PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane in SC

Gary Beasley
14-Sep-2018, 08:44
I hope everyone in the Carolinas are doing okay. One of my favorite campgrounds, Hunting Island is square in the way of Florence and it still had damage from the last hurricane. It will be interesting to see how it fares.
After the storm is past and recovery underway any guess when it will be prudent and safe to visit the numerous waterfalls in eastern SC which should be ripping with flood water?
It would also be good to hear from folks there and know they are safe.

bob carnie
14-Sep-2018, 08:54
Please be safe all our friends in the Area, it looks like a massive storm.

tgtaylor
14-Sep-2018, 09:34
After the storm is past and recovery underway any guess when it will be prudent and safe to visit the numerous waterfalls in eastern SC which should be ripping with flood water?

From personal experience fishing is unbelievable immediately following a hurricane for a day or two. On one occasion a friend and I caught over 90 Red Snapper within an hours time while fishing from a canoe in Lake Borgne near New Orleans after a hurricane had passed. It will take several days at least for all the water to drain.

Thomas

Bernice Loui
14-Sep-2018, 10:18
Be safe all on that area of the east coast. Problem with Hurricane Florence, it is a slow mover dumping HUGE volumes of water for long periods of time.

Worst and most damaging aspect of these storms is the sheer volume of water being dumped. While wind is a destructive, the water damage is equally or more serious.

Bernice

Willie
14-Sep-2018, 12:13
Hope one and all are safe and there is not a big earthquake like shattered the Carolinas a century ago. Would be a mess with waterlogged soil.

Corran
17-Sep-2018, 06:07
Willie, there was actually a small earthquake right near the SC / GA line last week before the storm hit.

I had an art festival this past weekend in Augusta, GA, but the storm scraped by with only a bit of wind and rain. The festival ended up being a huge hit, but my wife and I talked to many evacuees from the coastal area. I hope everything is okay for the folks up that way!

Jim Fitzgerald
17-Sep-2018, 10:47
I hope all of our friends and their families came through this crazy storm okay. The flooding is going to be very bad the way it sounds on the news reports. One can always rebuild. You only have one life so always be safe. Also, I hope those with friends and family in the Philippines and Hong Kong are okay as they were hit with 170 mph winds from a Super Typhoon. We got word that our grandchildren are okay as they were in the path of this storm. The storms are getting worse and more intense....... global warming is a fact.

bob carnie
17-Sep-2018, 10:56
I just talked to Sandy King he is safe in France and Sam Wang is safe in SC.

j.e.simmons
18-Sep-2018, 03:24
If you’re looking for a place to make a hurricane relief donation, The Salvation Army is always good. The past two years, hurricanes have hit here, and it was The Salvation Army that was first on the ground feeding people. You can designate where donations go on their website, and they don’t have high overheads like some other groups.