PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid Holder Jam

Dan V
24-Sep-2005, 17:20
For the past year, I've used Polaroid 54 film with an old metal 545 holder to proof my shots with no problems. Today in the field, I was able to use the first four Polaroids from the top of the box, but with the fifth one I was unable to get the paper sleeve to retract. Applying enough pressure to pull teeth caused the entire film packet to snap out. When I got home (where I left my spare holder of course), I tried that extra holder and had the same problem-paper sleeve wouldn't retract. The clips in both holders seem to be working properly.

The box of 54 film had been sitting around for some time and I wonder if the film itself is the problem. Any ideas?

John Cook
24-Sep-2005, 17:28
It has been many moons since I shot Polaroid on a regular basis in the studio. Things change.

But in those days (1990's) they used to have an exceedingly generous exchange program for failed films.

Save all your rejects, just in case.

Ted Harris
24-Sep-2005, 19:20
They still have a generous exchange program but only for film that is not past its expiration date. Out-of-date film sometimes has exactly the problems you describe. I have had it happen several times.

Dan V
1-Oct-2005, 15:58
Thanks John and Ted. Finally got around to getting a new box of Polaroids and they seem to work fine.