PDA

View Full Version : Question About Lens Mounting Flanges

Jwheeler331
5-Oct-2018, 07:46
So, I recently acquired a couple of lenses. A Carl Zeiss Tessar 300mm and 360mm lens and they came with the original mounting flanges however; how would I go about picking up another or two for my other cameras? Are there companies out there that make flanges? A place to get original ones?

My cameras all take a different size lens board and sure I could just unscrew one off of a lens board and screw it on the next each time I want to switch but would be nice to have a couple extra flanges.

Any ideas?

Bob Salomon
5-Oct-2018, 07:56
Grimes, any machine shops, many camera repair shops can help you.

Jwheeler331
5-Oct-2018, 08:35
Grimes, any machine shops, many camera repair shops can help you.

I just found Grimes site. That may be a good place. We don't have any camera shops around me but do have machine shops. Thanks.

consummate_fritterer
5-Oct-2018, 13:54
You could adapt your various lens boards to accept one common board. For instance, I once had a Crown Graphic and Toyo View monorail. I mounted the front bits from a broken 4x5 Graflex to the front of a Toyo 6x6 inch board so both could share lenses. I had a Chamonix 4x5 which used 4x5 Technika boards and a bought factory-made Technika-to-Toyo adapter board.

Greg
5-Oct-2018, 16:33
This may not work for you, but have hot glued many a lens to a lens board. One optic was hot glued to a Sinar lens board and the hot glue has held up for more than 20 years. Plus is totally reversible, and cost all of 25 cents if you already own a hot glue gun. Just use plenty of the hot glue sticks.

Bob Salomon
5-Oct-2018, 16:41
This may not work for you, but have hot glued many a lens to a lens board. One optic was hot glued to a Sinar lens board and the hot glue has held up for more than 20 years. Plus is totally reversible, and cost all of 25 cents if you already own a hot glue gun. Just use plenty of the hot glue sticks.

And make sure that the lens ends up properly aligned to the film with all that glue!

scheinfluger_77
5-Oct-2018, 16:51

This is one i have not heard. How is it reversed?

Jwheeler331
5-Oct-2018, 19:04
I may try to go the single style lens board combo thing if I can make it work. That’s if I can’t get a couple spares.

LabRat
5-Oct-2018, 21:11

Heat... If you are careful with a heat gun avoiding optics, or spot removal lightly scraping with a soldering iron...

Or most can be cut away with a razor knife...

Steve K

scheinfluger_77
6-Oct-2018, 06:05
Heat... If you are careful with a heat gun avoiding optics, or spot removal lightly scraping with a soldering iron...

Or most can be cut away with a razor knife...

Steve K

Thank you. Do you glue on the front of the lens board or the back?

LabRat
6-Oct-2018, 13:20
Thank you. Do you glue onn the front of the lens board or the back?

On the back where the threads come up through the lensboard, apply to the board and into the threads...

You don't have to apply all around with lighter lenses, just 3 or 4 points in the circle...

Steve K

Jac@stafford.net
6-Oct-2018, 13:31
You might consider the maximum and minimum diameter of your preferred lenses to determine if they would work with a universal lens mount (https://www.catlabs.info/product/saltzman-universal-iris-lens-clamp), then if it feasible/possible to make a lens board adapter that works for your cameras. In the shop I have a couple. Nudge me for pictures.

For my purposes I install the universal mount adapters to Linhof boards to fit everything from native Linhof t0 9x9" boards.

scheinfluger_77
6-Oct-2018, 14:15
I thought about those but had never seen one until looking at the Chamonix site. I’m willing to try the glue method first. :)

Jwheeler331
6-Oct-2018, 17:15
You might consider the maximum and minimum diameter of your preferred lenses to determine if they would work with a universal lens mount (https://www.catlabs.info/product/saltzman-universal-iris-lens-clamp), then if it feasible/possible to make a lens board adapter that works for your cameras. In the shop I have a couple. Nudge me for pictures.

For my purposes I install the universal mount adapters to Linhof boards to fit everything from native Linhof t0 9x9" boards.

Nudge nudge.

Jac@stafford.net
6-Oct-2018, 17:26
Let's start with this (http://skgrimes.com/products/lens-board-adapters).

jim10219
7-Oct-2018, 09:15

I prefer rubbing alcohol. Allow some rubbing alcohol to seep in between the glue and the joint and it should just pop right off. It’s much quicker and easier to do than scraping or reheating the glue.

I’d also recommend just using a single sized lens board for all of your lenses and then using adapters for all of your cameras. It makes switching and storing your lenses much easier. Since my smallest lensboard is a Anniversary Speed Graphic, I use the 4x4 wooden lens boards. They have the added bonus of being really cheap. Plus, if I have a lens without a retaining ring, I can just drill a hole into the wooden lens board slightly smaller than the inside of the threads, lube the threads, and screw the lens directly into the wooden board. The wood deforms to accept the threads and holds them really tightly. I can avoid having expensive custom made retaining rings or glue this way. Then, I make lens board adapters by mounting old front lens board holders from parted out Anniversary Speed Graphics onto empty lens boards for my other cameras. Most people use Technika style lens boards for this because they are smaller and more common. They are also easier to find premade lens board adapters for, so you don’t have to make your own.

Jwheeler331
7-Oct-2018, 18:57
Thanks for all the tips and info everyone.