PDA

View Full Version : Intrepid - Communication & Delivery

neildw
27-Sep-2018, 00:49
Hi all,

Are there people here who bought a Intrepid camera? What was your experience with the firm?
Because I bought a 4 x 5 and they send it to me, but it could not be delivered. Honostly it was partially my fault because the adress I gave up was not 100% correct.
But they send it back to Intrepid.

After, Intrepid send me a mail on the 3th september telling it got send back and they would get it back to me on that day (offering it to the mail).
It's now the end of September but havent seen any camera. I have tried to mail them but I get no replies at all.

In the first communication asking if they have a tracking code, the say they do not offer this. But with such a package it is hardly unbelievable not to let it be tracked, right?

Marky
27-Sep-2018, 05:21
They only have like 8 people total and basically 1 (maybe 2) on customer communications. What I've found is they will reply to you but not promptly. However, they try to do their best to do right by you. Given that they're gearing up for another kickstarter, I have no doubt if everything else will slow down for the time being.

Give them a call or another email, they will get back to you eventually.

Alan9940
27-Sep-2018, 06:31
They are a very small company and, IMO, not well organized at all. But, they will do right by you. Keep trying to contact them—calling may be best.

kenj8246
28-Sep-2018, 06:13
I'm waiting for the Intrepid 8X10 now. In all honesty, I'd have to say it's completely your fault, given that you provided an address that was 'not 100% correct'. What did you expect them to do? As has been already said, keep trying to contact them with a good address.

paulbarden
28-Sep-2018, 20:44
On May 15th I placed an order for the 8x10 Intrepid. At the time of ordering the web site said it was an 8 week lead time to shipping. I’ve emailed twice to ask for an ETA and told both times “very soon”. I’m still waiting, and it’s almost October.

I understand it’s a small workshop with only a handful of people doing the work, but I am NOT a fan of the “overpromise and underdeliver” model of doing business. I’m very disappointed.

Robert Brazile
5-Oct-2018, 06:05
Like others, I've found them to be a bit understaffed and have to scramble from time to time, but that they deliver in the end. It took a bit of back and forth, but they sorted out an issue with my first 4x5 to my complete satisfaction, and I've been happy with the 8x10 as well. I expect they are thrashing a bit around the new Kickstarter offering (Graflarger-like enlarger accessory for the 4x5 + timer) and will settle down again shortly. Hope you all get your goods soon.

Robert

paulbarden
5-Oct-2018, 07:50
Like others, I've found them to be a bit understaffed and have to scramble from time to time, but that they deliver in the end. It took a bit of back and forth, but they sorted out an issue with my first 4x5 to my complete satisfaction, and I've been happy with the 8x10 as well. I expect they are thrashing a bit around the new Kickstarter offering (Graflarger-like enlarger accessory for the 4x5 + timer) and will settle down again shortly. Hope you all get your goods soon.

Robert

It seems to me that if Intrepid wants to build a positive reputation, they should focus more on meeting their promised delivery deadlines and less on creating new products for Kickstarter. I’ve yet again been told my camera will ship “next week” after being told to expect delivery by early August at the latest. This is not the way to generate a good reputation.

Max Grew
5-Oct-2018, 12:59
It seems to me that if Intrepid wants to build a positive reputation, they should focus more on meeting their promised delivery deadlines and less on creating new products for Kickstarter. I’ve yet again been told my camera will ship “next week” after being told to expect delivery by early August at the latest. This is not the way to generate a good reputation.

Hi Paul, sorry about the delay with your camera, I think Naomi emailed you today to say it will be shipping next week, to be more specific it will be shipping on Monday. Myself or Naomi will email over a tracking number once its gone out, usually take 3 days for the US so should be in your hands Thursday. Sorry again about the delay!

Luis-F-S
5-Oct-2018, 13:03
Hi Paul, sorry about the delay with your camera, I think Naomi emailed you today to say it will be shipping next week, to be more specific it will be shipping on Monday. Myself or Naomi will email over a tracking number once its gone out, usually take 3 days for the US so should be in your hands Thursday. Sorry again about the delay!

Sounds like a pretty good follow-up to me. How many folks here paid for and are still waiting for their big D to show up?

kenj8246
5-Oct-2018, 13:59
Sounds like a pretty good follow-up to me. How many folks here paid for and are still waiting for their big D to show up?

Hello fellow Louisianian(I'm originally from Lecompte, just south of Alexandria). Well, I'm waiting but probably not as anxiously as some. For my part, I'm gonna give them some time. Hard to do all they're attempting with no more folks than the seem to have. And, besides, I can shoot 4X5 while I'm waiting. :)

Kenny

paulbarden
5-Oct-2018, 14:16
Hello fellow Louisianian(I'm originally from Lecompte, just south of Alexandria). Well, I'm waiting but probably not as anxiously as some. For my part, I'm gonna give them some time. Hard to do all they're attempting with no more folks than the seem to have. And, besides, I can shoot 4X5 while I'm waiting. :)

Kenny

I'm willing to be patient, but when I'm told to expect deliver in 8-10 weeks and it turns into four months, my patience runs out. My goal was to use it for a specific project in the second half of the summer, but that opportunity has been lost now. If I had known this was to be the outcome, I would have spent the money on some beater of a Kodak.

Thanks Max. I just wish you folks were better about communicating than you have been.

Michael Kadillak
5-Oct-2018, 14:58

Kenny

Great attitude Kenny. Patience is a great attribute and it particularly comes in handy in the field making photographs when you are not willing to trip the shutter until the light is just right. One of the reasons that it is good to be in the field by yourself.

Michael Kadillak
28-Oct-2018, 12:07
Great attitude Kenny. Patience is a great attribute and it particularly comes in handy in the field making photographs when you are not willing to trip the shutter until the light is just right. One of the reasons that it is good to be in the field by yourself.

Ordered my 8x10 Intrepid last week. I have zero expectations on delivery. When it does get here I will put it in service.

kenj8246
28-Oct-2018, 17:17
Good on ya, Michael!! I ordered 8/8/2018. No news yet.

Michael Kadillak
28-Oct-2018, 19:51
Good on ya, Michael!! I ordered 8/8/2018. No news yet.

In life and business I commend and do all I can to support entrepreneurial individuals that put their vision on the line in actions and in business commerce. The fact that these risk takers are in fact large format promoters makes this a no brainer. Do they have their time lines perfectly conjoined to live up to delivery times. No. Do they have a product perfectly designed and produced to meet all of the needs of a consumer group in LF? No. Gut check. These guys are doing it on the low costs design plan to make it tremendously affordable to the consumers to want to go down this road and I applaud that mentality. Fact. If I wanted a precision instrument I could order a Canham, a Chaminoux or another current option but the price would be 5-7Xin price. But when I am willing to give up some amenities for a low price point in the interest of low weight to pack LF, that resonates with me. Should I need to tweek the camera to get it to operating standards for me? Maybe. That is a risk I am ready willing and able to accept. If I can get the camera to focus and tilt and lock down, I will be good to go. When you look at a well executed print, rarely does the viewer care what camera, lens, film. developer or printing paper made the image. It is immaterial to the visual result.

Alan9940
28-Oct-2018, 20:45
Hmm, well, I ordered a lensboard for my 8x10 two weeks ago and have been told twice that "it should ship tomorrow." To date, I've not received any message that it has shipped! ONE lensboard...ONE!! If they can't process a simple order like this in a timely fashion, I truly feel for all of you waiting on cameras. Can you imagine the extended shipping delays once their enlarger Kickstarter ends? Kind of reminds me of waiting a YEAR to get my Kickstarter 8x10.

Bob Salomon
29-Oct-2018, 03:58
“When you look at a well executed print, rarely does the viewer care what camera, lens, film. developer or printing paper made the image. It is immaterial to the visual result.”

Unless you are an Adams want to be, or a Weston or any other famous photographer!

I spent a year doing over 20 Monte Zucker seminars as he used our equipment. His thing was doing beautiful portraits with one light and a reflector.

One day he was posing a bride and groom. He had them both seated, the groom slightly behind the bride. He was unhappy with the groom’s height. So he had him sit on a telephone book. Raised him up just the right amount!

From the audience someone was frantically waving his hand and wanted to know “which city’s phone book” was he using!

Another seminar he mentioned how he and his assistant, Clay Blackmore, would use a ladder at receptions for overall room shots and groups shots and dance shots. Again the waving hand wanting to know what brand ladder!

As I was with Rollei at the time and Monte and Clay used Rollei 2 ¼ and Rollei studio lights and Rollei studio stands this attitude helped us a great deal to sell Rollei!

Michael Kadillak
29-Oct-2018, 09:14
Hmm, well, I ordered a lensboard for my 8x10 two weeks ago and have been told twice that "it should ship tomorrow." To date, I've not received any message that it has shipped! ONE lensboard...ONE!! If they can't process a simple order like this in a timely fashion, I truly feel for all of you waiting on cameras. Can you imagine the extended shipping delays once their enlarger Kickstarter ends? Kind of reminds me of waiting a YEAR to get my Kickstarter 8x10.

Make the lens board yourself and curb your frustration. My friend Michael Roberts makes literally everything he needs photographically speaking himself and there are many around on this forum like him. I will consult his experience when I need a lens board extension for my 600C Fuji on the Intrepid when it eventually shows up.

paulbarden
29-Oct-2018, 11:49
I bought one of the Intrepid lens boards and what I received was so badly warped that when I did finally persuade it onto the front standard, it leaked copious amounts of light. I was able to flatten it somewhat by heating it with a paint stripper gun and pressing it under a stack of books. Not impressed.

Max Grew
29-Oct-2018, 12:57
I bought one of the Intrepid lens boards and what I received was so badly warped that when I did finally persuade it onto the front standard, it leaked copious amounts of light. I was able to flatten it somewhat by heating it with a paint stripper gun and pressing it under a stack of books. Not impressed.

Hi Paul, really sorry about that! I can only assume it got hot on its way to you, we have changed the material the boards are made of now to prevent this from happening again. I'm not in the workshop so don't know if you already have, but if you send an email to hello@theintrepidcamera.co.uk Naomi will be able to sort you out with a refund. Let me know if you have any questions, Best, Max

Bob Salomon
29-Oct-2018, 13:10
Hi Paul, really sorry about that! I can only assume it got hot on its way to you, we have changed the material the boards are made of now to prevent this from happening again. I'm not in the workshop so don't know if you already have, but if you send an email to hello@theintrepidcamera.co.uk Naomi will be able to sort you out with a refund. Let me know if you have any questions, Best, Max

Wouldn’t a replacement be more effective then a refund, if he desires one?

paulbarden
29-Oct-2018, 13:28

Thanks Max. Yes, I have conversed with Naomi about the problem and she has promised to address the matter. Thanks.

Kevin J. Kolosky
30-Oct-2018, 09:24
“When you look at a well executed print, rarely does the viewer care what camera, lens, film. developer or printing paper made the image. It is immaterial to the visual result.”

Unless you are an Adams want to be, or a Weston or any other famous photographer!

I spent a year doing over 20 Monte Zucker seminars as he used our equipment. His thing was doing beautiful portraits with one light and a reflector.

One day he was posing a bride and groom. He had them both seated, the groom slightly behind the bride. He was unhappy with the groom’s height. So he had him sit on a telephone book. Raised him up just the right amount!

From the audience someone was frantically waving his hand and wanted to know “which city’s phone book” was he using!

Another seminar he mentioned how he and his assistant, Clay Blackmore, would use a ladder at receptions for overall room shots and groups shots and dance shots. Again the waving hand wanting to know what brand ladder!

As I was with Rollei at the time and Monte and Clay used Rollei 2 ¼ and Rollei studio lights and Rollei studio stands this attitude helped us a great deal to sell Rollei!

I think Monte used equipment from whomever paid him to use it. I saw him a number of times with Hasselblad and Photogenic.

Bob Salomon
30-Oct-2018, 09:49
I think Monte used equipment from whomever paid him to use it. I saw him a number of times with Hasselblad and Photogenic.

We never paid or gave him his cameras from Rollei. He bought them with his money, even when he had a booth at a hotel in Las Vegas that had a flood during the night that ruined all of his cameras he bought two complete Rollei 6000 systems from me the next day for cash. The only incentive that I gave him was the pen that I used to write up the order!

Yes, we supported him with physical support at his seminars, but we did not give or loan him the cameras or flash that he used there. They were his. All I did was bring demo samples for attendees to handle.

Whatever Hasselblad or others did for him was their business. Not ours!

We also supported other speakers like Tiber Horvath the same way.

And no, we did not supply any of them with their Imagon lenses!

Nor did we give or directly sell Linhof to John Sexton or Bruce Barnham or Mary Ellen Mark or any of the others.

Our view was that we would freely offer support or technical support to our users but just like a carpenter buys his own tools we expected photographers to buy theirs.

John Sexton, shortly after Kenny Rogers sold his GA ranch, called me and asked if I could give Rogers, who was John’s student, a deal on a new Folding Focusing Hood for Kenny’s very out of date a Technika. I wouldn’t, but did arrange for him to buy a new hood or, better yet, a newer camera.

You would have gotten the same support from us that Monte got!

BTW, some seminars that Monte, and others did, were sponsored by companies like Hasselblad or Photogenic and he did use their equipment at those seminars, they also paid for his time and travel expenses.

We never did that.

kenj8246
31-Oct-2018, 09:10
Well, color me happy! Just got word that my 8X10 has shipped. Thank you Max and company, I am stoked!!

zlevinson
6-Nov-2018, 09:52
Just thought I'd add my experience ordering from Intrepid. I ordered a 4x5 on Sunday, September 23 with a noted lead time of 6 weeks. Exactly 6 weeks later, yesterday, November 5th, I got word that my camera had shipped. I know they were struggling to keep up for a while, but it seems like they are meeting their promised lead time at this point.

paulbarden
6-Nov-2018, 10:36
Well, color me happy! Just got word that my 8X10 has shipped. Thank you Max and company, I am stoked!!

I'm curious, have you received your camera yet?

kenj8246
6-Nov-2018, 14:25
I'm curious, have you received your camera yet?

Yes, it arrived yesterday. The only snag--and it's somewhat my fault--is that I didn't get the large lensboard with adapter to accept smaller Technika boards. My original order was for a small board with Copal 3 hole and that's what I received. A day after ordering, I emailed and asked to have the board swapped for the larger on and was told it'd be handled at shipping. I called Naomi and she said they would send me the larger board. I'm going to add a fresnel (old eyes) lens before using it. I've been spoiled by using a reflex viewer on my Chamonix 4X5. :)

Horseman
6-Nov-2018, 15:44
I have had recently a MK3 4 x 5 delivered and love it. I agree that their info to customers , "could be improved" but , I am amazed that a small company making NEW large format cameras with good quality results doesn't get the full support of a community like this. Surely we want LF to be in the future and supporting a company like intrepid can only help to achieve this? More cameras out there , more film requirement , more film!!!

I did get frustrated at the slow comms and lack of accurate shipping date but when they tell you " sorry we had a load more orders, the highest ever the month before you ordered, you know what? ... I'll wait.

Do I want to pay more so they can give me better info ? No .

Am I going to get the 8 x 10 ....yes probably. ( although this is a big step up in film cost and development )

The only thing I would suggest to them is to weekly/ bi weekly update the expected wait time based on orders received....so that expectations are set...I ordered when it was 6 weeks .....but orders in July were the highest ever and it was more like 10 weeks... people are going to but these cameras as they are good. one other suggestion is " fasttrack your order for £50 and get it in 4 weeks " or some such deal but ultimately the camera is very good and is worth the wait.

When the camera arrived ...... I love it !!

Good luck Intrepid !!!!

Satisfied customer UK

awa1l
6-Nov-2018, 22:24
Horseman, I feel the same way and sounds like I had a similar experience. When I ordered in late June, I saw that there was a 6 week lead time (It still says the same but I discovered much later in the FAQ section that the lead time there says 6-12 weeks). I messaged after ~8 weeks and had a response that they had a large number of orders at the same time camera would be shipping within a few days. It wasn't until 12 weeks that I sent another message and got a similar response. This time however it shipped after about a week as they said it would.

My main issue was not the wait, I was fully ready to wait given the product and pricepoint, but when you are told a date and that date isn't even close then it becomes frustrating. If I had been given 12 or even 14 weeks from the beginning then I would have no issues as I knew the conditions when purchasing. Like you said, if they updated lead times then I think it would be much less frustrating for all. It's good to hear that they are now meeting their estimated lead times.

So far though the camera is great and it has everything I need at this point. I do have one issue, albeit quite minor at this stage. The dual knobs for rise and tilt are an excellent idea, unfortunately one of my tilt knobs does not clamp down properly and slips whenever it begins to tighten up and can turn forever. Maybe it has threaded the bolt, but it is how it was when it arrived so I'm not sure? Has anyone else had this happen?

Alan9940
7-Nov-2018, 08:27
I'm sorry to say that my experience with Intrepid has been nothing but poor. I waited nearly a year to get my Kickstarter 8x10--there were multiple delays in shippng--and a few weeks ago I needed a lensboard for a new lens I bought; ordered it and, to date, have not received it. I've sent multiple e-mails to which they've responded to exactly two and, most recently, they said another one would be going out today. Well...today is over for them and I've not received any shipped notification. This is a simple lensboard!!

I sure wish the Intrepid folks all the best with their business, but I can assure you that I'm one customer who will not deal with them, again.

OlTomTardis
7-Nov-2018, 11:04
So far though the camera is great and it has everything I need at this point. I do have one issue, albeit quite minor at this stage. The dual knobs for rise and tilt are an excellent idea, unfortunately one of my tilt knobs does not clamp down properly and slips whenever it begins to tighten up and can turn forever. Maybe it has threaded the bolt, but it is how it was when it arrived so I'm not sure? Has anyone else had this happen?

I ordered mine at about the same time and have the same issue on both tilt knobs. I've been able to work with it most of the time, but with my largest lens it can be an issue. I've emailed them asking about a fix this morning and hopefully it's something easy. Otherwise I'll have to modify it myself, which is not something I really want to do...

Roger Thoms
7-Nov-2018, 21:44
I'm sorry to say that my experience with Intrepid has been nothing but poor. I waited nearly a year to get my Kickstarter 8x10--there were multiple delays in shippng--and a few weeks ago I needed a lensboard for a new lens I bought; ordered it and, to date, have not received it. I've sent multiple e-mails to which they've responded to exactly two and, most recently, they said another one would be going out today. Well...today is over for them and I've not received any shipped notification. This is a simple lensboard!!

I sure wish the Intrepid folks all the best with their business, but I can assure you that I'm one customer who will not deal with them, again.

Checked the specs, states that the 8x10 camera is Sinar lens board compatible. Sinar boards are readily available on the used market and can be found reasonably priced. I'd give a Sinar board a shot.

Roger

Max Grew
8-Nov-2018, 03:52

Hello Alan, very sorry the lens board got lost in the post, we did ship you a new one as soon as you let us know it was missing and that board should be with you soon. I just looked at the emails and someone has responded to all of the several emails we got from you, sorry if we missed any though. I appreciate communication from Intrepid has been poor in the past, particularly when we were swamped with the 8x10 work and I am sorry about that! If you have any other questions please feel free to email or give us a call.

Best, Max

Lelo
8-Nov-2018, 20:05
I ordered my 4x5 in mid August with the 6 week lead time mentioned on their website. I was notified of its shipment after 10 weeks (29 Oct). Still not here yet, 6 weeks is still mentioned as the lead time on their website and - most amazing of all - no tracking number.

paulbarden
9-Nov-2018, 09:07
I ordered my 4x5 in mid August with the 6 week lead time mentioned on their website. I was notified of its shipment after 10 weeks (29 Oct). Still not here yet, 6 weeks is still mentioned as the lead time on their website and - most amazing of all - no tracking number.

I ordered an 8X10 in May and it was shipped in October. I was told there would be a tracking number emailed when it shipped, by that did not happen. Intrepid really ought to find a way to communicate better. It would be ideal if they had a customer log-in that allows the customer to view order status, etc.

awa1l
10-Nov-2018, 04:24
I ordered mine at about the same time and have the same issue on both tilt knobs. I've been able to work with it most of the time, but with my largest lens it can be an issue. I've emailed them asking about a fix this morning and hopefully it's something easy. Otherwise I'll have to modify it myself, which is not something I really want to do...

Any word on a fix for the tilt knob?

Lelo
10-Nov-2018, 17:03
Received my 4x5 today - looks great.

OlTomTardis
11-Nov-2018, 11:35
Any word on a fix for the tilt knob?

Not a peep out of them. I'm going to keep at them because that may be even more annoying than the tilt knob. In the meantime I guess I'll have to try to figure something out myself

shoshin
29-Apr-2019, 14:01
2019 - still the same...

Kiwi7475
29-Apr-2019, 14:45
Apologies upfront, but I am going to be that guy and say that you get what you pay for. Yes it’s cheap and a good introduction to LF for someone starting up, but soon you realize that you should have saved up for a better, higher quality product.
I can say that because I have one and outgrow it quickly.
Some say they get it because it’s very light, but honestly compared to other wood field cameras the difference is like a lens or a couple of holders more or less.

RenoAmiens
30-Apr-2019, 02:24
Ordered an intrepid 4x5 mark4 today :)
let'wait...

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
30-Apr-2019, 04:11
Apologies upfront, but I am going to be that guy and say that you get what you pay for.

Nay.

250 £ is a lot of money. even if a Technika costs 9000 $.

But building cameras is not rocket science.

E.g. we don't need a rotating back. Less is more.

Using proper materials doesn't cost that much. Using knurled screws and other components made of metal (instead of 3D printed plastic) is not that expensive.

Also, it is not expensive to avoid promises of delivery, to communicate or to charge the rest of the money not before delivery etc. This would reduce lead times and make waiting more sufferable.

I can't imagine that a modular bellows that is interchangeable, at least with some screws, could be expensive.

Also, it is not expensive to standardize the dimensions of the bellows so that we could change it ourselves. Or the dimensions and the mount of the back, so that we could use our old Sinar or Cambo backs with the camera.

All in all, it is not expensive to build something that lasts a few years. Simplicity and durability is not expensive.

Imho, the Intrepid is made for obsolescence. Every year a new model. After five years you have spent what you normally pay for a pre-owned Technika or a new Chamonix etc. Photographing with Intrepids during five years is expensive.

Regards

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
30-Apr-2019, 04:13
2019 - still the same...

Außer Spesen nichts gewesen.

Tin Can
30-Apr-2019, 05:21
Außer Spesen nichts gewesen.

Except expenses have been nothing

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
30-Apr-2019, 05:24
Except expenses have been nothing

No joy.

Kiwi7475
30-Apr-2019, 07:52
Nay.

250 £ is a lot of money. even if a Technika costs 9000 $.

But building cameras is not rocket science.

E.g. we don't need a rotating back. Less is more.

Using proper materials doesn't cost that much. Using knurled screws and other components made of metal (instead of 3D printed plastic) is not that expensive.

Also, it is not expensive to avoid promises of delivery, to communicate or to charge the rest of the money not before delivery etc. This would reduce lead times and make waiting more sufferable.

I can't imagine that a modular bellows that is interchangeable, at least with some screws, could be expensive.

Also, it is not expensive to standardize the dimensions of the bellows so that we could change it ourselves. Or the dimensions and the mount of the back, so that we could use our old Sinar or Cambo backs with the camera.

All in all, it is not expensive to build something that lasts a few years. Simplicity and durability is not expensive.

Imho, the Intrepid is made for obsolescence. Every year a new model. After five years you have spent what you normally pay for a pre-owned Technika or a new Chamonix etc. Photographing with Intrepids during five years is expensive.

Regards

I don’t disagree. What I meant is that it’s role is to provide a low-barrier entry into LF for new users that are really unsure whether they’ll use it or stick to this. For those that never end up really getting into it and growing or just use it really in a blue moon with no pretensions of upgrading, it might be cheap. I agree they seem to follow the Apple model with change after change. I am honestly surprised they can survive when it takes so long to get the item and with little support/communication with their clients, and also given that it’s not made for the long run.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
30-Apr-2019, 11:44
What I meant is that it’s role is to provide a low-barrier entry into LF for new users that are really unsure whether they’ll use it or stick to this. [...] I am honestly surprised they can survive when it takes so long to get the item and with little support/communication with their clients, and also given that it’s not made for the long run.

I agree completely, and of course it is very good that there is and remains an existent market for sheet films etc.

I hereby solemnly declare: if there is somebody reading these words and interested in trying out large format: there are a lot of pre-owned Koronas, FEDs, Nagaokas, Tachiharas, Istons, Wistas, Toyos, Cambos, Calumets, Linhofs, Sinars, Graflexes, Proximas, Standards 4x5 ... - for under 500 $ out there for anyone who needs one, for everybody who wants to resell his camera without financial loss and for all who want to keep these cameras the next 20 years without buying anything else.

Concerning your surprise: their customer relation management is lousy, obviously, but: apparently there is quite a lot of people - a sufficient mass - out there that is interested in the large format process.

Tschau zäme

Corran
30-Apr-2019, 11:57
I recently saw a large number of LF images posted by Intrepid from users of their cameras. None of them had I seen here, on other forums, on Facebook groups, or elsewhere. I don't doubt that Intrepid's communication and delivery times could be improved, but it seems like they have the classic problem of a "silent majority" being perfectly happy with the camera and using it just fine, while the vocal minority complain about the (justified) problems, giving a skewed view of the number of issues in manufacture.

So I could be wrong, but it seems there's a huge number of happy Intrepid users. I almost bought one again recently when I saw a screaming deal on a used camera, but I hesitated and it was gone. If I hadn't already owned a Chamonix for years before the Intrepid appeared, I would probably have bought one. So I have no direct experience, but I sure am seeing a lot of fine photos made with the Intrepid both from well-established LF photographers and not.

Alan9940
30-Apr-2019, 12:14
So I could be wrong, but it seems there's a huge number of happy Intrepid users. I almost bought one again recently when I saw a screaming deal on a used camera, but I hesitated and it was gone. If I hadn't already owned a Chamonix for years before the Intrepid appeared, I would probably have bought one. So I have no direct experience, but I sure am seeing a lot of fine photos made with the Intrepid both from well-established LF photographers and not.

Well said, Bryan. I wouldn't presume to say I make fine photos with my Intrepid 8x10 Mk1, but it's perfectly fine camera for the money. The only thing I wish was different on my version of the 8x10 is the front standard struts; they are tapered from bottom to top making it impossible to simply line up the front standard for perfect vertical positioning. I use a small plastic triangle to ensure the front standard is square with the base. Minor nit-pick. This camera does EXACTLY what I wanted from it...that is, being in my late 60's it allows me to still hike some pretty fair distances from the car. The camera, 3 lenses, and dark cloth don't weigh as much as my 8x10 Deardorff alone!

pepeguitarra
30-Apr-2019, 12:29
I am one of the supporters of Intrepid and one of the most constructive critics too. I provide feed back on all the problems I have had (several of them mostly related to lack of quality control). I think they have a small force and younger kids that may not have the experience many old makers have. I support them because it is the only NEW effort to maintain film and LF alive. They have succeeded on getting a large number of youngster into LF. I supported knowing what I was going to get into. Honestly, I expected a lot worst (the first edition of the 4x5 was really crude, but it works). I saw the first edition of the 8x10 and was not happy, I could see it lacked some engineering. However, the second version of the 8x10 is a lot better and stable. I got mine with several quality control problems (mostly gluing the bellows not really aligned, which includes a torque to maintain the front standard straight, but it works), other things I could easily fix with my small tools (after all, I am a wood worker), but those who dont have the woodworking experience are in trouble. The intrepid is just one of the cameras I have in my arsenal, although, they are the ones I use when I have to walk long ways, or go places and have to pack them with my luggage. They do the job.

aaronnate
30-Apr-2019, 13:07
I seriously considered an intrepid camera but dropped the idea because of this problem: long than necessary wait times, quality control issues, etc. But I have a question, are these problems because of the crowdfunding mentality---get an idea, make the item, get people worked up over your new product and when you get the funding then, and only then, think about the business plan and logistics or just the way small businesses expect to run these days?

I run a business. You can be certain that I would not still be in business if I ran it this way. Before you say this is not their day job, neither is the business I run.

Kiwi7475
30-Apr-2019, 13:43
I seriously considered an intrepid camera but dropped the idea because of this problem: long than necessary wait times, quality control issues, etc. But I have a question, are these problems because of the crowdfunding mentality---get an idea, make the item, get people worked up over your new product and when you get the funding then, and only then, think about the business plan and logistics or just the way small businesses expect to run these days?

I run a business. You can be certain that I would not still be in business if I ran it this way. Before you say this is not their day job, neither is the business I run.

I think part of the answer is that somehow they fit a niche position because of the price point for a new item, in combination with something that seems to be like a small resurgence of LF. I am thinking this is true because if you look on eBay the prices of “basic” lenses (lenses that would nominally be your normal or first lens) has been steadily increasing and the market is not small. Therefore there must be an steady stream of newcomers into LF happening. I don’t know whether it’s there to stay or if it’s a fad or whatever, but I think that’s why they’re in business. That and most reviews online are not bad or scary (there’s no reason they should be) other than the waiting time and slow response (ok, some QA issues which de facto you waive in your mind because of the price point). And so you can trade time for money (literally) and get on LF cheaply.
In other words it’s a solid Low Touch business model hinging on a perhaps a “retro” product that still interests some generations.

pepeguitarra
30-Apr-2019, 14:58
I think their expectation when running the first KickStarter project were exceeded so much, that they (meaning HE, Max) has not been able to handle the business part of the company. I would hire someone to manage the place if he choses to stay making the product, it is hard to do both, especially if you are not an experienced manager.

Bob Salomon
30-Apr-2019, 15:38
I think their expectation when running the first KickStarter project were exceeded so much, that they (meaning HE, Max) has not been able to handle the business part of the company. I would hire someone to manage the place if he choses to stay making the product, it is hard to do both, especially if you are not an experienced manager.

Or an experienced manufacturer!

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
30-Apr-2019, 23:59
I recently saw a large number of LF images posted by Intrepid from users of their cameras. None of them had I seen here, on other forums, on Facebook groups, or elsewhere. I don't doubt that Intrepid's communication and delivery times could be improved, but it seems like they have the classic problem of a "silent majority" being perfectly happy with the camera and using it just fine, while the vocal minority complain about the (justified) problems, giving a skewed view of the number of issues in manufacture.

Hello,

to imply, that there would be a "silent majority" that is satisfied only because you can count the opinions against the Intrepids, is - a classical fallacy.

Even if there are successful applications.

Perhaps successful applications were realized despite of problems with the camera? You have to ask whether successful photographers would buy the camera again.

It seems to me that there are more users complaining than praising.

BTW: De Gaulle mentioned the "silent majority" in 1968, when french citizens opposed the the government. One year later he resigned. Sarkozy is still searching this majority today.

Why could a "silent majority" be silent?

Perhaps people are ashamed because they think that the majority would be working successfully with the camera, given the few loud speaking influencers on Youtube who brought them close to the large format process?

Perhaps they think that spending too much time for such a thing would not be worth the effort, so they do not even complain about?

Perhaps people do not scan their ruined pictures and publish them in the web?

Perhaps they're frustrated and they have smashed the construction against a wall? Then there would be no evidence any more to publish in the web ...

Perhaps they have sent the camera back and now they are still waiting for MK4 - so it is too early to complain (why did Intrepid changed the design between MK3 and MK4 with "automatic upgrade", that means unsolicited upgrades for customers? Apparently they experienced that there were too much problems with MK3)?

Perhaps they only wanted to try and the saw that large format has a steep learning curve and now they are waiting until they have enough time to begin with the project etc etc

Postulating a "silent majority" is propaganda, imho. As long as somebody does not express himself, he is not existent in the vast variety of opinions.

Regards

Max Grew
1-May-2019, 01:12
Hello Everyone, thought I would chime in on this thread as there are a few points coming up that I would like to say something about.

"It's not their day jobs"

Firstly there seems to be a slight misunderstanding about the scale of Intrepid Camera and why we have lead times. This is the day job of all 10 of us, the company has grown considerably since it started in a garage in 2014. Whilst I (Max) am still managing the company over all, I have two very talented people below me managing production and communication. We have shipped over 4000 Cameras all around the world. The reason that we have a lead time is that even with 7 people working on production we can only just keep up with demand. In the last 4 months we have had orders for 470 Cameras and shipped even more. On average we meet the lead time for our 4x5 cameras and we are currently behind the lead time for 8x10s, for which I am very sorry to keep people waiting. We have been in touch with a lot of people who are waiting but if you didn't get an email from us please just quickly let us know (hello@theintrepidcamera.co.uk) so that we can update you.

"You could add this, this and this feature."

Unfortunately we can't design the perfect camera for everyone, we keep things simple, light weight and use high quality materials, the cameras are predominantly made from High Quality Birch Ply (not to be confused with Ply Wood you get in the USA) Aluminium and the latest cameras (https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/intrepid-camera) feature steel linear guides for focusing, something that you only get on much more expensive cameras. There is a good preview video of the new camera here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yLkKdhQNeI&t=8s)

"Issues with Quality Control"

This is a fair comment, we have had a few issues with some cameras. In the scale of how many Intrepid cameras we have shipped though, it is low. We are always happy to help out with any issues and will get you up and running as soon as possible. Our warranty on all cameras is very fair, if anything goes wrong with the camera, even if you drop it off a cliff we will fix it for free, we just ask you to cover postage if it was something that you broke yourself. Unfortunately this doesn't cover glass, but if you get in touch we can offer replacements.

Communication

In the past we have had some communication issues, this came from a lack of staff and very high demand. I would say that communication is now very good at Intrepid, if anyone has any recent issues with our communication please let me know so we can rectify it. The main email we get is about production updates, we are working on a part of the website where you will soon be able to track the production of your camera directly.

Releasing new models of the camera

Since Intrepid began we have released a new model of the 4x5 on average every 15 months, the 8x10 every 18 months. This is a fairly standard product cycle and the reason we do it is because the community, whom we are very involved with, send us a lot of feedback. Because we have our own factory and designers we can quickly implement this feedback into our cameras. It is a process very linked with customers and people tend to be very happy with it. We offer people free upgrades to new models, trade-ins and new upgraded components where we can. That being said, we have put a design freeze on the current cameras so that we can focus on production, the 4x5 MK4 and 8x10 MK2 are considerable upgrades and will be around for much longer than previous models.

"The Silent Majority"

This one is fairly easy to answer, they are not really very silent, they are just not on this forum. If you would like to see other peoples work with Intrepid Cameras I would recommend our Blog (https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/blog), whilst not everyone we feature uses an Intrepid Camera it is a great place to see what people in the community are up to, saying that though Jason Lee and Alec Soth both now have an Intrepid 4x5 and 8x10 respectively and I am looking forward to their feedback. The majority however are on Instagram, We regularly feature photographers and it is brilliant to see the wide range of work they are producing. There are hundreds of happy Intrepid Camera users on instagram, best place to find them is on our tagged photos or by searching #intrepidcamera our Instagram account is here (https://www.instagram.com/intrepidcamera/).

In Conclusion, yes we have made some mistakes in the past for which I am sorry, growing pains are standard and our growth has been fairly rapid. We are putting in a lot of work to grow large format and I hope you will be reassured that so many people are discovering it, even though I'm sure some of you will just be concerned about lens prices. If any of you ever find yourselves in Brighton please do come to the factory and I will put the kettle on.

Best, Max

Tin Can
1-May-2019, 01:32
Thank you!

munz6869
1-May-2019, 03:29
Just to be a positive counterpoint: I have a 4x5" mk1 and an 8x10" mk1 and they're both 'fine'! Not exactly my Wista, but that's not the point of them - I can make a super picture when my brain and the world gel appropriately, and they're as light as can be! No build issues other than I'd rather have mk4/2 but these have their clunky charm too...

Marc!

shoshin
1-May-2019, 05:27
Communication

In the past we have had some communication issues, this came from a lack of staff and very high demand. I would say that communication is now very good at Intrepid, if anyone has any recent issues with our communication please let me know so we can rectify it. The main email we get is about production updates, we are working on a part of the website where you will soon be able to track the production of your camera directly.

Dear Max,

what is you understanding of "in the past"? I have ordered my 8x10 on January 31th with "8 weeks lead time". Since then none of my mails has been answered. I don't even have any confirmation for my order, despite this mass mail from the beginning of april.

"Production is coming along really well now despite some manufacturing delays early on. Your camera will be shipping in the first batch towards the end of April so look out for the tracking number and dispatch email."

Well now it's may and there was no dispatch mail and no tracking number and no camera and no communication about this issue at all.

Max Grew
1-May-2019, 05:37
Dear Max,

what is you understanding of "past"? I have ordered my 8x10 on January 31th with "8 weeks lead time". Since then none of my mails has been answered. I don't even have any confirmation for my order, despite this mass mail from the beginning of april.

Well now it's may and there was no dispatch mail and no tracking number and no camera and no communication about this issue at all.

Hello, really sorry that no one has got back to you, what is your order number (Begins with R) I will find out what is going on

Best, Max

Corran
1-May-2019, 06:15
Hello,

to imply, that there would be a "silent majority" that is satisfied only because you can count the opinions against the Intrepids, is - a classical fallacy.

blah blah blah

Daniel,

It's a well-known fact that people will leave negative reviews online much more commonly than positive. That's just the way it is. And yes, as Max mentions, the majority of photographs I see from Intrepid users are on Instagram. Not surprising to me that they aren't here posting - us younger folks tend to just go and do and have no interest in folks telling them their camera is bad and they should've bought xyz and yada yada - which this forum seems to cater to these days.

Tin Can
1-May-2019, 06:34
We have members here that post very good videos on youtube and FakeBook/Instagram.

I pay for youtube premium as it has amazing content hidden in the morass. Such as the below.

I only discovered marcookie a LFPF member who uses an Intrepid 8X10 Ver 1 last night.

It sure looks like he could afford a far more expensive camera from his kit, but wants an Intrepid for lightweight and packability.

Watch this Intrepid video. (https://youtu.be/xk6Mb_0Hqfs)

Then watch all his videos and learn something.

awa1l
1-May-2019, 15:46
I purchased an 4x5 Mk 3 and I have to say that overall my experience has been good.

Originally the camera took a lot longer than the expected lead time stated, which was frustrating. I mentioned in an earlier comment that a little more notification would've been better in this regard, but their communication was good and when I emailed I did get a prompt response.

As far as the actual camera is concerned, for me as a first 4x5 camera it has been great. It just works well and the light weight and portability are excellent. Of course it's a little rough around the edges, but not to the detriment of any functionality. The only issue is with one of the tilt knobs. It doesn't fully tighten down and appeared to be stripped straight from the box. It hasn't affected me as I don't have any monster lenses and with it halfway screwed down and the other side tight there is zero movement. If it ever becomes an issue I will contact Intrepid as I'm sure it's an easy fix. Eventually I may also upgrade to the Mk 4 base, but currently the camera is fine as is.

If anyone is looking to purchase a first 4x5 I would certainly recommend the Intrepid based on my experience. While it's not perfect, it works well for me and enabled me to get a lightweight 4x5 without a huge investment. However, there are now other options in this price range, like the stenopeika hyper camera and the Chroma (although I'm not sure if it's for sale yet) which may also be worth a look.

rdeloe
1-May-2019, 15:59
I can understand why people who ordered one and haven't received it in a timely fashion, or who received one with problems, would grumble. However, I would like to add one thought to this conversation: large format photography desperately needs new blood. The only way you'll be able to buy the sheets of film you're going to need in 10 or 20 years is if lots of new -- young -- people take up large format photography. I have no skin in this game because I don't own an Intrepid and am not planning to buy one (in the near future anyway). But I am HUGELY grateful they exist simply because they're bringing in new blood.

One thing we have to keep in mind is that the cost of entry (in time and frustration mostly) can be really high. Yes, there are loads of old cameras around that can be purchased for about the same as an Intrepid, but they're all OLD, meaning gears are worn, bellows are cracked and leaky, knobs are stripped, parts are missing, grease is dried up, etc. You can get lucky and find a camera in mint condition that works perfectly, but that's a very rare beast. Buying an "EX++++" camera on eBay and discovering it's a junker is a huge turnoff for someone who already is facing a steep learning curve. Someone who is just starting out is more likely to stick with it if the camera is new and works out of the box. That's what the Intrepid is doing for us collectively (most of the time...)

From this perspective, I wish Max and the gang at Intrepid all the best and hope they're in business for a long, long time.

Peter De Smidt
1-May-2019, 17:43
I agree, and it's the main reason I bought one of their 8x10s.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
2-May-2019, 01:41
Daniel,

It's a well-known fact that people will leave negative reviews online much more commonly than positive. That's just the way it is. And yes, as Max mentions, the majority of photographs I see from Intrepid users are on Instagram. Not surprising to me that they aren't here posting - us younger folks tend to just go and do and have no interest in folks telling them their camera is bad and they should've bought xyz and yada yada - which this forum seems to cater to these days.

A nice try to tell us, that largeformatphotography.info/forum isn't dead but smells funny - whereas the authorities stay with Instagram now ... Some kind of bashing, of course. basing on just another myths: " people", "us younger folks", "no interest in folks telling ... they should've bought".

I do not recommend but warn about something.

Because if you pay 250 £ you can expect a functioning item that gives pleasure to you.

E.g. my alter ego recieved the MK4, Good things come to those who wait?

The rotating focusing knob was fallen down because it was glued on a knob base on the focusing rail. This happens if you fold the camera: the base of the front standard pushes backwards against the glued part of the knob. With the knob fully mounted you can't lay down the camera on the table without stressing the adhesive joint. There were no bolts in the prepared holes to transmit the energy of the circular motion of the glued knob into the circular motion of the knobs base that moves the focusing rail. There were only blank surfaces with residues of glue. If you turn the knob you risk to break it off. Be sure to have a very strong glue. Additionally you can prepare some bolts or replace the complete knob with one made of metal. If you own a workbench. In the meantime you can be afraid of losing the knob in the field. So you use another camera. Why did you spend 250 £ for a camera in which you don't trust?

We found the missing 3D plastic printed knob in the box. There we found a washer and a screw of the upper Graflock back clamp, too. The clamps of the Graflock back were loose. Apparently somebody mounted the springs of the ground glass holder, but omitted the screws under the spring. Of course the ground glass was loose, too - there will be malfocusing issues if she does not fix the grondglass holder with one hand. The groundglass itself was not fixed in the holder. Perhaps Intrepid thinks that folks will mount a fresnel. But you will have to bend the groundglass fixing clips. This can result in breaking them.

She tried to mount a lensplate. It does not wobble like the lensplates of the older versions. To be more precisely: the lensplate did not fit at all into the front standard. She had to file the wood. Sawdust in the bellows interior.

Then she tried to fix the rear standard because it was wobbly. She had to adjust the chromed screws on the sides of the rear standards. This does not work very well because the washers are made from rather soft plastic. And: rotating the back with a backwards tilted rear standard will result in stressing the rotation mechanism because the focusing knob gets in the way of the rotating back. This stresses the adhesive joint of the focusing knob on its base, again.

Last but not least we wondered about the brightness of the interior of the camera. The back of the front standard on the inside of the bellows is not black but bright, because one can see the bright wood of the standard. We had to tape it with adhesive textile tape.

And another point: the weight of the camera is not 1.1kg but 1.3kg.

Well, as others mentioned: if all the Youngster-Instagrammers buy sheet film, it's fine. Then we benefit from this. - Although the costs of film holders and standard lenses on Ebay increased ...

But the fact that somebody does not recommend a camera is not a reason to bash him.

shoshin
2-May-2019, 04:44
A nice try to tell us, that largeformatphotography.info/forum isn't dead but smells funny - whereas the authorities stay with Instagram now ... Some kind of bashing, of course. basing on just another myths: " people", "us younger folks", "no interest in folks telling ... they should've bought".

I think the main argument in his post was that the primary target audience of intrepidcameras are young photographers that prefer instagram. Thats not bashing, thats simply the truth.
And while I like this forum, I have also made the experience here and in other largeformatcommunities, that arrogance and edifying behaviour tend to become stronger with the size of the negatives used by SOME photographers.

And to come back to the topic of this thread: Thanks to max I now do have a tracking number for my 8x10 MKII, so it should be here next week. Than I will know if all those horror stories are true.

Tin Can
2-May-2019, 06:06
I can't wait, but I will, to see your new camera.

Always exciting!

I remember seeing a very nice V11 11X14 Deardorff Field camera up close. I took pics of it.

All cameras interesting.

It's the singularity effect...:)

I agree, and it's the main reason I bought one of their 8x10s.

Michael Kadillak
2-May-2019, 07:20
Hello, really sorry that no one has got back to you, what is your order number (Begins with R) I will find out what is going on

Best, Max

While you are at it Max can you check on my status. 8x10 order placed October 24, 2018. Thanks!

paulbarden
2-May-2019, 07:21
Buying an "EX++++" camera on eBay and discovering it's a junker is a huge turnoff for someone who already is facing a steep learning curve. Someone who is just starting out is more likely to stick with it if the camera is new and works out of the box. That's what the Intrepid is doing for us collectively (most of the time...)

I'm one of those who is not pleased with the Intrepid 8X10 camera (previous iteration to current).
You want to know whats a "huge turnoff"?? Buying a brand new camera - regardless of its price point - and discovering that not only does it NOT work "right out of the box" (mine had a non-functioning base/focusing rail that had to be replaced and totally unusable lens board: warped into a crescent shape), but new problems develop soon after being put into service: knobs quickly lose the ability to be tightened, and components don't lock down tightly, parts fall off (the magnets have fallen out of the rear frame, the felt has come off with it, and a piece of hardware has come out of the rear frame). Also, the focusing gear assembly in the base is now failing: the teeth are 3D-printed and they now grind and skip, like the first one that had to be replaced (I imagine this is why they quickly changed the focusing rail design in the new version, because the previous one was difficult to get right).

There are other minor nuisances but its the major flaws I regard as problematic: I doubt this camera will last long, and the truth is that I have barely used it! (I rely on my 1935 Deardorff more often) So for the money spent, I suggest an old Kodak 2D or similar instead, which actually has a chance of lasting another 50 years, with some care - even if it is a bit rough and may need some attention. To suggest that Intrepid is encouraging a new generation of large format users is a stretch, when they are shipping cameras with serious problems that are evident the second you get it out of the box. I'm sure there are plenty of buyers who are not having these problems, but I have personally spoken with several people who have also had serious quality control/manufacturing issues with the camera they received. I hope Intrepid survives this "growing pains" phase of their career and can nail down these manufacturing problems, and ship a working camera 100% of the time. It seems that goal is a ways off yet, however.

Max Grew
2-May-2019, 08:30
Daniel Casper Lohenstein

Some of these problems, not all though sound like the camera was very badly handled during shipping. The only cases we have had of the rear focus glue failing is from packages that have been dropped badly by the courier. The camera being dropped would also make sense for screws being loose and falling out as a camera would never be sent out in that condition. I will look into screws for the rear focus though, the reason we use glue is that it is faster and works (in most cases). Further investigation is needed though clearly. Would it be possible to know who's camera you are actually talking about, so we can rectify the problem if we have not already.

Michael Kadillak

I think Naomi just emailed you, will be going out on Wednesday though by the looks of things!

paulbarden

Hi Paul, sorry to hear you are still having problems with the camera, I thought we had got it all sorted when we were emailing last year. The new design addresses all of the issues you mention. Please get in touch via email so we can rectify the situation. We are not in the habit of leaving anyone with a camera they can't use and would be happy to help out.

Best, Max

Michael Kadillak
2-May-2019, 08:36
Daniel Casper Lohenstein

Some of these problems, not all though sound like the camera was very badly handled during shipping. The only cases we have had of the rear focus glue failing is from packages that have been dropped badly by the courier. The camera being dropped would also make sense for screws being loose and falling out as a camera would never be sent out in that condition. I will look into screws for the rear focus though, the reason we use glue is that it is faster and works (in most cases). Further investigation is needed though clearly. Would it be possible to know who's camera you are actually talking about, so we can rectify the problem if we have not already.

Michael Kadillak

I think Naomi just emailed you, will be going out on Wednesday though by the looks of things!

paulbarden

Hi Paul, sorry to hear you are still having problems with the camera, I thought we had got it all sorted when we were emailing last year. The new design addresses all of the issues you mention. Please get in touch via email so we can rectify the situation. We are not in the habit of leaving anyone with a camera they can't use and would be happy to help out.

Best, Max

Yes, thanks Max. Naomi did email me and I appreciate the communication.

Have Great Day and thanks for checking in here. We all appreciate your addition to film consumers everywhere.

pepeguitarra
2-May-2019, 09:26
My 4x5 Intrepid MK2 focussing on my 4x5 Korona. Despite lack of perfection, the camera is good and does a great job.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7833/46288882955_5a3755015c_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2dwoCdT)20190224_160945 (https://flic.kr/p/2dwoCdT) by Palenquero Photography (https://www.flickr.com/photos/palenquero/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/7843/46479987954_71dd9a0ca5_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2dPh65E)20190224_160901 (https://flic.kr/p/2dPh65E) by Palenquero Photography (https://www.flickr.com/photos/palenquero/), on Flickr

Some more on the 4x5, with most all movements and above all, its light weight:

https://live.staticflickr.com/4915/31431878787_358b786b51_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/PTwAuB)The Intrepid 4x5 (https://flic.kr/p/PTwAuB) by Palenquero Photography (https://www.flickr.com/photos/palenquero/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/4820/31431877567_c84f259a39_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/PTwA8z)The Intrepid 4x5 (https://flic.kr/p/PTwA8z) by Palenquero Photography (https://www.flickr.com/photos/palenquero/), on Flickr

paulbarden
2-May-2019, 09:29
[B]

Best, Max

I will contact you, Max. Thank you.

pepeguitarra
2-May-2019, 09:38
Here is the last shot taken wide open that did not fit in my prior post: (I am enchanted with the Sheimpflug principle)

https://live.staticflickr.com/7923/46529088932_52975dbea6_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2dTBK6f)Sheimpflug (https://flic.kr/p/2dTBK6f) by Palenquero Photography (https://www.flickr.com/photos/palenquero/), on Flickr

pepeguitarra
2-May-2019, 09:41
And here is the 8x10 MK II fully extended with the heavy Nikkor-M 450/9, very stable and strong despite its light weight.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/33814253998_48abb285d5_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Tw3TDh)Intrepid 8x10 + Nikkor-M 450/9 (https://flic.kr/p/Tw3TDh) by Palenquero Photography (https://www.flickr.com/photos/palenquero/), on Flickr

rdeloe
2-May-2019, 10:45
Sounds like you had a bad experience. No need to yell at me. I did say I have no skin in the game...

I stand by my overall point though. It can take more than "some attention" to get an old camera into working condition. I bought a Wista 45VX from a reputable camera store that checked it over before selling it to me. Thank goodness I'm handy and like mechanical things because it took a lot of effort to get it back to working condition. The things I had to do would be well beyond the capabilities of lots of people -- and mine came to me in vastly better condition than a lot of the ones I see for sale on eBay. If most of the ones they ship are good, and they take good care of the people who got bad ones, they'll be fine and they will (hopefully) bring some new blood to large format.

Anyway, I hope you get some satisfaction from Intrepid.

I'm one of those who is not pleased with the Intrepid 8X10 camera (previous iteration to current).
You want to know whats a "huge turnoff"?? Buying a brand new camera - regardless of its price point - and discovering that not only does it NOT work "right out of the box" (mine had a non-functioning base/focusing rail that had to be replaced and totally unusable lens board: warped into a crescent shape), but new problems develop soon after being put into service: knobs quickly lose the ability to be tightened, and components don't lock down tightly, parts fall off (the magnets have fallen out of the rear frame, the felt has come off with it, and a piece of hardware has come out of the rear frame). Also, the focusing gear assembly in the base is now failing: the teeth are 3D-printed and they now grind and skip, like the first one that had to be replaced (I imagine this is why they quickly changed the focusing rail design in the new version, because the previous one was difficult to get right).

There are other minor nuisances but its the major flaws I regard as problematic: I doubt this camera will last long, and the truth is that I have barely used it! (I rely on my 1935 Deardorff more often) So for the money spent, I suggest an old Kodak 2D or similar instead, which actually has a chance of lasting another 50 years, with some care - even if it is a bit rough and may need some attention. To suggest that Intrepid is encouraging a new generation of large format users is a stretch, when they are shipping cameras with serious problems that are evident the second you get it out of the box. I'm sure there are plenty of buyers who are not having these problems, but I have personally spoken with several people who have also had serious quality control/manufacturing issues with the camera they received. I hope Intrepid survives this "growing pains" phase of their career and can nail down these manufacturing problems, and ship a working camera 100% of the time. It seems that goal is a ways off yet, however.

Peter De Smidt
2-May-2019, 11:20
And don't forget that there can be problems even with experienced manufacturers. A friend of mine had Arca Swiss take a very long time to fix something. The most expensive photo item I ever bought was a brand new Wisner 8x10. I never ended up getting a camera without obvious flaws....cracked wood......and the communication and delays were awful. If anyone wants to, they can still buy new cameras from Linhof, Sinar.....but the costs involved are often prohibitive. I'm very encouraged that Max seems to be doing his best to make things right.

Bob Salomon
2-May-2019, 11:43
And don't forget that there can be problems even with experienced manufacturers. A friend of mine had Arca Swiss take a very long time to fix something. The most expensive photo item I ever bought was a brand new Wisner 8x10. I never ended up getting a camera without obvious flaws....cracked wood......and the communication and delays were awful. If anyone wants to, they can still buy new cameras from Linhof, Sinar.....but the costs involved are often prohibitive. I'm very encouraged that Max seems to be doing his best to make things right.

You can buy new large format, 4x5 up, from Linhof, Wista, Canham, Arca and some others but not from Sinar. They only make the 6x9 cm P3!

Tin Can
2-May-2019, 13:48
Linhof 4x5 Master Technika 3000 Metal Field Camera

Expected availability: 2-4 weeks

$10,234.50

This item is noncancelable and nonreturnable...

Jac@stafford.net
2-May-2019, 14:25
$10,234.50

Is it correct that the camera has no rangefinder? If it does not then it is retrogressive, is it not?

Bob Salomon
2-May-2019, 14:25

$10,234.50

This is a shame! We stocked it at all times as the distributor and our dealers could get any Technika, TK and most Kardan camera’s as well as the digital cameras next day if in the NY metropolitan area and within 3 any where else, except Alaska and Hawaii.

Tin Can
2-May-2019, 14:29
How many sell these days?

Direct from today's B&H site

This is a shame! We stocked it at all times as the distributor and our dealers could get any Technika, TK and most Kardan camera’s as well as the digital cameras next day if in the NY metropolitan area and within 3 any where else, except Alaska and Hawaii.

Jac@stafford.net
2-May-2019, 14:29

Note the bold text.

Bob Salomon
2-May-2019, 14:51
Note the bold text.

I’ll rephrase it,next day where ever possible from northern NJ by FedX or UPS.

Bob Salomon
2-May-2019, 14:52
How many sell these days?

Direct from today's B&H site

No idea, we had dealers who sold far more Linhof then B&H. Their LF business with us was rather small.

Corran
2-May-2019, 18:08

$10,234.50

I don't know who in their right mind is buying new Linhof Master Technikas today, in 2019. Certainly not working artists/photographers - they wouldn't be able to afford it!

Intrepid 4x5 cameras probably retain more of their value (%) than Linhof cameras off the lot.

Bob Salomon
2-May-2019, 19:00
I don't know who in their right mind is buying new Linhof Master Technikas today, in 2019. Certainly not working artists/photographers - they wouldn't be able to afford it!

Intrepid 4x5 cameras probably retain more of their value (%) than Linhof cameras off the lot.

Since they are still made they are selling them to somebody. But since I haven’t been involved with their sales since we closed in 2015 I wouldn’t know.

But then Rolex, Patet Phillips, LouisVutton, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Porsche, Audi, et al all are thriving there are obviously people out there that can afford and use them.

One of the last sales we made through a west coast dealer was a complete 3 lens Technorama Slll a girl bought for her boyfriend graduating college!

But like Leica, top end Canon and Nikon, Alpa, etc. these customers exist, maybe not here, but in a large enough scale to keep making the product.

When I first visited the Linhof and Rollei factories in the 80s they had large halls filled with craftsmen and women, sitting at benches all day preparing parts filming,boring, trimming, etc.. for preparing body housing and parts for assembly. And little guys with soft mallets aligning parts,
Last,time there those big halls were empty of workers at desks and instead CAT machines, programmed by one guy was replacing all of those workers. Far less manual work but greater production!

Same thing at Kaiser, Heliopan, Gepe, and most other products we represented, fewer workers on the floor, more big machines, from Japan and Switzerland, higher production, lower defective product, more product made also from better utilization of material that would, in the past, have been good only for scrap!

Same production gains were obtained at Rodenstock as well as with the Rimowa suitcases when they atomized!

Corran
2-May-2019, 19:07
But then Rolex, Patet Phillips, LouisVutton, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Porsche, Audi, et al all are thriving there are obviously people out there that can afford and use them.

Luxury brands. Status symbols. Not tools for working pros/artists.

Anyway, good on Max for addressing issues above.

pepeguitarra
2-May-2019, 19:59
Bob: You just sent me over memory lane. Growning at home, my mom's refrigerator was a Kelvinator that lasted for 45 years. After our parents died, we gave it away for the metal (still working, but consumed too much energy). Now, we buy a Korean refrigerator every three years (they die after 3 years). In the town, there was a butcher, and we went to buy fresh meat every day; the milk man delivered the milk in a bottle to our door step; the eggs came from Mr. Goshi, who had a farm close by with lots of chickens; the vegetable were grown on our on backyard. Then, they built the freeways, and transportation came in. No longer small farmers, only big corporation farmers, milk are produced in factories (who knows how), etc. etc. Most of the manufacturing jobs (light manufacturing --18%-- are gone to East Asia) are gone and not coming back. The good paying jobs for those who chose a trade are gone, that is why everyone wants college now, and computer programing, etc. The only jobs that pay some good many are nurses, and there are not enough, so we get an influx from Phillipines. My kids graduated around 2008 and have not been able to find a good paying job, even after years of college. Something is happening in the world that need to be fixed. In the meantime, I keep supporting the manufacturing (in England, not Asia) of black boxes with one lens board in one end, and a ground glass at the other end.

Bob Salomon
2-May-2019, 21:33
Bob: You just sent me over memory lane. Growning at home, my mom's refrigerator was a Kelvinator that lasted for 45 years. After our parents died, we gave it away for the metal (still working, but consumed too much energy). Now, we buy a Korean refrigerator every three years (they die after 3 years). In the town, there was a butcher, and we went to buy fresh meat every day; the milk man delivered the milk in a bottle to our door step; the eggs came from Mr. Goshi, who had a farm close by with lots of chickens; the vegetable were grown on our on backyard. Then, they built the freeways, and transportation came in. No longer small farmers, only big corporation farmers, milk are produced in factories (who knows how), etc. etc. Most of the manufacturing jobs (light manufacturing --18%-- are gone to East Asia) are gone and not coming back. The good paying jobs for those who chose a trade are gone, that is why everyone wants college now, and computer programing, etc. The only jobs that pay some good many are nurses, and there are not enough, so we get an influx from Phillipines. My kids graduated around 2008 and have not been able to find a good paying job, even after years of college. Something is happening in the world that need to be fixed. In the meantime, I keep supporting the manufacturing (in England, not Asia) of black boxes with one lens board in one end, and a ground glass at the other end.

I remember some of that growing up, during WWll and Korea we raised chickens and ducks, got milk from the milkman, had to chase cows out of our side yard when they got away from the farm next to us. Kneed margarine until the yellow capsule turned the white margerine to yellow!

This Saturday my daughter’s youngest is graduating The Schaller Business School at Georgia Tech with highest honors and will follow his middle brother to Deloitte. The middle one also graduated Schiller at GT and went to Deloitte but at 25 he just got a CFO position in the aircraft service industry.

The more somethings change sometimes they stay the same. My daughter’s oldest son is a mechanical engineer in the storage battery business for storing electricity from silicon panels. And none of them are 30 yet!

shoshin
7-May-2019, 22:57
I have received my 8x10 MKII today :-). Thanks again to Max for helping out. The camera is absolutely flawless and a really beautiful piece of work. I:-)

lassethomas
17-May-2019, 08:25
The rotating focusing knob was fallen down because it was glued on a knob base on the focusing rail. This happens if you fold the camera: the base of the front standard pushes backwards against the glued part of the knob. With the knob fully mounted you can't lay down the camera on the table without stressing the adhesive joint. There were no bolts in the prepared holes to transmit the energy of the circular motion of the glued knob into the circular motion of the knobs base that moves the focusing rail. There were only blank surfaces with residues of glue. If you turn the knob you risk to break it off. Be sure to have a very strong glue.

She tried to mount a lensplate. It does not wobble like the lensplates of the older versions. To be more precisely: the lensplate did not fit at all into the front standard. She had to file the wood. Sawdust in the bellows interior.

Got my Mark 4 yesterday with exactly the same problem. Focusing knob was loose in the box. Turning the rear focus is really awkward without it.
Yes it looks as it was glued on.

And the lens board recession on the front standard is to small. Not even the Intrepid board I bought with the camera fits. So no way mounting a lens without filing and tooling.

Have tried to contact Intrepid but no answer so far, but it's only been today so far.

Max Grew
18-May-2019, 08:18
Hello Lasse, Sorry about the knob falling off, luckily a very easy fix, I have just sent you a quick email so we can get that all sorted for you. Best, Max

Fred L
18-May-2019, 08:29
just a thought, but shouldn't the focus knob have a grub screw to secure it ? I've never seen glue used to secure knobs on any other LF camera, but am open to correction.

Max Grew
18-May-2019, 08:40
just a thought, but shouldn't the focus knob have a grub screw to secure it ? I've never seen glue used to secure knobs on any other LF camera, but am open to correction.

Hi Fred, due to the compact design in this section of the camera there wasn't room for a grub screw or retaining nut, CA glue worked perfectly in our testing, but it turns out that if the camera gets bumped around during shipping, a lot of force can go onto the knob and it can come off. We have added 4 pins to retain the knob onto the lead screw and added more protection to the camera during shipping and thankfully this has solved the problem :)

lassethomas
19-May-2019, 00:27
Hello Lasse, Sorry about the knob falling off, luckily a very easy fix, I have just sent you a quick email so we can get that all sorted for you. Best, Max

Max, I've answered to your mail

RenoAmiens
6-Jun-2019, 04:58
Sad news today!

"I recieved an email from intrepid camera :

A quick update on your camera

Your 4x5 MK4 is coming along great, and is now entering the final stages of production!

There has been a delay on some of the final parts from our suppliers though, which has caused a slight hold up.

This has extended the lead time, and your camera should ship in about 2 weeks time. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience so far.

In the meantime take a look at our new 'how to' page and guide videos to help get your head around everything you need to know for setting up your new Intrepid camera.

As always feel free to get in touch with us directly if you have any other questions or queries.

All the best,

The Intrepid Team"

Michael Kadillak
6-Jun-2019, 07:20
Sad news today!

"I recieved an email from intrepid camera :

A quick update on your camera

Your 4x5 MK4 is coming along great, and is now entering the final stages of production!

There has been a delay on some of the final parts from our suppliers though, which has caused a slight hold up.

This has extended the lead time, and your camera should ship in about 2 weeks time. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience so far.

In the meantime take a look at our new 'how to' page and guide videos to help get your head around everything you need to know for setting up your new Intrepid camera.

As always feel free to get in touch with us directly if you have any other questions or queries.

All the best,

The Intrepid Team"

Realistically setting your expectations relative to posted time lines with Intrepid one must remember that these are posted as estimates. My 8x10 was estimated at 8 weeks and it took 16 weeks. For the manufacturer it is a volume and logistics thing. And this issue has been posted any number of times. They have large numbers of orders, only so many people on staff and are dependent upon parts suppliers. The good news is your camera will eventually show up. I strongly advised some form of hard protection over the ground glass to them when the camera ships which is more of an issue with am 8x10 camera than a 4x5, but it is still an item that needs proper attendance.

RenoAmiens
6-Jun-2019, 23:42
I know the 6 weeks are an estimation, but it seems that the real lead time is far away for 6 weeks.
In that case why not showing the real lead time on the web site , maybe it's not customer attractive?
They have a large number of orders and too many people on staff! I could suggest to increase the staff.

I ' ve already send an email, and they didn't answer; this is absolutely not customer respectfull.

paulbarden
7-Jun-2019, 07:03
I know the 6 weeks are an estimation, but it seems that the real lead time is far away for 6 weeks.
In that case why not showing the real lead time on the web site , maybe it's not customer attractive?
They have a large number of orders and too many people on staff! I could suggest to increase the staff.

I ' ve already send an email, and they didn't answer; this is absolutely not customer respectfull.

With my purchase, six weeks turned into four months, with no communication as time passed. I don’t know why they state a lead time they cannot possibly meet. It would save the customer some frustration if they were given realistic times.

Michael Kadillak
7-Jun-2019, 08:09
With my purchase, six weeks turned into four months, with no communication as time passed. I don’t know why they state a lead time they cannot possibly meet. It would save the customer some frustration if they were given realistic times.

I ordered my 8x10 after reading your earlier comments about a greatly elongated delivery time and lacking communication and fully expected it would take far longer than they promised and that proved to be the case and then some. Toward the end of my waiting period I received some messages and passed back to the company some recommendations to protect the camera during shipment. No question they should put realistic delivery times on their website but I contend that there is sufficient knowledge among this eclectic group of photographers that should know the realistic delivery time involved. That being said I am not discouraged with the process at all even replacing the ground glass myself and working through a tight 3/8" tripod thread issue. I like the upgrades to the camera and feel it will serve me well in the high country of Montana, Wyoming and Colorado.

pepeguitarra
7-Jun-2019, 19:30
I ordered my 8x10 after reading your earlier comments about a greatly elongated delivery time and lacking communication and fully expected it would take far longer than they promised and that proved to be the case and then some. Toward the end of my waiting period I received some messages and passed back to the company some recommendations to protect the camera during shipment. No question they should put realistic delivery times on their website but I contend that there is sufficient knowledge among this eclectic group of photographers that should know the realistic delivery time involved. That being said I am not discouraged with the process at all even replacing the ground glass myself and working through a tight 3/8" tripod thread issue. I like the upgrades to the camera and feel it will serve me well in the high country of Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. Be patient. It is a good camera after all.

Michael Kadillak
8-Jun-2019, 20:08
After consulting my machinist friend concerning the inability of the 3/8" plate on the bottom of my Intrepid 8x10 camera to properly receive my Monfrotto and Arca Swiss quick release plates, we decided that it would be best to remove the camera plate that came with the camera in its entirety and replace it with a plate that is a bit thicker and has two 3/8" receiving threads on the bottom. My Area Swiss base plate will be modified to fit the two 3/8" receiving crews on the augmented camera base plate. This will remove the tendency of the camera to rotate when insert film holders and keep the camera rock solid on the tripod.

Peter De Smidt
8-Jun-2019, 20:28
That sounds like a good plan.

klw
8-Jun-2019, 23:42
After consulting my machinist friend concerning the inability of the 3/8" plate on the bottom of my Intrepid 8x10 camera to properly receive my Monfrotto and Arca Swiss quick release plates, we decided that it would be best to remove the camera plate that came with the camera in its entirety and replace it with a plate that is a bit thicker and has two 3/8" receiving threads on the bottom. My Area Swiss base plate will be modified to fit the two 3/8" receiving crews on the augmented camera base plate. This will remove the tendency of the camera to rotate when insert film holders and keep the camera rock solid on the tripod.

You could even make a permanent Arca plate like this: https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?123534-Quick-releases-for-LF-cameras&p=1256897&viewfull=1#post1256897

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
9-Jun-2019, 23:09

How much is this and how much are these measures in their entirety? Why don't you simply sold a decent plate on the bottom?

Andrea Gazzoni
10-Jun-2019, 02:55
the strange thing is that in the first version of the camera the plate did not have these problems.
the base plate on the MKII is too thin and it won't work with the captive screws of some quick release plates.
screws like this will "float" into the socket.
hope they will eventually solve this issue by releasing a thicker plate we can buy.

Michael Kadillak
10-Jun-2019, 07:51
the strange thing is that in the first version of the camera the plate did not have these problems.
the base plate on the MKII is too thin and it won't work with the captive screws of some quick release plates.
screws like this will "float" into the socket.
hope they will eventually solve this issue by releasing a thicker plate we can buy.

Yes indeed. If you screw past the shoulder the screw just floats. Not good. My initial issue was the 3/8" receiving threads on the base of the 8x10 Intrepid would only take 1/2 screw turn and no more. My machinist friend confirmed the plate was too thin hence the decision to replace it. It appeared that there is lock tight on the Allen screw / nut combination holding this plate to the base of the camera. Expect some applied heat will release this connection so the plate can be removed from the camera. Speaking of which I am looking for a source of the screws you attached in your post. Might you know where I could acquire a couple?

Andrea Gazzoni
10-Jun-2019, 08:03
sorry no, just a random image from the web

Peter De Smidt
10-Jun-2019, 08:06
Search for "camera screw" at bhphoto.

pepeguitarra
10-Jun-2019, 12:18
Yes indeed. If you screw past the shoulder the screw just floats. Not good. My initial issue was the 3/8" receiving threads on the base of the 8x10 Intrepid would only take 1/2 screw turn and no more. My machinist friend confirmed the plate was too thin hence the decision to replace it. It appeared that there is lock tight on the Allen screw / nut combination holding this plate to the base of the camera. Expect some applied heat will release this connection so the plate can be removed from the camera. Speaking of which I am looking for a source of the screws you attached in your post. Might you know where I could acquire a couple?

I had the same impression with the thickness of the plate, specially if I was going to be unscrewing and screwing every time I was going to use the camera. I asked Ben Horne has he would approach it, he suggested to have a dedicated release plated screwed all the times to minimize the friction. I got a $3. 3/8" screw from the auction site and screwed into the 3/8" receiving thread. This cheap screw fitted well, it did not float. So, I have a permanently attached 3/8" quick release plate.

Andrea Gazzoni
10-Jun-2019, 12:24
Pepe can you please post a picture?
I understand you fitted the screw to the release plate, but this would not work on plates where the screw can "travel" along a slot to adjust position. thanks

pepeguitarra
10-Jun-2019, 15:20
Pepe can you please post a picture?
I understand you fitted the screw to the release plate, but this would not work on plates where the screw can "travel" along a slot to adjust position. thanks
I will get picture later. That is correct, I purchased a $3 screw (https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-3-8-D-Ring-Screw-Stainless-Steel-Camera-Tripod-Monopod-Quick-Release-Plate/141930992743?hash=item210bbf1467:g:gccAAOSwxp9W6LrF)short enough to use the full thickness of the plate and stay still within the threads.

RenoAmiens
12-Jun-2019, 06:55
My order has been dispached today :)

Michael Kadillak
12-Jun-2019, 07:08
My order has been dispached today :)

Great way to start the day. You will be getting yours far quicker than I got mine so maybe Intrepid is improving their production and/or parts inventory supply flow. Hope they added some rigid protection to the ground glass for shipping protection. Good Shooting!

RenoAmiens
21-Jun-2019, 02:25
The ca mera was finaly delivered yesterday :)

SParis
12-Jul-2019, 19:04
I guess I'm part of the "silent majority."
I ordered a 4x5 camera from the Kickstarter, the upgrade metal baseplate and the enlarger kit. The camera took a long time to arrive, but I've backed several Kickstarters and late is pretty normal.
The baseplate and enlarger kit arrived when promised, and work just fine, as does the camera.

(FWIW, I own an Omega 4x5 enlarger and a Durst, but we just moved from our empty-nest house to a much smaller ranch, and I don't have any place to put them. :(

The company's communications with me have been sometimes not instantaneous, but someone has always answered my questions in a reasonable time.

So I've just been happily out taking pictures with my Intrepid.

I just thought it would be fair to post a positive experience.

pepeguitarra
12-Jul-2019, 21:48
I am waiting for my enlarger with no signs of it!!

Peter De Smidt
13-Jul-2019, 06:37
Regarding communication, I emailed them a simple technical question a few weeks ago....no reply.

Fred L
13-Jul-2019, 06:48
perhaps we can help you with your question...

Max Grew
13-Jul-2019, 18:37
Regarding communication, I emailed them a simple technical question a few weeks ago....no reply.

Hi Peter, just double checked and can’t see an un answered email from
You, sorry if it got lost in the sub-etha! what was it you wanted to know?

Best, Max

Peter De Smidt
13-Jul-2019, 19:53
No worries, Max. I figured it out.

Robert Brazile
14-Jul-2019, 08:10
I am waiting for my enlarger with no signs of it!!

Mine showed up this week. They're trickling out.

Robert

Implicit
4-Aug-2019, 01:17
I just got my 4x5 Mk4. Tracking somehow failed. (Royal Mail clailm it never got picked up)...then it supposedly spent 2 weeks in the UK before coming to Canada. I can't see any dates on the UK labels, as the Canada Post ones cover it. It looks to me that it didn't get shipped until I asked about the missing tracking.
Several of my emails went unanswered. Facebook message got ignored. Bits broken on the camera. Easily fixed, but still. Front standard requires a lot of force to move.
I wanted to add a lensboard to my camera order but that was not possible and I had to order and pay separate shipping. (And that somehow also took 2 weeks to get shipped).
It has all the hallmarks of a company still trying to get the first kickstarter out, but they've been going for what? 4-5 years now?
Sure, it's cheap and mine will be used for hiking/backpacking and I wont have to worry too much about knocking it about, but buyer beware. This is not a well organized company. I get better customer service on Aliexpress for $2 bits of electronics.

Peter De Smidt
4-Aug-2019, 08:24
Quality, price, service: generally, they're a zero-sum game. While waiting for my Intrepid 8x10, I bought an Agfa 8x10 locally. It was much cheaper than the Intrepid, but it's going to take me a couple of months to get in perfectly working order.

pepeguitarra
4-Aug-2019, 14:09
Mine showed up this week. They're trickling out.

Robert

I got it last week. I am waiting for a free time to try to put it together and test it. No instructions came with it. I hope they have a video showing how to set it up.

shoshin
5-Aug-2019, 08:59
i've been waiting for a lensboard since the middle of july. I Canceled the order today. Lets see what happens...
It's just a lensboard. Shouldn't be so complicated to ship it.

Peter De Smidt
5-Aug-2019, 09:28
My video shows how to mount to a tripod, open the camera, use the movements and insert holders. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKm1vJk3Xac

Abe
26-Aug-2021, 12:42
I did order lens boards and a lens board adaptor. They shipped out pretty fast in my opinion. I got it in 14 days from UK. I live in MD.
They also did respond to email communications as to some clarification on fitment for a lens board. They took a day or two but did respond.
I also did order an 8x10 Intrepid MII. They do send updates every two weeks on its status mentioning it is coming(building the camera) along fine. It's week four now. Will keep updated as to its timeline when it arrives. They seem to have improved on their cs over the years.

NVANHORN
30-Sep-2021, 19:50
Curious, how much do they ding you on shipping to the US from UK?

Corran
30-Sep-2021, 20:30
According to my invoice from March last year:

Black Edition Intrepid 4x5 £266.67
Delivery: Parcelforce Global Priority £20.48

Abe
1-Oct-2021, 21:17
They charged around $45 for shipping. It came by DHL and pretty fast. The bill shows a total payment of $622.00 for the 8X10 MKII. Including PayPal also dinged me $20 for foreign exchange fees. I think you can avoid that by paying by your credit card and the exchange fees should be lesser. I ordered 26th July and they shipped out on 9 Sept for the Intrepid MKII 8x10. That's 6 weeks to build and ship out. This may vary based on demand I think. I ordered a copal 1 lens board separately, and the shipping fee was 2$.

NVANHORN
5-Oct-2021, 19:37
Thanks for the reply! Catlabs in Boston has Intrepid 4x5's that they are selling for the price of the 8x10 straight from the UK. I considered it, but that is a significant price increase in exchange for waiting to get one directly from Intrepid. Look like I will wait for the 5-7 weeks and invest the saved money in Film, glass etc...

Abe
6-Oct-2021, 20:49
You are welcome!
Catlabs seems to be making money :)
I concur on waiting and getting good glass for the money.
I got some lenses on Deardorff boards and I'm sanding the boards down to fit the Intrepid.

Tin Can
18-Nov-2021, 08:52
Dudes, Intrepid has shipping cost on their site

nitroplait
15-Mar-2022, 10:07
Status as of March 2022.

Ordered my standard 4x5 MK4 on Feb. 1st with a noted lead time of 6-8 weeks on the website.
Got a DHL tracking number already 2 days after the automatic 4 weeks update.
So 5 weeks from order until I had it in hand including clearance in customs (UK -> EU) - faster than expected.

The camera has been "documented to death" on youtube so there were no surprises.

I didn't have to communicate with the Intrepid team, so no experiences there.

tom43
16-Jun-2022, 02:02
Short update from my end: Ordered some smaller items like lens boards and fresnel lens, according to the online shop all immediately available ("on stock"). After an immediate and automatic email response, I have not heard anything within two weeks. Small company yes, but finally also this is a customer business and it should not be too difficult to find a person dispatching orders. There seems to be a lack of interest to fix this situation...

ericantonio
16-Jun-2022, 15:58
Hola from SoCal, anyone? Website says 6-8 weeks. Wondering if that is about same time. I know I can email them, but would first ask here who has first hand knowledge instead of a marketing statement.

paulbarden
16-Jun-2022, 17:23
Last July I bought the 5x7 Intrepid. It took maybe 3-4 weeks longer than the estimate, but that was way better than when I bought the 8x10 two years earlier. I expect you should add a month to their estimate.

nitroplait
21-Jun-2022, 23:34
Today, Intrepid's Instagram story said 1 week lead time on red and black 4X5 MK4.
Same info is repeated on their website. 4X5 MK4 green or blue are still 6 weeks.