PDA

View Full Version : Advice on reflex viewer and folding viewer for Chamonix 45n2

Justin K
10-Sep-2018, 08:10
I searched and found some very old threads about these and am wondering if anyone has used the folding viewer and/or reflex viewer in their latest designs. I'm referring to the ones pictured here:

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/viewfinder.html

Can anyone recommend (or advise against!) using either or both of these?

The folding viewer looks like it may be tough to use with a loupe. The reflex viewer apparently loses a few stops of light (based on those old threads I read).

I'm interested in these because I love the folding viewer on my old Graflex and these seem like modern equivalents, to some extent. Basically they seem like they'd make composing easier and more enjoyable vs just a loupe on ground glass.

Thanks for any advice!

Bob Salomon
10-Sep-2018, 08:29
1: some companies, like Linhof, made their folding hood and their reflex viewer and their focus/metering bellows so that they swing easily away yet stay hinged to the back so you can get to the gg.
2: with a reflex viewer it is almost mandatory to have a Fresnel on the gg.
3: bear in mind, almost all reflex viewers only have about 2x magnification so you can observe the entire gg. Many users find that 2x is inadequate for critical focusing.
4: some companies like Wista made focusing magnifiers long enough to be used with a folding hood.

Greg
10-Sep-2018, 08:31
Have been using the Chamonix reflex viewer on my 4x5 Chamonix for more than a year. Find that I prefer to use it over a dark cloth for probably 95% of my shots. Haven't noticed it loosing a few stops of light though, to me the image actually looks brighter. Attaching it to the camera's back can be finicky at first, but then I added on some arrows to confirm when the finder is "locked onto" the back. Was more of the camera's operator's problem than with the design of the reflex back. My only wish is that Chamonix offered one for their Whole Plate and 8x10 cameras... I'd buy both in a second. Toyo-View offers an 8x10 Binocular reflex Hood but goes for $1,648.95 (B&H), is Special Order, and nonreturnable.

Dan Fromm
10-Sep-2018, 18:20
If the Chamonix and Toyo viewers are much like my 4x5 Cambo binocular viewer and the 2x3 Arca Swiss binocular viewer I had the pleasure of playing with a couple of years ago, their weight will tend to pull the focusing panel away from the camera. They have to be used with care.

B.S.Kumar
10-Sep-2018, 18:37
I have not seen the Chamonix and Arca-Swiss viewers. The Cambo viewer is much heavier than the Toyo and Wista 4x5 viewers. I have used both of the latter, and confirm that they will not pull the focusing panel away from the camera.

Kumar

Eric Woodbury
10-Sep-2018, 19:06
I have the 4x5 folding viewer. I had hoped I could use it in lieu of a darkcloth, but alas it is too deep to take the loupe I use. Still, the idea is good. I'm thinking of cutting it such that it splays wider and then adding a darkcloth to that. This would give excellent darkcloth properties with no leaks and prop up the cloth near the glass in the wind, etc. Some day.

LabRat
11-Sep-2018, 00:39
If the Chamonix and Toyo viewers are much like my 4x5 Cambo binocular viewer and the 2x3 Arca Swiss binocular viewer I had the pleasure of playing with a couple of years ago, their weight will tend to pull the focusing panel away from the camera. They have to be used with care.

Yes, this is true with mine... I use them while camera is on the copy stand and downshooting...

Steve K

Tin Can
13-Sep-2018, 15:10
All depends if your eyesight can adapt or be adapted. I have tried most variations, none are good for me.

Meaning binos, folding metal, monocular type...

I now use a 35mm camera lens for close focus and stand back from GG for framing.

Justin K
17-Sep-2018, 05:56
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied--I've learned a bunch from this thread already.