PDA

View Full Version : A Fishy Idea - Is Stereoscopic or 3D Images a crazy Idea or even possible?

Markham941
8-Oct-2018, 08:47
While i'm waiting for some parts for my 8x10 scanner project I was thinking how else I can use the camera.

I thought I could take high resolution 3D or stereoscopic images. But since I know practically nothing about LF photography and even less 3D/Stereo images, I'd thought I would just spit-ball some ideas and ask some questions.

3D Images

Get a cheap lens that has a small diameter but one to maximize the image circle.

Then mount the lens in such a way as to be able to slide it to the other side of the board. This way I could capture the right and left eye image.

180 degree images

If possible do the same mounting as 3d images buy with a fisheye for stereoscopic images. (something like the Arsat 30mm)

I was also thinking of gettin very small and cheap 180 degree lenses (something from a security camera) and mount two identical ones on the same lens board. It would be far easier to cover one than move it. (Though I think the image circles would be super tiny)

The main issue with either idea is keeping the proper lens distance (separation) for the subject being photographed.

Solution?

Large format Photography QUESTION

Since there is such little space on the lens board,

Would it be possible to use a SHIFT movement on the rear or front standard to vary the lens separation without moving the camera body?

Pere Casals
8-Oct-2018, 10:06
This a well known technique since the XIX century.

Just you need a longitudinal plating (or curtain) to avoid the image circle from one lens exposing the negative area of the other lens.

If your subject is static you can use the cha-cha method, this is moving the tripod towards one side to take a second shot.

The 1-30 rule: The lateral separation between the two shots should be around 1/30 of the camera to subject distance.

For displaying the capture there are several ways, this is the easiest: https://www.google.es/search?rlz=1C1AOHY_esES708ES708&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=zoy7W6O7K6qbgAbQ-Jf4AQ&q=stereoscope&oq=stereoscope&gs_l=img.12...0.0.0.125688.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.img..0.0.0....0.xJYOVxngdM4

The shift movement of the camera would be enough to take the two shots ...if the amount of shift can reach 1/30 of the subject distance, but you can also just move the tripod. You can shot a bit wider than what you will show to have some room to align the images as you want.

callmebrick
8-Oct-2018, 10:49
I've often thought about using the rear shift method but never gotten around to trying it myself.

Markham941
8-Oct-2018, 17:10
This a well known technique since the XIX century.

Just you need a longitudinal plating (or curtain) to avoid the image circle from one lens exposing the negative area of the other lens.

If your subject is static you can use the cha-cha method, this is moving the tripod towards one side to take a second shot.

The 1-30 rule: The lateral separation between the two shots should be around 1/30 of the camera to subject distance.

For displaying the capture there are several ways, this is the easiest: https://www.google.es/search?rlz=1C1AOHY_esES708ES708&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=zoy7W6O7K6qbgAbQ-Jf4AQ&q=stereoscope&oq=stereoscope&gs_l=img.12...0.0.0.125688.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.img..0.0.0....0.xJYOVxngdM4

The shift movement of the camera would be enough to take the two shots ...if the amount of shift can reach 1/30 of the subject distance, but you can also just move the tripod. You can shot a bit wider than what you will show to have some room to align the images as you want.

Perfect!

Thank you! I preferred not to 'Cha-cha-cha' since lining up camera after moving (even if it's just parallel) but a if a shift is doable then I'll do a test.

I'm not worried about a 'double' exposure since my camera is a digital but thats neat information nonetheless.

Thank you for mentioning the the 1/30 rule. I was reading about it last night so I guess I am going in the right direction.

And thank you, for the link to the stereoscopic viewers.
I might print out some of my photos to do that but right now I was planning to do some compositing to do 3d glasses photos and if I do get a fisheye some 180 stereoscopic images to view through a VR headset.

Will this be a total failure? Maybe but I like tinkering. :D