to use polaroid 55 to obtain negatives for scanning. I have had the problems that others have posted in regard to clearing the chemicals from the negative. I have used sodium sulfite, hypo clearing agent, and plain water. My most sucessful attempts have been with leaving the negatives in water in the polaroid pail for 5 hours, and then rinsing off.

But ...
I am noticing grain on the scanned negatives. I know that the negative is felt to virtually grainless, so I'm wondering, what am I doing wrong?

Could I be getting reticulation? I'm using room temperature water, and although I'm not using a thermometer, there are no dramatic changes in temperature. (I will use a thermometer with my next clearing, I have to find it. But my sense is that temperature change is not the issue here.)

Any help is greatly appreciated. I posted a clip of an image here (http://fctvplus.net/~krahn/dahlia.jpg) that shows what I am referring to. This is a 100% clip of a 2500 dpi scan from an Agfa duocsan 2500. (Subject is dahlia petals.)

Donald Qualls
25-Sep-2005, 11:39
I agree, that looks like mild reticulation.

The Type 55 is a softer emulsion than most "big name" sheet films (hence suggestions to use a hardener as well as the sulfite clearing bath), and the long soak, even without significant temperature change, could lead to reticulation. You should be able to clear the negatives with a minimum of fuss with a simple soak (a few minutes to, at most, a half hour) in 20% sodium sulfite solution. If you're having trouble with developer gel removal or other clearing issues, are using the correct strength sulfite solution, and the film you're using isn't expired, I'd suggest contacting Polaroid.

Bill Jefferson
26-Sep-2005, 02:51
Tom
Try dip and dunk the negs for a couple of minuits, the developwe will wash off, flowing warm water wash for acouple of minutis will clear the back coat. 5 hrs is way too long