PDA

View Full Version : Lens hoods for barrel lenses

peter brooks
7-Oct-2018, 13:01
Any smart ideas for making lens hoods for older barrel lenses?

The obvious solution would be a thin card or foam tube but once squashed they are unlikely to ever be circular again once away from the body of the lens.

Other threads suggest slotted card boxes (more suitable for modern lenses in shutters), adapted 'barn doors' or the simple 'hold up a darkslide' solution (I've photographed my hand more than once trying to do a similar thing :) )

Something like a 'modified' (='hacked about') Hasselblad compendium shade could be ideal but how to fit it to many different (non-standard) barrel sizes?

Many thanks,
Peter

Leszek Vogt
7-Oct-2018, 13:12
Larger compendium like Calumet/Cambo could be adapted or just use Dinkum shade attached to flash receptacle. Probably lots of other options...

Les

Jimi
7-Oct-2018, 13:25
Whatever happend to the bowler hat shade? ;)

LabRat
8-Oct-2018, 03:20
If you had a hinged bracket that attached to the camera, you could swing down any number of shade shapes over different lenses without directly attaching to the lens, as all you need is to cover the lens area with a flip down shade...

You can choose square, rectangle, or round tube shapes...

I took an old Lowell light snoot about 6" dia, and about 6" long and put it on a hinged bracket that attached to the top of the FS so I could swing it up out of the way when adjusting lens settings, but would swing down close to the lensboard while shooting... Works well!!!

Steve K

Jac@stafford.net
8-Oct-2018, 09:33
Horseman compendium works well.

Bernice Loui
8-Oct-2018, 09:52
For lens shading of outdoor lenses, use the film holder dark slide to cast a shadow on the lens.

Best value for a large lens shade could be the Horseman compendium like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Horseman-Bellows-Lens-Shade-Hood-Type-II-23544/163296574377?hash=item26053bfba9:g:UMIAAOSw39FaxuPA

Bernice

BrianShaw
8-Oct-2018, 17:40
Whatever happend to the bowler hat shade? ;)

Replaced by Homburgs I believe.

But since I like to keep my hat on my head I use series adapters and shades on my barrel lenses and many shuttered lenses.

When not using a compendium, of course.

torashi
8-Oct-2018, 18:37
Linhof has a flash shoe mount bellows shade, too. And even an universal filter holder and shade which fits over different barrel sizes with the propper donut ring. Check them out, too. Perhaps as reference.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk

Ted R
9-Oct-2018, 09:49
If it is cylindrical hoods you are after something may be fabricated using inexpensive standard black PVC plumbing fittings, where I am they come in various diameters, 3, 4 5 inch with some step down couplings that might be useful. Easy to cut, drill and glue PVC.

Ken Lee
9-Oct-2018, 09:57
Note that compendium lens hoods attach to the camera, not to the lens. That way you can change the lens but keep the hood.

A compendium is adjustable for maximum protection from lens flare while accommodating view camera movements while still avoiding vignetting.

Nice designs, like the Horseman to which Bernice linked, have a hinge so that you can flip them up out of the for easy access to the lens, shutter, etc.

Bob Salomon
9-Oct-2018, 10:00
What Bernice said. Note that compendium lens hoods attach to the camera, not to the lens. That way you can change the lens but keep the hood.

A compendium is adjustable for maximum protection from lens flare while accommodating view camera movements while still avoiding vignetting.

Nice designs, like the Horseman to which she linked, have a hinge so that you can flip them up out of the for easy access to the lens, shutter, etc.

Most large format compendiums mount to the camera body, medium format, like the Hasselblad one suggested mount to the lens and can not adjust for camera movements.

peter brooks
14-Oct-2018, 13:03
Thanks everyone, some good ideas.

A compendium is probably the proper way to do it but I like Ted R's low tech idea of black pvc plumbing tubing, maybe with some fairly dense foam inside to size appropriately to each lens.

Or maybe a piece of the plumbing tubing attached to one of those snake-like sections you see on adjustable desk lights., one size could fit all in that case.

Bob Salomon
14-Oct-2018, 13:12
Thanks everyone, some good ideas.

A compendium is probably the proper way to do it but I like Ted R's low tech idea of black pvc plumbing tubing, maybe with some fairly dense foam inside to size appropriately to each lens.

Or maybe a piece of the plumbing tubing attached to one of those snake-like sections you see on adjustable desk lights., one size could fit all in that case.

Unless you use movements and end up vignetting!

If you use movements on a view camera a compendium is the answer.