PDA

View Full Version : How to get chandelier crystals to show colors of spectrum.

Tarek El Baradie
9-Oct-1999, 17:33
I am currently shooting chandeliers with plenty of crystals involved. I managed the star effect but the crystals seem and look dead with no colors in them. I ha ve seen pictures with crystals really shining with the colors of spectrum. Any i dea how to achieve that ? I use studio flashes and not tungsten lighting.

Tony Brent
9-Oct-1999, 23:30
You probably want to get some light shooting through the prisms from behind or to the side. Maybe mount a bare bulb unit up inside the tiers of prisms. Make some Polaroids.

Jacque Staskon
10-Oct-1999, 21:40
If you cross light the chandelier using a direct gel light you will get color. Adjust the color by moving the light back and forth. Don't diffuse this hot light. If you diffuse it you will loose its brilliance. The crystals will pick up color from the gel and other colors will magically appear.

Ellis Vener
11-Oct-1999, 01:45
You need a point source. Try painting the inside of one of your reflectors black (with heat resistant paint!). If you use a diffused light or even a standard reflector and a grid refractor, the size of the light source will cancel out the effect.