PDA

View Full Version : What am I seeing here?

John_4185
24-Sep-2005, 10:24
http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/biogon-scanned.jpg

I was selling a lens so I put it face-down on a scanner to picture it.

Feel free to disabuse me of delusion, but would the image be showing a cross-section (albeit distored) of the elements up to the aperture? I'm wondering if with some modification it might be a way to investiage lenses, possibly showing cemented elements as well.

N Dhananjay
24-Sep-2005, 10:37
It sures like that. But my guess is that it is a reflection of the light source in the scanner, perhaps being reflected from multiple surfaces. Cheers, DJ

Jorge Gasteazoro
24-Sep-2005, 11:09
Bummer, if it had been a Jesus image you could have sold this one for a zillion.... :-)

Scott Rosenberg
24-Sep-2005, 11:14
this is one of the most cleverly disguised adverts i've seen in a while.

nicely done.

John_4185
24-Sep-2005, 11:28
No Scott, it WAS for sale. It's over. I was reviewing pictures when I came about it.

Dan Fromm
24-Sep-2005, 13:00
Not enough reflections ...

Stan. Laurenson-Batten
24-Sep-2005, 13:47
The best rendition of a UFO for some time.

Terence Spross
24-Sep-2005, 19:37
The lens has 8 elements in 5 groups, each of the five groups is showing a prismatic reflection from the front of each of the five coated lens surfaces (four of them seen thru prceeding elements). The scanner illuminates the subject with a horizontal lamp off-axis of the sensor path, and the curvature of the lens surfaces relative to the straight light source cause the reflections to be curved and off center to one side of the lens center. You are not observing the cross section of any group.

I assume the white semi-circle has to do with light going thru the lens from the ambient room light or a white background behind (above the lens) during the scan.
see http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A8003B8B6F/EmbedTitelIntern/BiogonT4538_engl/$File/Biogon4_5_38_CFi_e.pdf

Even though the rear elements are as physically as large as the front elements, each groups reflection of the scanning light appears smaller than the preceeding one when viewed from the front.

John_4185
24-Sep-2005, 19:57
Terence [...]
I assume the white semi-circle has to do with light going thru the lens from the ambient room light or a white background behind (above the lens) during the scan. [...]

Thanks for that.

Just a small data point: the semi-circular shape is almost certainly a reflection from the shutter, which was closed, so no part of the image could have come from the rear clusters.

If it would help, I can scan a lens with which others are familar. If I have one.

John Kasaian
24-Sep-2005, 19:59
Obvious---lenticular clouds ;-)

dan nguyen
24-Sep-2005, 20:23
WOOOW.... a Biogon on 500C (or CM?)... nice pic that worth an ad by itself... :-)

hmmmm ..how much did you sell it..?

John_4185
24-Sep-2005, 21:05
http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/theface.gif

Jorge Bummer, if it had been a Jesus image you could have sold this one for a zillion.... :-)

Here ya go! Hope a zillion is enough to get film in Mexico.

Jorge Gasteazoro
24-Sep-2005, 21:54
There you go, now if I only I could win the loterry I could buy the film for this special lens... :-)