PDA

View Full Version : Is this Linhof Super Technika a good camera to start with?

ManWithManyHobbies
19-Sep-2018, 11:22
Hello,

New here and new to LF cameras. I've done quite of bit of film but it was years ago, 60's and 70's. Mostly 35mm but I did a lot of Pentax 6x7 too. Matter of fact I still have all my Pentax gear. Anyway I want to give 4x5 a shot even though I'm clueless. I have a lot of patience and more than willing to learn. Landscape is my primary interest but I'm quite flexible. I have the option of buying 1953 Linhof Super Technika but haven't the foggiest what to look out for, other than the obvious, such as the bellows and lens condition. I was hoping that those in the know would suggest some relevant questions to ask the seller regarding his 4x5? It has a 135mm Schneider lens. Seller says it's fully functional and he has used it. The shutter is accurate according to him. The bellows was replaced (not sure when etc.). He has two 4x5 film holders and a Linhof tripod. Are accessories and/or replacement parts that I might need available for this particular model?

Regards,
-JW:

Bob Salomon
19-Sep-2018, 11:36
Hello,

New here and new to LF cameras. I've done quite of bit of film but it was years ago, 60's and 70's. Mostly 35mm but I did a lot of Pentax 6x7 too. Matter of fact I still have all my Pentax gear. Anyway I want to give 4x5 a shot even though I'm clueless. I have a lot of patience and more than willing to learn. Landscape is my primary interest but I'm quite flexible. I have the option of buying 1953 Linhof Super Technika but haven't the foggiest what to look out for, other than the obvious, such as the bellows and lens condition. I was hoping that those in the know would suggest some relevant questions to ask the seller regarding his 4x5? It has a 135mm Schneider lens. Seller says it's fully functional and he has used it. The shutter is accurate according to him. The bellows was replaced (not sure when etc.). He has two 4x5 film holders and a Linhof tripod. Are accessories and/or replacement parts that I might need available for this particular model? Oh, and what would be a fair price?

Regards,
-JW:
That is the Super Technika lll, the factory has had no repair parts or accessories for it for 40+ years! In addition, the most commonly used camera movement, forward lens tilt is not on this camera!

You would be better served looking for the lV which replaced the lll in 1956. Although repair parts are also no longer available from the factory the lV takes current accessories, like lensboards, groundglass, Fresnel, cams, etc. it also has forward lens tilt.

Oren Grad
19-Sep-2018, 11:55
Welcome to the Forum!

Per Forum guidelines, valuation requests are out of bounds here. That aside, 4x5 cameras are common and generally not horribly expensive. Don't feel obliged to grab the first camera you see - there will be plenty of others worth considering. Spend some time reading the material on the LF Home Page and in the various camera discussion threads that have been posted here, learning about the different types of cameras available and their respective strengths and limitations - please do ask questions if anything is unclear! - and you will be able to make a reasonably informed choice rather than a stab in the dark.

ManWithManyHobbies
19-Sep-2018, 12:05
Thanks for the input Bob.

I have been reading the forum but simply didn't know the specific downside to this particular camera, if any. Seems there are many options to look into. I'll probably end up with a Wista N or a Intrepid 4x5 MK3.

Oren Grad
19-Sep-2018, 12:13
I have been reading the forum but simply didn't know the specific downside to this particular camera, if any.

IMO the main reason for getting a Technika is to use the coupled rangefinder. If you just want to put the camera on a tripod and use the ground glass, a Technika is bigger, heavier and fussier than needed. For context: I own a Master Technika with a set of cammed lenses as well as the grip and multifocus finder, so I'm pretty familiar with its virtues as well as its limitations. But for general wandering-around field work, I prefer my Nagaoka wooden field camera, which folds down much smaller and weighs less than half as much as the bare Technika without grip and finder.

I'll probably end up with a Wista N or a Intrepid 4x5 MK3.

Those are radically different cameras.

Jac@stafford.net
19-Sep-2018, 12:18
Bob S. is a great resource for anything Linhof.

I would pass on that camera and look for a V. If you want one with rangefinder be sure to get the cam that matches the lens; others here can probably point to sites that explain that better.

(I lucked out and got a V with three cam-matched lenses. I wish you the same good luck.)

ManWithManyHobbies
19-Sep-2018, 12:28
... for general wandering-around field work, I prefer my Nagaoka wooden field camera, which folds down much smaller and weighs less than half as much as the bare Technika without grip and finder.

I assume you mean the Nagaoka Seisakush 4x5. Sure looks interesting and only about 2 1/2 pounds. That would be easy to pack. Much lighter than the Wista N but a different camera too. <g>

Bob Salomon
19-Sep-2018, 12:34
I assume you mean the Nagaoka Seisakush 4x5. Sure looks interesting and only about 2 1/2 pounds. That would be easy to pack. Much lighter than the Wista N but a different camera too. <g>

The weight of the camera is one thing, but the total weight of what you will carry is more important. Another concern is that extra light cameras are more delicate and take longer to settle vibrations down then a heavier model.

Oren Grad
19-Sep-2018, 12:38

"Nagaoka Seisakusho" just means "Nagaoka Factory", which is actually just a hole-in-the-wall workshop in one of the older neighborhoods of Tokyo. Yes, that's the label found on many of Nagaoka-san's cameras.

The 4x5 Nagaoka has been made in varying designs over the years, but all of them are very compact and lightweight.

Yup, a different camera from a Wista N. :)

So I'll re-state my bias in a slightly different way: if you just want to get a taste of what 4x5 is like to use in the field and whether/how you might enjoy it, my preference for a starting point is for something inexpensive and lightweight. For me, lugging a heavy camera takes all the fun out of this kind of exploration. As always, YMMV.

Re the "it's the total system weight that matters" argument, sure: I can stuff the Nagaoka, compact 135mm and 90mm lenses, a handful of holders, a BTZS hood and a meter into a shoulder bag - don't even need a backpack - and wander around comfortably with that on one side and a tripod over my other shoulder without feeling like a beast of burden. For me, at least, the extra 4 pounds or so that a Technika "costs" puts the kit into backpack territory and materially changes the experience.

ManWithManyHobbies
19-Sep-2018, 13:01
Those are radically different cameras.

I know but the Linhof asking price was $400 and I figured that was a great price for it considering what I saw on eBay (with my limited knowledge).

-JW:

Oren Grad
19-Sep-2018, 13:09
I know but the Linhof asking price was $400 and I figured that was a great price for it considering what I saw on eBay (with my limited knowledge).

I would not be happy with it for the wandering-around field use that I've been talking about - an inexpensive camera that's annoying to use is no bargain. But I don't want to overstate the argument. If you don't mind the weight as much as I do, and assuming the condition is up to snuff, it would be a reasonable choice.

Mark Sampson
19-Sep-2018, 13:36
I'd say that condition is paramount here. A Linhof is one of the best-made mechanical devices ever- but this one is at least 62 years old. If it needs mechanical help (even these will wear out) you're in trouble. Think of it as an unrestored 1950s Mercedes-Benz 220 for comparison. I know the attraction of older, fine equipment (all too well) but if you can't inspect this one first, or get a no-worries return policy, find another camera.

ManWithManyHobbies
19-Sep-2018, 15:06
Thanks for the help and suggestions. That's why I came here and asked. It's difficult to inspect when you don't know what to inspect for. <g> Like buying a mill or metal lathe, you have to know what to look for, I haven't a clue 4x5 wise except the obvious.

Regards,
-JW:

Peter Collins
19-Sep-2018, 15:13
Oren +1. Stay light. You have no idea how many compromises and shots not taken you will experience when all the gear weighs a ton. Given the offerings that are always appearing in the Forum, I don't think the asking price is so much of a deal that you will always rejoice while carrying it around. Rather, much to the contrary. :(

LabRat
19-Sep-2018, 15:35
But if it is as advertised, it's not such a bad deal (but condition is important)...

Well packed, it's not too bad with the weight...

You should be able to recover your investment if you hate it...

The biggest issue is if you really want to learn advanced movements, this camera has most (not all) of them, but you really need experience of a monorail's movement to be able to call out the movement you need and apply it to the Tek, so a bit of an abstract puzzle at first...

Have Fun Shooting!!!

Steve K

Oren Grad
19-Sep-2018, 15:46
OK. With apologies if any of this is obvious:

1. Bellows - extend it all the way, poke a flashlight inside to inspect for pinholes and cracks.
2. Does the focusing bed extend smoothly and lock down securely?
3. Do the front-standard adjustments move smoothly throughout their range and lock down securely?
4. Does the back move easily away from the camera body when you loosen the four posts? On Technikas that haven't been used in a long time, the back is sometimes frozen in place.
5. Especially if a fresnel has been added, is the ground glass back properly shimmed for alignment with the film plane in holders?
6. If you intend to use the rangefinder, does the lens have a cam with serial numbers matching lens and body? Are the infinity stops and rangefinder mechanism properly calibrated to the lens?
7. Does the shutter work properly on all speeds, including B and/or T as applicable?
8. Does the lens have any fog, haze, coarse or fine scratches on front, rear or internal surfaces, or any element separation?

Bob Salomon
19-Sep-2018, 16:28
OK. With apologies if any of this is obvious:

1. Bellows - extend it all the way, poke a flashlight inside to inspect for pinholes and cracks.
2. Does the focusing bed extend smoothly and lock down securely?
3. Do the front-standard adjustments move smoothly throughout their range and lock down securely?
4. Does the back move easily away from the camera body when you loosen the four posts? On Technikas that haven't been used in a long time, the back is sometimes frozen in place.
5. Especially if a fresnel has been added, is the ground glass back properly shimmed for alignment with the film plane in holders?
6. If you intend to use the rangefinder, does the lens have a cam with serial numbers matching lens and body? Are the infinity stops and rangefinder mechanism properly calibrated to the lens?
7. Does the shutter work properly on all speeds, including B and/or T as applicable?
8. Does the lens have any fog, haze, coarse or fine scratches on front, rear or internal surfaces, or any element separation?

Regarding #1. Do that in a dark room or closet to see leaks.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
21-Sep-2018, 08:45
Hello,

in my humble opinion a Wista 45N is always better than a Linhof III, IV, V. There are many reason for this.

1. The Wista focusing bed is mounted via 2 giant srews at the side of the camera. This gives more stabilty. The Linhof focusing bed is mounted with hinges that can twist. Then you will have to readjust it, an this is costly. Without this you will have parallelism problems.

2. The Linhof bellows is known to be outworn rapidly. Buying a new bellows costs about 200 $. Of course, you can install a new bellows from China. They cost 100 $. But the Real Donald is increasing import taxes, and he certainly had these crooked Linhof bellows from Shenzen in mind ... You will have to cut a little bit from the smaller end of the China bellows (before installing) to get the camera closed.

3. The camera leather of the Linhof is outworn rapidly, too.

4. The Linhof is heavier.

5. Accessories for Linhof are expensive.

6. Rangefinder adjustment is complicated, needs servicing by the factory, works only for adjusted lenses. It's better to forget range finder focusing in large format. Get a Fujifilm 690 / Linhof 220 to obtain sharp an grainless pictures or a Graflex that you can adjust yourself. The Technika is too heavy, too, for range findering. This is what Linhof told us so often in the 1960s, in their books and journals about large format photography, when they introduced the Linhof Technika Press, the Linhof 70, the Linhof 220. The Nikolaus Karpf universum (Bortsch, Hans: Schule der modernen Fotografie, Edited by Nikolaus Karpf, 1978, Vol. II, p. 8) even underlined the obsolescence of 4x5: 4x5 would have no advantage anymore except adjustability of the standards.

7. Linhof ground glass back is mounted with two giant Graflock springs. These springs tighten themselves (on my camera). The result is that the spring mechanism on my Linhof does not work anymore. The spring mechanism blocks, when the groundglass has to turn back after pulling the film holder out. To avoid misfocus I have to free manually the tightened screw to make the groundglass snapping back into its natural position.

8. Although the Linhof is made of heavy metal the front standard holder isn't cut out of metal but made of die cast material. That couses stability issues. It tends to brake when pulling the front standard out of the box onto its focusing rails. To avoid this you will have to move the focusing rails back in direction of the camera body, onto the as well adjustable and after years of use loose transport reception in the camera box. When broken you can forget about using your Linhof with 90mm lenses ... The front standard will not be tight anymore. Here in Germany we tend to over-engineer things instead of keeping it simple. We use too many different materials to solve any problem differently instead of looking at construction problems in their entirety.

9. Tight front standard: you will have to readjust tightness of the front standard mounting on its focusing rails. If you don't ware to do this, this will cost extra altough it is quite simple.

10. Linhofs have got these hinges on the Linhof focusing bed, so they need an additional set of spring-loaded holders on both sides - but these holders have to be adjusted, too, to regain parallelism after 40 years.

11. The much beloved Frank Zappa told us that Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny. Linhof Technikas are not dead, too, sure, but doesn't it smells funny that they didn't change design since 1965?

Don't get me wrong, I am a German, and I am very proud of german engineering. But there is a natural evolution in camera building and the Wista company definitely built the worthy successors of the Linhof Technikas. You get 9 Chamonix 4x5 or 27 Intrepid 45 Mk III for the price of 1 Linhof Technika ... You don't buy 2.8F-Rolleiflexes with parallelism problems, blinding Sonnars or sticky Compur shutters, when you can get a Mamiya C330 with almost oil-free Seiko shutters and interchangeble lenses for much less money. You don't buy Leica SLRs or a Swiss Alpa 11, when there is a Nikon F2 or a F3. Nikon FM2 or Leica M6? Of course the Nikon: it is lighter, smaller, offers more reliability, functions in heavy cold because there is no oil in it, offers 1/4000 s, is affordable.

There is another solution already mentioned in this forum. It's the Intrepid 45 MK III.

It is great to see that they read the input from this forum - they consentiously solved most of the problems of MK I and II, and now they got a highly competitive camera that is lightweight and attractive, with a short lead time. Get one of these. They are worth every penny, they will function with lighter tripods, the people working in this workshop are earning honest money by selling new machines (in lieu of second-hand articles: Linhof doesn't get anything when others sell them second-hand).

The Intrepids from Brighton are the living proof that large format photography doesn't need 9000$ cameras, even when you can get them for next to nothing, second hand - what always means: reparation, restauration, reinvestment, further and further.

Regards.