PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Klipper

Steven Ruttenberg
3-Oct-2018, 14:27
Got this link from a friend. I am not overly thrilled with his work, but he has a couple.

http://www.stuartklipper.com/

Jac@stafford.net
3-Oct-2018, 17:11
Got this link from a friend. I am not overly thrilled with his work, but he has a couple.

http://www.stuartklipper.com/

So you are not overly thrilled, then why point to his (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Klipper) work?

Klipper (http://www.stuartklipper.com/klipper_bio.pdf) lives a modest lifestyle and makes do with only his photography - he is not a professor nor does he have any supplemental income. We should be so successful.

Mark Sawyer
4-Oct-2018, 00:26
Everything is more artistic in a panoramic format...

scheinfluger_77
4-Oct-2018, 16:02
I think he’s done a good compositional job with the format. Some of those ho-hum’s might be knock outs in B&W.

Mark Sawyer
5-Oct-2018, 00:28
I think he’s done a good compositional job with the format. Some of those ho-hum’s might be knock outs in B&W.

Agreed. I know I'm too hopeful, but I hope for more than "a good compositional job with the format." But because I'm a contrarian and have to disagree on something, I find a yawner in color is still a yawner in black and white.

Steven Ruttenberg
11-Oct-2018, 10:30
So you are not overly thrilled, then why point to his (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Klipper) work?

Klipper (http://www.stuartklipper.com/klipper_bio.pdf) lives a modest lifestyle and makes do with only his photography - he is not a professor nor does he have any supplemental income. We should be so successful.

Because we can always learn something from somebodies work. Just because I am not overly thrilled doesn't mean I don't appreciate what he has done.

DrTang
11-Oct-2018, 11:03
I find the more stuff he puts in the frame..the less I like it

really like the wheat field/sky..or sea/sky ones

Jac@stafford.net
11-Oct-2018, 11:28
I find the more stuff he puts in the frame..the less I like it

really like the wheat field/sky..or sea/sky ones

Stuart had an exhibition in color at our local art museum (https://www.mmam.org/Visit/gclid/Cj0KCQjw6fvdBRCbARIsABGZ-vRn4ohzBbCLfOh5rltqITRHGdv91vrnvMa3YPhVYVCHxqRVOEgimgQaAhW_EALw_wcB) of mainly seas and skies taken during his many arctic/polar excursions. The prints were large, having an impressive presence. Many showed dark, cold, impenetrable atmosphere which were true to his experience. It was an informing and moving presentation.

h2oman
11-Oct-2018, 20:09
I'd really like to look carefully at his work, but I find the web page a challenge...

Bipin
20-Oct-2018, 08:11
Excellent work with a challenging format; I fell like he uses its relationship to the cinematic image intentionally, and does so well (e.g. with Cinemascope/Cinerama). I feel drawn into many of his compositions more than I do with other panoramas. the side scrolling on his website is a bit... sadistic... though. :p I want to view his work, but he makes me suffer for it!

Jac@stafford.net
20-Oct-2018, 12:25
Excellent work with a challenging format; [...] the side scrolling on his website is a bit... sadistic... though. :p I want to view his work, but he makes me suffer for it!

Stuart is acutely aware of his decisions regarding display, and choice of aspect ratio, so I dive into his work to learn regardless of my previous expectations. That's just me. He is a kind and humble person. No sadism.

Bipin
20-Oct-2018, 13:30
Haha, I only kid! Regardless of presentation, his work has really struck a chord with me, and it did so immediately. I can't say that often happens when I look at new work. Bravo!

Steven Ruttenberg
21-Oct-2018, 01:02
His website is awkward. I like panaramas, some of what he did is good and I will learn and take notes as I review his work to see if I can use in my work.

Tin Can
21-Oct-2018, 04:36
Stuart is acutely aware of his decisions regarding display, and choice of aspect ratio, so I dive into his work to learn regardless of my previous expectations. That's just me. He is a kind and humble person. No sadism.

His website works well on an actual computer monitor the bigger the better. I use a 4K 50” screen for his type of site.

On this iPhone SE it looks terrible. I can’t see shite.

Steven Ruttenberg
21-Oct-2018, 09:20
50 inch huh, maybe I should go 75in. Lol. That is a big monitor, who makes it?

Tin Can
21-Oct-2018, 09:39
Nuybuts an iphone ��. 50 inch huh, maybe I should go 75in. Lol. That is a big monitor, who makes it?

A normal 24" monitor but can switch to a rolling 50" 4K TV for use in my lighting studio with tethered DSLR. Handy for many things. 75" is hard to move.

I also use a wall projector while perusing B&W stills from Flickr. That's fascinating, lower rez, some argue we can't resolve 4K. Handheld gaming keyboards are useful for more than games.

Steven Ruttenberg
21-Oct-2018, 12:10
A normal 24" monitor but can switch to a rolling 50" 4K TV for use in my lighting studio with tethered DSLR. Handy for many things. 75" is hard to move.

I also use a wall projector while perusing B&W stills from Flickr. That's fascinating, lower rez, some argue we can't resolve 4K. Handheld gaming keyboards are useful for more than games.

Cool.

h2oman
23-Oct-2018, 12:21
I think that the point here is that a better designed web page would allow much greater appreciation of his work. The scrolling is a pain for those of us who do not have enormous monitors, photographs sorted by subject would be nice, etc. I like his work, but a person who is an artist should have a web page that is also artistic! The sadism is not in his work, but its presentation!

Tin Can
23-Oct-2018, 12:57
Baloney, you are projecting.

Maybe the medium is the message.

I think that the point here is that a better designed web page would allow much greater appreciation of his work. The scrolling is a pain for those of us who do not have enormous monitors, photographs sorted by subject would be nice, etc. I like his work, but a person who is an artist should have a web page that is also artistic! The sadism is not in his work, but its presentation!

Chester McCheeserton
23-Oct-2018, 15:30
I'm looking at his website on a 13 inch laptop and it seems just fine to me. The guy's work is legit and he's being doing it for a really long time.
You could quibble with the way it's edited and sequenced but I like the direct simplicity. Schneider's gas station about 2/3 of the way in is hilarious.

Jac@stafford.net
24-Oct-2018, 12:49
I just received a color print from Stuart Klipper as a sympathy card for my next-younger brother's sudden death last week. I have to guess it is an image of the sky of deep dark clouds from one of his many arctic expeditions, expansive, somber. Stuart's photographic language at its best.

Gregory Stafford, RIP

Steven Ruttenberg
24-Oct-2018, 13:37
Sorry to hear of your loss, prayers to you and yours.

h2oman
24-Oct-2018, 19:34
Baloney, you are projecting.

Maybe the medium is the message.

You are right, and I'm over it now. :cool: I've ordered his Antarctica book so I can enjoy his work without dealing with computers anyway!