PDA

View Full Version : Calumet 8x10

Josh C
7-Oct-2018, 04:38
I am looking at purchasing this camera but while looking at it i am confused if it accepts normal film holders, looking at the back i cant seem to figure out how the back would expand to let in a film holder. If anyone has used this camera before or has any information on it that would be great. These are the only photos listed 183073183074183075183076

Thank you

Rick A
7-Oct-2018, 04:51
Go see it in person and have the seller demonstrate it for you. First thing you need to do is unfold/set up the camera. Once that is done you'll see how to insert a film holder.

wooserco
7-Oct-2018, 05:13
Go see it in person and have the seller demonstrate it for you. First thing you need to do is unfold/set up the camera. Once that is done you'll see how to insert a film holder.

Might be tough to see it in person, an EBay listing. Looking at the same camera, there are no pictures of the back.

I have it in my watch list, but have decided to stick with 4x5 at the moment.

Josh C
7-Oct-2018, 05:32

It seems like the seller is unsure on what he has, I understand on other calumet cameras theres normal a strong wire which seperates the ground glass from the back to insert a holder but cant see anything on this one

Might be tough to see it in person, an EBay listing. Looking at the same camera, there are no pictures of the back.

I have it in my watch list, but have decided to stick with 4x5 at the moment.

Yeah thats my problem and the seller is also unresponsive to messages so isnt very helpful

Michael Roberts
7-Oct-2018, 06:07
The spring back seems clearly visible in pics 1 and 3. In pic 1, if you look past the folded up rear rail, you can see the spring on the left side. The spring back is in portrait orientation. Given the vintage of the camera, I would be amazed if it does not accept modern film holders. By the time all metal cameras were made, all major brand U.S.-made 8x10 camera backs were standardized.

Tin Can
7-Oct-2018, 06:10
That may be an early model. Seems to not have the very useful 'bail back'.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/calumet/calumetc8x10.html

Josh C
7-Oct-2018, 06:54
The spring back seems clearly visible in pics 1 and 3. In pic 1, if you look past the folded up rear rail, you can see the spring on the left side. The spring back is in portrait orientation. Given the vintage of the camera, I would be amazed if it does not accept modern film holders. By the time all metal cameras were made, all major brand U.S.-made 8x10 camera backs were standardized.

Thank you I thought that was the spring but was unsure glad someone has confirmed it!

That may be an early model. Seems to not have the very useful 'bail back'.

Thats what was confusing me most seem to have a different style back and cant find any information on this camera anywhere, wondering if it would be a good first step into 8x10

Michael Roberts
7-Oct-2018, 07:41
Josh,
Would this be a good first step into 8x10?

It depends on how much this camera will cost and what your plans are (e.g., studio only vs. field work). If you can get it for $500 or less and plan to only use it in the studio or next to your vehicle, then it could be a good starter camera.

My first 8x10 was a 1948 Kodak 2D. I paid around $500 in today's dollars. Eventually I replaced it with a lighter weight camera since most of my work is landscapes.

If you want to get out and about, and keep your investment low, I would look at buying a new Intrepid 8x10. If you have more money to drop, then there are a lot of used, higher-quality (and relatively heavy) cameras available for $1,500-$4,000.

Josh C
7-Oct-2018, 08:01
Josh,
Would this be a good first step into 8x10?

It depends on how much this camera will cost and what your plans are (e.g., studio only vs. field work). If you can get it for $500 or less and plan to only use it in the studio or next to your vehicle, then it could be a good starter camera.

My first 8x10 was a 1948 Kodak 2D. I paid around $500 in today's dollars. Eventually I replaced it with a lighter weight camera since most of my work is landscapes.

If you want to get out and about, and keep your investment low, I would look at buying a new Intrepid 8x10. If you have more money to drop, then there are a lot of used, higher-quality (and relatively heavy) cameras available for $1,500-$4,000.

Thanks for the insight, yeah mainly using it for studio work, got a 5x4 field camera which i can back pack anywhere but looking for something to use within the studio and have some fun with, Im going to keep a eye out on the camera and see what price it goes for!

Tin Can
7-Oct-2018, 09:08
C1 was sold as a moveable studio camera.

https://www.largeformatcameras.net/picture.php?/3615/category/107

Mark Sampson
7-Oct-2018, 10:10
That's quite an early model; the tripod mounting block is different than the c.1970 version that I used on the job.
Later ones were metallic green and made of magnesium; the last version was painted black and made of aluminium.
They are fine cameras...btw Cole Weston used one "in the field" for his color work.

Tin Can
7-Oct-2018, 16:49
I must stress bellows condition is paramount, to OP.

Few want to replace them. Expensive and a PITA.

Buy excellent bellows, if possible.

I once spent $1K for 3 new bellows for one camera.

No regrets!

Best thing I have done in LF for a while. :)

joem
7-Oct-2018, 22:59
i have one, the back has a bail? you lift to allow inserting the film holder.
Oh and the back can be revolved for portrait or landscape.
Picked up a plastic foot? locker at target it's big enough for the camera without lens or board and foam for protection, good enough to get it around in the car but cheap and not too sturdy.
Like others have said nothing to take on a hike but solid.
If i can help with anything else contact me.
j

joem
7-Oct-2018, 23:54
i looked at the pictures again and Randy is right i can't see the bale. Missing or a different version who knows.
joe

Rick A
9-Oct-2018, 09:17
Check out the first couple of photos in this article, no bail back.