PDA

View Full Version : Epson v700 scanner glass

swmcl
25-Sep-2018, 00:00
Hi,

I've just dropped the glass of the BetterScan or whatever its called onto the Epson glass base and there is a scratch on the glass of the Epson. I'll need to replace the glass on the Epson scanner.

Has anyone done this before ? Do I / Can I order a replacement glass or can I just replace with something from the local glass shop ? Is it easy to pull apart and replace ??

Cheers,
Steve

Pere Casals
25-Sep-2018, 02:37
$45 at ebay: Epson Perfection v700 & v750 - Lower Glass Assembly - NEW

Here Nicolas Llasera show how to do it while cleaning the device, easy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wJjDd7q2rA&t=644s

Doug Fisher
25-Sep-2018, 08:23
I know people who have bought high quality float glass locally and reported it worked fine. You need to find a glass shop who can provide glass without bubbles/scratches/waves. The less green the better. I would open up the scanner and first make sure you are able to remove the current glass before ordering anything. If that is not within your skill set, Pere provided a good alternative option.

Doug

Two23
25-Sep-2018, 15:35
I need to remove the glass from my v700 and clean the backside. What do I use--Windex? Alcohol? I think one of those two might damage a coating.

Kent in SD

Pere Casals
25-Sep-2018, 15:39
I need to remove the glass from my v700 and clean the backside. What do I use--Windex? Alcohol? I think one of those two might damage a coating.

Kent in SD

There in no coatind in the bed glass, iirc

swmcl
25-Sep-2018, 17:42
Thanks for the heads up guys. I've taken the top off the scanner and have found that there is no 3mm low-iron glass imported into Australia. So I am stuck with normal iron content in the glass or buy the product in the EBay link. I've chosen to give the top to a local glass repairer who will fit a new glass. We'll see how it goes. The Epson glass is somewhat green anyway. It may not be low-iron.

Thanks again,
Steve

Bernard_L
26-Sep-2018, 00:23
Grab the opportunity to fit an anti-reflection glass. I mean true anti-reflection, vacuum coated, also called museum glass. Contact a framing shop. A bit expensive, but will basically upgrade your V700 to a V750.

coisasdavida
26-Sep-2018, 04:27
Grab the opportunity to fit an anti-reflection glass. I mean true anti-reflection, vacuum coated, also called museum glass. Contact a framing shop. A bit expensive, but will basically upgrade your V700 to a V750.

When replacing a broken V700 glass here in Brazil I thought I could do that, but I couldn't find art glass that was thick enough and it feels most of the rigidity of the "lower glass assembly" is caused by the glass.

Pere Casals
26-Sep-2018, 05:40

The V750 vs V700 (and V850 vs 800) difference is not in the bed glass coating, but in the coating of the internal lenses. Have you tried relpacing the scanner bed by a coated one?

swmcl
28-Sep-2018, 00:19
OK.

I've learnt a few things ...

1. Don't allow showerscreen and window repairers to do the job. They tend to want to silicon everything into place.
2. Thinners is not the best substance for getting rid of silicon. It melts the plastic. No real harm done but still.
3. The standard glass seems OK. I think I've got bigger issues than some sort of colour shift.
4. Use double sided tape to help keep the dust out. No not the stuff the showerscreen guy wants to sell ... that stuff is a foam tape and is too thick.

We LF people need to be resourceful. The showerscreen guy told me people usually just chuck out the scanner if it gets scratched. Oh really? A new one costs around 1300 AUS for an v850 so I guess I'll repair mine !!

Sheesh.

jim10219
28-Sep-2018, 07:14

Kent in SD

I used Windex. It works well. But make sure to do it in a dust free environment and be sure to blow off any lint, dust, etc. and allow the Windex to evaporate before you reassemble it. I have to do this every year or so due to outgassing of the plastics. It's not too difficult to do, provided you can secure a dust free room.

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about the color of the glass, unless it's really noticeable. You can correct for that in post processing. I mean, color negative film has a pretty hard yellow cast to it, and people still can correct for it, so a tiny bit of green tint, won't mean much.

Doug Fisher
28-Sep-2018, 07:55
As long as your glass plate covers the underside calibration strip, coloring within the glass is usually pretty well compensated for by the scanning software.

Remember, when cleaning inside your scanner you do not want to get any fluid or specs of dirt on the calibration strip.

Doug

swmcl
28-Sep-2018, 13:17
Thanks Doug and Jim,

The calibration strip is good and yes, the other thing to note is not to use paper towels !! Although the paper does clean nicely it does leave bits of itself behind.

I think I'm good to go...