PDA

View Full Version : Pinholes on TMax 400

Gordon Lucas
29-Sep-2018, 15:58
We all get pinholes on our LF negs on occasion, but I'm getting many more on TMax 400 in both 4x5 and 5x7 than in the other films I use, mostly Foma 400, HP5+ and Foma 100. (I don't have the problem, incidentally, with TMax 400 in 35mm, oddly enough)

I use the same developers, chemicals, same tap water and same procedures on all of these films (Pyrocat HD, Rodinal, Ilford Hypam fix). Tap water is hard, but I've used distilled with the same effect.

Is there something about TMax 400 I don't know about?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jac@stafford.net
29-Sep-2018, 16:41
Just to put one issue aside - what dilution do you use for stop bath?
For the record it might help to post its expiry date and emulsion (emul) number.

Since these defects occur with sheet film, they could also be minute dust spots.

Gordon Lucas
29-Sep-2018, 17:39
Just to put one issue aside - what dilution do you use for stop bath?
For the record it might help to post its expiry date and emulsion (emul) number.

Since these defects occur with sheet film, they could also be minute dust spots.

I don't use stop bath . . . just plain water. I don't think I'm dealing with dust but I'll check them out . . . . this also happens when I'm doing several sheets in my 4x5 tank that are different emulsions. Tmax 400 and Foma 400 have just about the same developing time in Pyrocat so I often soup them together. Same thing . . . Tmax has pinholes and Foma usually doesn't.

Jac@stafford.net
29-Sep-2018, 18:59
I don't use stop bath . . . just plain water. I don't think I'm dealing with dust but I'll check them out . . . . this also happens when I'm doing several sheets in my 4x5 tank that are different emulsions. Tmax 400 and Foma 400 have just about the same developing time in Pyrocat so I often soup them together. Same thing . . . Tmax has pinholes and Foma usually doesn't.

Defective Tmax is my bet. Long expired, defective batch.

Gordon Lucas
29-Sep-2018, 23:11
Unfortunately not. New and fresh. :(

interneg
29-Sep-2018, 23:34
Quite likely dust from poor handling procedures in loading or unloading - possibly a static charge is being caused. Or something in the Pyrocat is crystallising out of solution & sticking to the film.

Extremely unlikely to be pinholes. Almost always dust or dirt from user handling. You should always use a stopbath & ignore the voluminous mound of nonsense on the web about them.

Bill Burk
30-Sep-2018, 11:36
I certainly get more dust on TMY2 when I fail to vacuum clean my Grafmatics and camera interior.

And as a corrolary I get clean negatives when I do both.

Also get more dust when the dark slide is open as I carry the camera around (like if I change my mind about taking a shot and move about with the film free for dust to land on it).

Pere Casals
30-Sep-2018, 11:52
It would be useful if you could post a very enlarged image crop of the spots...

Gordon Lucas
30-Sep-2018, 22:41
Okay . . . I'll clean and vacuum my holders thoroughly and try again. :D

Pere Casals
30-Sep-2018, 23:39
Just take a cheap x40 loupe and inspect the spots. Dust has very recognizable footprints, it's the way to know it for sure.

Steven Ruttenberg
1-Oct-2018, 17:22
Even digital sensors have that issue with dust. Could try to discharge the static electricity prior to exposure and or gently tap the film holder. If I walk around with a holder in camera, I put the dark slide back in. Luckily so far, I have not had any major issues with dust, pin holes, etc.

Gordon Lucas
1-Oct-2018, 17:30
Just take a cheap x40 loupe and inspect the spots. Dust has very recognizable footprints, it's the way to know it for sure.

Thank you. I will do that.