PDA

View Full Version : 4X5 developing tank

Mark Andes
23-Sep-2005, 15:05
Is there a 4x5 tank like the 35mm ones with the reels so I can develop B&W at home?

Mike Cockerham
23-Sep-2005, 15:11
Yes there is , Jobo makes one #2508. You need the tank, reel, and loader. There is a loader on auction site now.

Mike

David A. Goldfarb
23-Sep-2005, 15:38
There is also a Nikor stainless tank that you can sometimes find used, and the HP Combiplan tank, which is a rectangular shaped daylight tank. Avoid the Yankee tank--very few people seem to like it.

You can also process film in other ways, in open trays or with a deep tank line and hangers, and there are a few options for processing in drums or tubes.

ronald moravec
23-Sep-2005, 15:45
A 4x5 Nikor holds 12 sheets on a reel similar to 35mm. Make sure you get the band that goes around the reel that hold the film in place.

load the reel and store in the dark. Fill the tank with 36 oz and lower the reel into the developer, pull up once and resubmerge. Add the cover.

invert four times every minute. Pour out developer and add fix just like a 35mm tank.

Practice several times with one sheet of test film. The reel needs to be sized for 4x5 with 1/8 in extra or it is hard to load. Check all four places for adjustment each time you use it, one each 90 deg quadrant.

Ill send instructions if you need them.

John Cook
23-Sep-2005, 16:17
Look over on the other side of this site for Eugene Singer's article on the proper way to develop sheet film. Eugene and I have learned the hard way what works. But feel free to instead re-invent the wheel for yourself. ;0)

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/alternative-developing/

Ron Marshall
23-Sep-2005, 16:27
The Jobo 3010 and 3006 tanks have 5 and 6 cylindrical holes, respectively, into which sheet film is placed, after bending the film. It is simple to load and unload, uses a small volume of chemicals, is easy to handroll on the Jobo roller base ($20) and gives consistent even development. I have seen a few on ebay for about 1/2 of what they are new ($150, on ebay).

ronald moravec
23-Sep-2005, 18:11
Never got a streak with my Nikor. Notice I lower the film into a full tank of developer just as you are supposed to with all stainless tanks. Pouring developer thru a hole allows the developer to run across the the film with a continuous flow in one spot making a streak. The other way to error is loading emulsion out so that the emulsion touches the vertical support bar.

Do not do either, and properly invert and give a 1/4 turn upon setting down will get perfect negs.

Robert C. McColloch
23-Sep-2005, 21:11
Take a look at this link: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?pid=1553 . I've used the Combi T tank for a number of years with great success leaving years of tray development and scratched behind.

Eduardo Aigner
24-Sep-2005, 19:02
Go for the Jobo. I use a 2509N (6 sheets) and the 2500 series tank. You dont even need the loader, after some practice it becomes second nature.

You if you got the processor, even better!

http://www.jobousadarkroom.com/products/2500.htm

Brian C. Miller
24-Sep-2005, 19:07
The reason to avoid the Yankee tank is because it produces highly uneven development. The film is held top and bottom, instead of on the sides. When the film is agitated, there is no way to get an even pattern. I have tried up and down movement, I have tried lifting the tank side-to-side, rapid, slow, with just a few sheets in the tank, etc.

As far as the Jobo goes, make sure that you get the new reel, I think its the 2508N. They improved the reel for better development.